Wanna be a fishing guide?

BobP

I only know of one guide/instructor (wished I known earlier before I booked with him myself :rolleyes: ) that wasn't value for money. It wasn't that he was bad, infact he was good, just that he disappeared for half hour out of a 2 hour tuition session. Then there were the phone calls. ☹️ This just didn't happen to me. It also happened to a guy doing his guiding/instructors ticket, he used this guide/instructor for mentorship, GAIA. I believe the guide/instructor received some very strong words and docked half hour pay. (y)
This can go two ways, or three or even four. It depends on how many clients I have at one time. If more than one then obviously I have to make time to be with all of them and give them equal shares in my time. The furthest away one could be a mile up- or downstream so how long is it going to take to walk a mile there & back plus spend time with each client? Sometimes the main host says that he is experienced and would I give my attention to xxx and zzz. Fine, but I will pop in and see him once or twice as well.

Next, it is often a good idea to leave a client on his own for a while. Not everyone is that comfortable with an "expert" at his shoulder. I often make an excuse to leave them. "Just going to nip back to the hut for a few minutes. Are you going to be OK?" Then when I get 50 yards away I risk a look back and it is as if he has had a great weight lifted off his shoulders. By the time I get back - rarely more than 15-20 minutes - he has started to fish. He has relaxed and the rest of the day is fine.

I keep my phone on, but try not to make or take calls unless necessary. If people call I might tell them I am working and will call back later either at lunch or close of play.

codyarrow,

Seeing fish is half the battle. It has been said that a fish seen is a fish caught, but that depends on the ability of the person at the blunt end.

Back in 2018 I was guiding a chap on the upper Test. A wide bit of river which was very low & clear in bright sunshine and very hot. The far bank was treelined and there was a gap of about 10' between two trees which cast dappled shade onto the water between them helped by small bushes.

Something caught my eye and I stopped to watch. After a few minutes the client asked what I was staring at. I pointed out the gap and said that I was almost certain that there was a fish in there. I had seen a movement which could have just been a patch of dappled shade moving in what passed for breeze but I didn't think so. The client said he thought it was too far for him. It was nearly 20 yards and was certainly a testing cast. I said that he should have a go. Nothing to lose apart from the fly and I had plenty more of those.

First cast stopped about a yard short and a yard downstream. I said it was a yard short and a yard further upstream for the next go. The fly landed and a trout scoffed it instantly. 30 seconds later we had a 1.5lb brown in the net. The client was delighted and so he should be. It was not an easy cast by any means and a lot would have fluffed it. He would not have caught that fish if I had not been there.

That was a day when a single fish made all the difference.

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Benny, do your guides need to learn lifesaving skills? Something in the back of my mind says that I've read so, but it may vary from state to state.

Not that I spend my time thinking about it depending on my guest - honest!

wobbly face

BobP. I'd booked 1 to 1 so on my own. Others I spoke too were also on 1 to 1. One of those I spoke to also said the guide/instructor's mate turned up and he went off chatting to him.
Anyway, I've had several group guided days and they were excellent. Went very much as you posted above. (y)

bennysbuddy

Hi, Benny, do your guides need to learn lifesaving skills? Something in the back of my mind says that I've read so, but it may vary from state to state.

Not that I spend my time thinking about it depending on my guest - honest!
Not in Washington state, but most of them can pop a cap off a beer bottle with their. front teeth. All joking aside there are a few truly professional guides that are extremely skilled. But then there are the weekend hacks that are novice fishers trying to pay a boat off with client fees & they sadly make up a large percentage of the so called guides. There is strong thoughts about making a set of required skills mandatory to hold a guides license in Washington state,now to guide any saltwater your need a U.S. coast guard captains endorsement.

petevicar

I have fished with about 20 different guides in the Keys, 10 or so in the Bahamas, 5 or six in Cuba, half a dozen in Los Roques, about 10 in the Seychelles.
For salmon - 3 or 4 in Norway, 6 in Ireland including boatmen, 10 or so Gillies in Scotland, 10 or so guides in Iceland, 4 in Canada
In Alaska about 6 for trout and salmon.

If you want to discuss what makes a good guide, I have some experience. Maybe another thread.

colliedog

What’s the difference between a Guide and a Ghillie? Genuine question from someone who has used neither.
A ghillie is usually provided by the estate as part of the fishing tenancy, but sometimes optional at additional cost.

A guide is freelance and may take clients to private or public water depending on the arragement.

A guide turning up unannounced with clients on a ghillied beat can result in WWIII breaking out.

Paul_B

A ghillie will know where the fish are, a guide will guess or ask ghillie,

Its much better to take some time out and learn to read the water and take note of weather, if that fails stick a bung on :ROFLMAO:

andygrey

I have fished with about 20 different guides in the Keys, 10 or so in the Bahamas, 5 or six in Cuba, half a dozen in Los Roques, about 10 in the Seychelles.
For salmon - 3 or 4 in Norway, 6 in Ireland including boatmen, 10 or so Gillies in Scotland, 10 or so guides in Iceland, 4 in Canada
In Alaska about 6 for trout and salmon.

If you want to discuss what makes a good guide, I have some experience. Maybe another thread.
I started one a while back...

Reg Wyatt

They are there to catch fish, and I see it as my job to create that set of circumstances if at all possible.
In the UK, it's the full time river keepers/ghillies job and always has been. 'Guides' on chalkstreams are a relatively new, totally unnecessary, invention as a way of companies such as the afore mentioned Fleecing Brakes to make money - nothing more nothing less. £340 a day plus you are asked to tip because the poor old 'guide' only gets paid about £120 of that fee. I don't blame any of these 'guides' doing what they want but it is nothing more than facilitating a rip off and something that the Test and Itchen in particular should be embarrassed about. The river keeper on the chalkstreams or ghillie in Scotland/Ireland are the people who will give you all the help and advice that you need.
'Guides' are what you use in Iceland, Montana, Cuba, New Zealand etc.

Reg Wyatt

andygrey

Perhaps you should have said that in the first place without the snide comment that rounded off the sentence. As it stands it is a matter for Fishing Breaks and as I am self-employed how they run the business is not my concern. I take the bookings when offered, do the guiding or teaching and that is that.
So Bob, and I'm not trying to be proactive here... but are you one of the instructors for the FB Guide School?