Want slightly more distance

karlsson

I've just had a look at OPST Commando lines . . . £52.99 for a 12ft line. (13' 6" for a 5/6)

Any chance these guys are related to Tom Bell?
I know for a fact they aren't 🤣

LukeNZ

Throwing nice tight loops won't get you far fishing locally.
View attachment 29626
most of the fishers I know learned to fish in the burn and river, had anyone had got lessons it wouldn't have been much use to them for the fishing they done, a lot of self taught went on to be very successful anglers not necessarily the best casters.
View attachment 29627
I might well be wrong I'll happily stand corrected but I don't think an instructor can help an individual to fish the likes without considerable money outlay.
I wouldn't mind a few lessons but I don't think there essential to success.

Al
Al, .....you need to get a working bee together, get down there with your chainsaws and slashers! 🤣

LukeNZ

Morning Luke yes for the right circumstances a skagit line is a great asset to have, i've only recently considered using one on the river with a sh rod, like others I seen them as crude splashy lines and never considered using my one for anything other than casting pike flies.

I found casting it touch and go a bit hit and miss, it had to be anchored to get a consistent turn over and landing straight but I'll leave that for the trout spey thread 👍.

Al

OPST Skagit heads in the lighter weights. 180-220gn. with a 2-5ft. floating OPST micro tip then 9-15ft. maxima green (of course!) leader. Delicate as any Scandi head. And at least as delicate as any WF/DT floating line that properly loads the same rod. With guaranteed extra distance if you want/need it.

Go with the mono type shooting line in lighter head weights - OPST Lazar or similar, but specially if you want more distance.

I go for the OPST heads in Smooth (running line integrated), to avoid the head to running line loop snagging in the tip ring, and also because line speed is reduced slightly because the integrated running line is coated they feel, well - smooth!

🙃

Last edited:

Hardrar

I’ve used the Rio outbound, Lee Wulff Ambush and OPST Commando lines, but in a saltwater (and very windy) situation out in the Flatts and they work really well and load really fast for the quick casts needed, but a stripping basket will help you achieve the extra few yards you require, as much as changing your line.

Paul_B

I’ve used the Rio outbound, Lee Wulff Ambush and OPST Commando lines, but in a saltwater (and very windy) situation out in the Flatts and they work really well and load really fast for the quick casts needed, but a stripping basket will help you achieve the extra few yards you require, as much as changing your line.
Could be right about the basket, the amount of times I cast short due to the line pulling up weeds 🤣 🤣

Hardrar

Could be right about the basket, the amount of times I cast short due to the line pulling up weeds 🤣 🤣
If you tie it high round your waist, the out bound line doesn’t have to pull the loose line from so low down either, which acts as a brake. Worthwhile investment and saves your line from abrasion in Gravel, Coral etc.

rusty

Why all this distance when the fish are passing by your feet
You are quite right. George Barron suggests a mid actioned rod and fish close in.
Since I have been fishing the waters in question for over 50 years I am inclined to agree.

Rusty

boisker

Actually said to me by a guide, forget the ones out there what is wrong with the ones under your feet.
Do you disagree with that statement
Yes... why not have the challenge of catching both... no one would suggest don’t bother with the close in fish, so why the reverse....
perhaps your guide was a realist and just knew your casting wasn’t going to get out any distance...
Personally if fish were rising at 70’ and beyond I’d want to cast to them... aerialising a decent length of line is great fun

glueman

Yes... why not have the challenge of catching both... no one would suggest don’t bother with the close in fish, so why the reverse....
perhaps your guide was a realist and just knew your casting wasn’t going to get out any distance...
Personally if fish were rising at 70’ and beyond I’d want to cast to them... aerialising a decent length of line is great fun
Most of my fishing is done on small rivers that are bank and no wadeing so 70 ft would be a complete waste of effort other than catching cows on the other bank

karlsson

Most of my fishing is done on small rivers that are bank and no wadeing so 70 ft would be a complete waste of effort other than catching cows on the other bank
And most of my fishing is done on the baltic coast, 70 feet would have me staying home on a windy day, so not having game is a waste of time 😉
Context matters alot....

Attachments

• 78693589_3167667536583505_5221591075474374656_o.jpg
    78693589_3167667536583505_5221591075474374656_o.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 12

rusty

Here is the original post-
I am an experienced caster so no advice needed there. I have the 9’6” Sage X 5w and want to know if loading 6w line will give me a better experience on the large windswept Elan valley reservoirs? I’ve never really loaded one weight up but am curious. Don’t want a 6w rod either as I enjoy the fight my
5w gives me with those small brownies.

We have been around the houses but the answer is 'NO'

Rusty

ohanzee

Here is the original post-
I am an experienced caster so no advice needed there. I have the 9’6” Sage X 5w and want to know if loading 6w line will give me a better experience on the large windswept Elan valley reservoirs? I’ve never really loaded one weight up but am curious. Don’t want a 6w rod either as I enjoy the fight my
5w gives me with those small brownies.

We have been around the houses but the answer is 'NO'

Rusty

The little extra weight will slow the action of the rod a bit, feels nice at very short range, and bend the rod a bit more, it will also shoot easier, you will like it for a while but gradually feel it a bit spongy, switching back to the 5 weight at that point will feel zippy and more dynamic.

For me it feels spongy after 10 mins.

Latest posts