Wanna be a fishing guide?

andygrey

Apart from the casting instructor membership side of things, are there any relevant qualifications or exams etc for a river 'guide'?

Reg Wyatt
Nope, various organisations have considered putting together a 'guide' qualification but the assessment criteria is damn on nigh impossible to quantify.

EDIT:- ****!!! I hope this doses't kick-off an 'Understanding Guides' thread!

PaulD

EDIT:- ****!!! I hope this doses't kick-off an 'Understanding Guides' thread!
Shouldn't be a problem as everybody surely knows there's no 'understanding' of a guide.

All they do is turn up in their Range Rover SV Autobiography, take your money (with an addition for half-a-dozen must have flies) and then they bugger off, only to be seen again, smelling of alcohol at the end of the day.

jaybeegee

I really do not know, but I can tell you that they seem to be attracted to me and are desperate to tell me 'how it should be done' - I suspect that I am such a bad angler that they' take pity on me and are trying to help.

Over the past few years when in conversation with anglers - they have announced that they are 'guides' - Oh and another thing - They all look about 12 years old to me!

Douglas
Just about everybody looks about 12 years old to me Douglas.
B

ejw

Could be done with an NVQ, but then you would need to add another zero or two, to that 2K+. For a "hobby" a qualification is very expensive.
FYI - I helped put together the NVQ for Fly Tying, still with the OU, never been used, as it is too expensive to run. My role at the time was as an NVQ Co Ordinator / Assessor / Instructor and ran the companies Train the Trainer programme. I renewed my Training qualifications in 2013, two months before retiring ? The company had to go to a contact company to replace me at 2.5K per week !!!! No way was I going back.

lhomme

All you need is £2.5k and after a week you're ready to start taking peoples hard earned off them...

I am a guide and "moniteur responsable", certified in both Belgian regions. I am allowed to guide individuals and organise group events. Official degrees are given by governmental institutions, signed by ministers or director-generals. But the courses were much more elaborated (legislation, biology, first-aid, etc) and the exams (especially in Wallonia) are no walk in the park.

What do I make of the "final interview"? Is every paying participant a guide after seven days? When you failed the exam over here, there was no deliberation, only better luck next time. And the entrance fee was around 80 euros, I believe. I guess when you pay 2.5 K you expect to get a paper saying you're a guide, but what's in a name?

BobP

Bob's on here... I wonder if he will have an opinion on this (he has about pretty much everything else).
I have no opinion on the guide school and I see no reason for the personal insult expressed above. Since when has having an opinion or point of view been purely the preserve of some on here including the author of the above post and anyone else has to be shut up.

Mr Notherone

I have no opinion on the guide school and I see no reason for the personal insult expressed above. Since when has having an opinion or point of view been purely the preserve of some on here including the author of the above post and anyone else has to be shut up.

I'm sure it's just a bit of fun Bob and not to be taken too seriously.....

I'm more surprised that there is something you don't have an opinion on :)

andygrey

So... are you one of the Fishing Breaks Guide School instructors?

Last edited:

Paul_B

Every second angler on the upper Tweed professes to be a guide. We've got so many guides up this way, that we will soon need a guide qualification for someone to look after all the guides!

Perhaps they have all obtained their qualification from the above.

Douglas

a mate of mines one of them :)

eddleston123

So, as a novice, you could embark on this course and at the end of the week, be qualified to teach
all the skills of game angling to all and sundry. To pay two and a half grand to enable you to start a good going business, doesn't seem too steep to me.

In addition, I see in the small print that room service is supplied by young topless females!

Douglas

andygrey

So, as a novice, you could embark on this course and at the end of the week, be qualified to teach
all the skills of game angling to all and sundry. To pay two and a half grand to enable you to start a good going business, doesn't seem too steep to me.

In addition, I see in the small print that room service is supplied by young topless females!

Douglas
It's an unbelievably cynical attempt at money-making. Words really do fail me. I really hope that no one is drawn in by it.

Latest posts