Want slightly more distance

easker1

I have watched a lot of speycasters while I was gillying what looks like a wham! is a lot more controlled. a wham! could make the long rod hit the wate which is not what you would want
easker1

W.Andy

Hi Andy

No, its a cheating setup, a rod that says 5 and a line that says 5 but really is a 7.. Rio single hand spey 😊 thing is, a MED 5 will do similar, but requires a bit more technique.
I'm very glad you got something out of the clip! Makes me happy 😊

Cheers
Lasse
I think I did the similar with 5wt radian and 5wt barrio slx (not PUALD tho!), I could cast the whole line, but the softer tip on radian didn't seem to have enough control over the loop at longer end and felt quite shaky I would say.... so I soon changed it back to my SA med 5.
What I found useful in your video tho, is actually your starting point of PUALD. It's a lot higher than normal, so I did go out and try your way, and my loop definitely got narrower when I pulled it off! And I was able to cast PUALD to 30m today several time (I, too, cheated with a 6wt rod tho)
So big thanks to your video for it was quite inspiring!

Best regards
Andy

karlsson

And yes, we can all take a length of line that too little effort can't cast, then use too much effort and cast it, well done.

Point remains, without technique in casting a line its going nowhere, any beginner can demonstrate that.
Do an overhead cast with 1o feet of flyline, with a vertical rodplane and get that line to fail to roll over, please 🙂

And nope, might be your beginners, I see plenty that manage to get a line to go somewhere, of course it goes further with technique, but I already said that 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

ohanzee

Do an overhead cast with 1o feet of flyline, with a vertical rodplane and get that line to fail to roll over, please 🙂

And nope, might be your beginners, I see plenty that manage to get a line to go somewhere, of course it goes further with technique, but I already said that 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

I think the essential message is that technique is a more key factor than the force.

geenomad

I think the essential message is that technique is a more key factor than the force.
Yep. Unfortunately, instinct (among others) is sending the opposite message. None of that helps folks who want to cast better and (like all of us with red blood in our veins) further.

Had an idea for a while now to shoot some vids of casts to various distances in various ways and then crop out the line turnover and maybe the shoot. Viewers would be asked to guesstimate "how far that one went". Answers to follow. Might even edit out the back cast on some and just show the delivery.

Cheers
Mark

ohanzee

Yep. Unfortunately, instinct (among others) is sending the opposite message. None of that helps folks who want to cast better and (like all of us with red blood in our veins) further.

Had an idea for a while now to shoot some vids of casts to various distances in various ways and then crop out the line turnover and maybe the shoot. Viewers would be asked to guesstimate "how far that one went". