Wanna be a fishing guide?

Reg Wyatt

It's an unbelievably cynical attempt at money-making. Words really do fail me. I really hope that no one is drawn in by it.
River keepers on the chalk streams refer to this company as Fleecing Brakes!
Are 'guides' allowed onto Tweed beats or indeed any Scottish rivers? I can't imagine ghillies being particularly happy about that?

Reg Wyatt

ohanzee

This is great, I'm doing it, not paying two and a half grand though because after reading that its clear you don't need to, all you need is the brass neck to pretend you are a bit of an authority and sell the dream, there is no delivery of the dream because the market is already saturated with dafties doing..ah courses for more fkn guides.

This is from a while back but I think its apt...

I'm working on a new type of 'fly fishing experience adventure break' it centers around drinking a lot of beer and talking rubbish in various highland pubs, before trying to find your tent in that drunk 'I'm sure it was over here' way, then shizzing yourself as your torch settles of a massive thing with antlers chewing on what looks suspiciously like the co op bag that had your breakfast in.

Day 2 begins with scavenging bits of pork pie left by the last nights visitor before setting off on a brisk walk that feels like 30 miles, uphill, includes fishing, a brief sighting of a golden eagle 44 miles up, or maybe it was a sea gull just 12 miles up who knows, I can't see the eye of a fly 6 inches from my face.

Day 3 is a new venue, after an hours drive in a car that smells of wet tent and socks that no one wants to mention incase its theirs, you arrive at..the pub, repeat previous 24 hours with an added waist depth ditch incident after spotting the perfect place to pee in the dark with a midge net on...which then activates all of the midges in the entire world.

Now none of this comes cheap, the bar bill alone is a serious overhead, and your very experienced guide...me....has many years of experience in the skills required to survive such an adventure, but you will experience the famous Scottish highland hill lochs and catch 400 kilo of stunning little wild brown trout, so many in fact that you will be sick looking at the damn things and stink of fish for days, and beer, you will stink of fish and beer, and korma mixed with beans because that pristine highland air and uphill jaunt will have you eating anything..all mixed together and heated in the same pot.

An experience to remember and tell your friends about.

And you get a hand written certificate qualifying you in anything you want, in fact you can write it yourself and I'll sign it for an extra £20.

andygrey

I have no opinion on the guide school and I see no reason for the personal insult expressed above. Since when has having an opinion or point of view been purely the preserve of some on here including the author of the above post and anyone else has to be shut up.
Bob, I'd be genuinely interested to hear your opinion, I'm sure you must have one as you work for FB's.

BobP

Bob, I'd be genuinely interested to hear your opinion, I'm sure you must have one as you work for FB's.
Perhaps you should have said that in the first place without the snide comment that rounded off the sentence. As it stands it is a matter for Fishing Breaks and as I am self-employed how they run the business is not my concern. I take the bookings when offered, do the guiding or teaching and that is that.

PaulD

As it stands it is a matter for Fishing Breaks and as I am self-employed how they run the business is not my concern. I take the bookings when offered, do the guiding or teaching and that is that.

. . . but how would you feel if the bookings weren't offered but went to someone who'd bought the following 'experience' ? -
  • Day 1 (Sunday): Arrive by noon. Lunch. Casting
  • Day 2 (Monday): Instructing. Knots. Gear. Guiding
  • Day 3 (Tuesday): Entomology. Fly selection. Guiding
  • Day 4 (Wednesday): River management. Restoration
  • Day 5 (Thursday) Overview of progress. Writing your CV. Guiding
  • Day 6 (Friday) Assessed guiding day with client
  • Day 7 (Saturday) Final interview. Course ends. Goodbyes
In my 'fishing life' I've never been a great user of Guides, however, when I have - fishing abroad in areas and on rivers who's nature is entirely 'alien' to my experience - I'd have expectations of the Guide's depth of knowledge, skills and understanding particular to where I'm fishing. I don't care how old he / she / or it is, whether they wear Simms or Hodgman waders, I don't need any casting tuition and I'll tie my own knots. Whether Guide arrived by noon and used the correct cutlery during lunch is of no interest to me. The Literary skill evidenced in the Guide's CV pales into insignificance if the river isn't 'known'.

bonefishblues

. . . but how would you feel if the bookings weren't offered but went to someone who'd bought the following 'experience' ? -
In my 'fishing life' I've never been a great user of Guides, however, when I have - fishing abroad in areas and on rivers who's nature is entirely 'alien' to my experience - I'd have expectations of the Guide's depth of knowledge, skills and understanding particular to where I'm fishing. I don't care how old he / she / or it is, whether they wear Simms or Hodgman waders, I don't need any casting tuition and I'll tie my own knots. Whether Guide arrived by noon and used the correct cutlery during lunch is of no interest to me. The Literary skill evidenced in the Guide's CV pales into insignificance if the river isn't 'known'.
My buddy & my own view of the role of a saltwater guide?

Take us to fish.
Keep us safe.

The end :)

JoeOh

you will be sharing a room with one other. On the cook’s night off, you will eat at the local pub where the cost will be shared.

