Wanna be a fishing guide?

BobP

In the UK, it's the full time river keepers/ghillies job and always has been. 'Guides' on chalkstreams are a relatively new, totally unnecessary, invention as a way of companies such as the afore mentioned Fleecing Brakes to make money - nothing more nothing less. £340 a day plus you are asked to tip because the poor old 'guide' only gets paid about £120 of that fee. I don't blame any of these 'guides' doing what they want but it is nothing more than facilitating a rip off and something that the Test and Itchen in particular should be embarrassed about. The river keeper on the chalkstreams or ghillie in Scotland/Ireland are the people who will give you all the help and advice that you need.
'Guides' are what you use in Iceland, Montana, Cuba, New Zealand etc.

Reg Wyatt
When I was a river keeper, which I was for almost 5 years, I didn't have time in my day to spend hours of it looking after rods on the river, not that any of them needed it. Obviously Reg has very little to do on his beat. I had 6.5 miles split up into 5 different beats to look after single-handed. BTW Reg, the Test is not the only river in the country you know, much as you appear to think so.

Keepers of my acquaintance are only too happy with Fishing Breaks rods, and I do know a few, obviously. The one thing a good river keeper hates is no rods on the river, though probably Reg is the exception. I certainly did. No rods and one wonders what all the work is for. I know of one fishery on the Kennet which is delighted with the situation. Fishing Breaks fees for 5 months effectively pays his wages for the whole year. Another fishery told me that FB do him a real favour. He doesn't need to market his fishery. All he does is bank the cheque every month.

bobmiddlepoint

All you need is £2.5k and after a week you're ready to start taking peoples hard earned off them...

I think the most realistic route into guiding (or the much more noble profession of a ghillie) for the vast majority is to get a proper job and then fish as much as possible in your spare time. Then once you have half a life time of fishing experience (plus all the other skills such as the aforementioned marriage guidance etc) you find some way of falling into guiding (or ghillying if you are really good). That's how it worked for me.

Andy

Reg Wyatt

When I was a river keeper, which I was for almost 5 years, I didn't have time in my day to spend hours of it looking after rods on the river, not that any of them needed it. Obviously Reg has very little to do on his beat. I had 6.5 miles split up into 5 different beats to look after single-handed. BTW Reg, the Test is not the only river in the country you know, much as you appear to think so.

Keepers of my acquaintance are only too happy with Fishing Breaks rods, and I do know a few, obviously. The one thing a good river keeper hates is no rods on the river, though probably Reg is the exception. I certainly did. No rods and one wonders what all the work is for. I know of one fishery on the Kennet which is delighted with the situation. Fishing Breaks fees for 5 months effectively pays his wages for the whole year. Another fishery told me that FB do him a real favour. He doesn't need to market his fishery. All he does is bank the cheque every month.
Stop guessing everything Bob and making things up, you know nothing at all about me. You can't just say 'appear to think' or 'probably' or just your normal waffle Bob. My point is very clear; Up until fairly recently there were never such things as 'guides.' Companies such as Fishing Breaks, Famous Fishing, Upstream Dry Fly and countless others invented the need for 'guides' to make more money for themselves. It's phoney Bob, a con and just a rip off on chalkstream beats that are often less than a mile long. I too know lots of river keepers and they have a slightly more abrupt opinion of the point of 'guides' and Fishing Breaks. Like you say, all they're concerned about is banking the cheque every month.

Reg Wyatt

andygrey

I think the most realistic route into guiding (or the much more noble profession of a ghillie) for the vast majority is to get a proper job and then fish as much as possible in your spare time. Then once you have half a life time of fishing experience (plus all the other skills such as the aforementioned marriage guidance etc) you find some way of falling into guiding (or ghillying if you are really good). That's how it worked for me.

Andy
I fell into it pretty much by accident (or a series of accidents truth be told...).
I'm a very firm believer that the job finds you, you don't find the job.

BobP

And that is more or less how it worked for me. 40 years in fisheries management at private and public sector; a lifetime of fishing for pretty much everything that swims in freshwater in these islands; fished for England; fly fished in all sorts of waters - lakes, reservoirs, lochs, llyns, loughs, chalkstreams and freestone rivers in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Austria, France and British Columbia; 50 years of fly tying. When I retired I wanted something that I would enjoy doing, that I knew a lot about, and would keep the brain cells ticking over. Guiding does it for me.

BobP

Stop guessing everything Bob and making things up, you know nothing at all about me. You can't just say 'appear to think' or 'probably' or just your normal waffle Bob. My point is very clear; Up until fairly recently there were never such things as 'guides.' Companies such as Fishing Breaks, Famous Fishing, Upstream Dry Fly and countless others invented the need for 'guides' to make more money for themselves. It's phoney Bob, a con and just a rip off on chalkstream beats that are often less than a mile long. I too know lots of river keepers and they have a slightly more abrupt opinion of the point of 'guides' and Fishing Breaks. Like you say, all they're concerned about is banking the cheque every month.

Reg Wyatt
Funny is it not that the fisheries that are with these companies that you so despise seem to stay with them, in some cases for decades.? Must be a reason for that, and that reason is that the fishery owners want to make money out of the fishery and are happy with the arrangement. Long gone are the days when someone could own a stretch of river for their own pleasure. These days it is an asset that has to earn its keep and it'll do that by having syndicates or day rods or a mixture of both.

And as for beats being less than a mile long, some are but that is not the fault of FB or any of the other companies you mention. I could take you to one beat I guide on and get you lost. It is near enough 5 miles of main river and carriers and there is another fishery upstream that has 2.5 miles of main river and carriers. You don't know anything like as much as the rubbish you spout so virulently.