At that price, I would definitely want my own room, especially where topless females are involved. Also not so sure about buying her a meal!

JoeOh

This is great, I'm doing it, not paying two and a half grand though because after reading that its clear you don't need to, all you need is the brass neck to pretend you are a bit of an authority and sell the dream, there is no delivery of the dream because the market is already saturated with dafties doing..ah courses for more fkn guides.

This is from a while back but I think its apt...

I'm working on a new type of 'fly fishing experience adventure break' it centers around drinking a lot of beer and talking rubbish in various highland pubs, before trying to find your tent in that drunk 'I'm sure it was over here' way, then shizzing yourself as your torch settles of a massive thing with antlers chewing on what looks suspiciously like the co op bag that had your breakfast in.

Day 2 begins with scavenging bits of pork pie left by the last nights visitor before setting off on a brisk walk that feels like 30 miles, uphill, includes fishing, a brief sighting of a golden eagle 44 miles up, or maybe it was a sea gull just 12 miles up who knows, I can't see the eye of a fly 6 inches from my face.

Day 3 is a new venue, after an hours drive in a car that smells of wet tent and socks that no one wants to mention incase its theirs, you arrive at..the pub, repeat previous 24 hours with an added waist depth ditch incident after spotting the perfect place to pee in the dark with a midge net on...which then activates all of the midges in the entire world.

Now none of this comes cheap, the bar bill alone is a serious overhead, and your very experienced guide...me....has many years of experience in the skills required to survive such an adventure, but you will experience the famous Scottish highland hill lochs and catch 400 kilo of stunning little wild brown trout, so many in fact that you will be sick looking at the damn things and stink of fish for days, and beer, you will stink of fish and beer, and korma mixed with beans because that pristine highland air and uphill jaunt will have you eating anything..all mixed together and heated in the same pot.

An experience to remember and tell your friends about.

And you get a hand written certificate qualifying you in anything you want, in fact you can write it yourself and I'll sign it for an extra £20.
Sounds great to me.... a lot better than locked dowm for the last few months... a least a beer woth someone other than the T.V.
Where do I sign up....

Tangled

I use guides a lot as I travel to fish whenever I can and they're pretty much essential when you have limited time and no knowledge. I've yet to find a bad one though I've usually done a lot of research and I know I've been lucky.

A good guide will not only put you on the fish with the right tactics but will also help with your casting and be good company.

I know on one occasion when there was really no point fishing, conditions were hopeless but that was the time I had, so we did it anyway. I just had about 6 hours excellent casting instruction on the river. Excellent value for money.

If they're going to be churning out fake guides with no experience, it's going to be even more important to do your research.

petevicar

They guides in the Keys all have captain's licenses. There is also a lot of competition and whereas new young guides are welcome, bad guides very rapidly get a bad reputation and are made unwelcome.

BobP

Without boasting about it, I am good at what I do. I can very rapidly assess a client's needs and if they want to tie their own knots then I'm fine with it. If the knot fails it is their fault not mine after all. I know the rivers and beats where I guide well, and in some cases exhaustively seeing as I spent 30 out of a 35 year career with the EA working in that area and on those rivers. Before that I spent 5 years as a river keeper on a chalkstream so I think you can safely assume that I know what I'm doing on those rivers. I am a good fly tyer and prefer that the clients use my flies as I have several patterns that are unique to me and I have complete faith in them. If the client wishes to use his own then I am comfortable with it. Saves me from lumping a heavy tackle bag around my waist all day after all. Same if a client wants to use his own rod instead of the "company" kit I can provide. Above all, I am observant and many years of doing it have taught me how to spot fish that others walk past. I do not give casting tuition to those who I am guiding for though I may well make a suggestion as to how to approach a specific set of circumstances. If the client asks for casting tuition he will receive it willingly, and if he/she is having difficulty in performing a cast or some other aspect of fishing I will offer to demonstrate. They are there to catch fish, and I see it as my job to create that set of circumstances if at all possible.

What would I do if the bookings dried up in favour of someone who has taken the guiding course? Nothing. I enjoy guiding and am good at it, but if it all ended then all good things must come to an end sooner or later.

wobbly face

I only know of one guide/instructor (wished I known earlier before I booked with him myself :rolleyes: ) that wasn't value for money. It wasn't that he was bad, infact he was good, just that he disappeared for half hour out of a 2 hour tuition session. Then there were the phone calls. ☹️ This just didn't happen to me. It also happened to a guy doing his guiding/instructors ticket, he used this guide/instructor for mentorship, GAIA. I believe the guide/instructor received some very strong words and docked half hour pay. (y)

codyarrow

Above all, I am observant and many years of doing it have taught me how to spot fish that others walk past.
That must be day 8. 🤣
Standing by the road (a fair distance from the river) on beat 3 of the Helmsdale with Johnny Hardy he pointed out fish after fish that no one else noticed, small nuances of water movement from a100yds away. He had 50 years of experience and 50 years of tall tales. (y)
He had not done a course though. Is it too late for a refund?