It puzzles me why you are so vehemently anti. It is almost paranoid in your hatred. What happened? Did you get turned down for a guiding job one time? Not good enough maybe? Got to be some reason for someone to have so much hatred spilling out of them.

Noodles

What’s the difference between a Guide and a Ghillie? Genuine question from someone who has used neither.
In scotland a ghillie is employed by the estate that owns a stretch of water or lochs.

A guide is a person who cant get a job as ghillie because the wages are not satisfactory enough to keep their Thai brides expensive lifestyle going

bobmiddlepoint

In scotland a ghillie is employed by the estate that owns a stretch of water or lochs.

A guide is a person who cant get a job as ghillie because the wages are not satisfactory enough to keep their Thai brides expensive lifestyle going

That's the other thing, the money isn't amazing (most of the time). On Uist there were two really keen young lads (early twenties) who did a bit of ghillieing but it was never going to buy them a house so they got proper jobs. I expect there is a good chance they will drift back to it in later life.

Anyway I gave up all that nonsense to be a bailiff but in that role you have to steer clear of Thai brides in case they are honey traps.

Andy

boisker

good to know.... I always assumed it was that ghillies wore tweed and guides SIMMs.... 😂

Reg Wyatt

It puzzles me why you are so vehemently anti. It is almost paranoid in your hatred. What happened? Did you get turned down for a guiding job one time? Not good enough maybe? Got to be some reason for someone to have so much hatred spilling out of them.
No Bob, not sure why you use the word hatred so many times and no idea what you mean by a guiding job? I'm not good enough? Not good enough to con people out of £340 a day? (plus please tip) I'm vehemently anti anything that is a rip off and that's absolutely the whole point of 'guides' on chalkstreams and the company that you're so proud of known as Fleecing Brakes. Crack on Bob, no worries or hatred.

Reg Wyatt

JoeOh

Oh gosh, that hurts. My wife and my absolute best friend was Thai. Loved seafood, not so keen on fishing.
I have a slight inkling where your thought may have come from... He's possibly enjoying 35 degrees in Cha Am. Thailand
Cheers Joe

ohanzee

Bob seems to be getting a bit of a grilling but the boring reality it that anyone working with visiting anglers that don't know what to do is doing the same thing, just helping them, gillies, guides whatever get a turn because they did ok with the last 'client' and so on, I reckon Bob is pretty good to still be getting a turn, better man then me there.
I know a couple, great company and the best gossip, but when its between me an a fish I prefer to be on my own, that aside the the marketing nonsense in that website is a load of croc, almost insulting to those that actually give a damn and try to help those that arrive for whatever reason unable to catch a trout without a few pointers.
Beyond the bullshix of that website there are guys that do a job and they work for it, boat out on South Uist or guiding on chalkstreams, like any job if you don't hack it your not in it long.

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

Bob seems to be getting a bit of a grilling but the boring reality it that anyone working with visiting anglers that don't know what to do is doing the same thing, just helping them, gillies, guides whatever get a turn because they did ok with the last 'client' and so on, I reckon Bob is pretty good to still be getting a turn, better man then me there.
I know a couple, great company and the best gossip, but when its between me an a fish I prefer to be on my own, that aside the the marketing nonsense in that website is a load of croc, almost insulting to those that actually give a damn and try to help those that arrive for whatever reason unable to catch a trout without a few pointers.
Beyond the bullshix of that website there are guys that do a job and they work for it, boat out on South Uist or guiding on chalkstreams, like any job if you don't hack it your not in it long.
33years a Boeing I must be somewhat handy a machine tool repair, I may have to try my hand at steelhead guiding after forty years of fly fishing experience I might be good at it.

caeran

Some people don’t have the time or the patience to develop the knowledge skills and attitudes to become proficient in any chosen field
They want to enjoy the experience maybe just once or twice and move on to something else
So you can pay to bypass the hard work and time spent gaining experience
So for a few hundred pounds maybe even more you can
Drive a Ferrari
Raz around a motor racing circuit in a single seater
Fly a light aircraft - once the instructor has got it into the air
Stand on the footplate of a steam locomotive
Dozens of such “ experiences” available at Amazon and even Boots the chemist

And maybe they just fancy a go at fly fishing for an afternoon just to tick that box
They don’t have to buy any gear
Get to fling a bit of fluff and maybe just maybe catch a decent fish
Photograph to prove it on the mantle piece
Job done
They are happy to pay
The “ guide “ gets paid
A deal between two consenting adults
No harm done

And next weekend they will try sky diving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobmiddlepoint

Some people don’t have the time or the patience to develop the knowledge skills and attitudes to become proficient in any chosen field
They want to enjoy the experience maybe just once or twice and move on to something else
So you can pay to bypass the hard work and time spent gaining experience
So for a few hundred pounds maybe even more you can
Drive a Ferrari
Raz around a motor racing circuit in a single seater
Fly a light aircraft - once the instructor has got it into the air
Stand on the footplate of a steam locomotive
Dozens of such “ experiences” available at Amazon and even Boots the chemist

And maybe they just fancy a go at fly fishing for an afternoon just to tick that box
They don’t have to buy any gear
Get to fling a bit of fluff and maybe just maybe catch a decent fish
Photograph to prove it on the mantle piece
Job done
They are happy to pay
The “ guide “ gets paid
A deal between two consenting adults
No harm done

And next weekend they will try sky diving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I get that and that's fine.
But would you want to go flying or skydiving with someone who went on a course last week and to learnt how to remove the chocks and pull the rip cord?

Andy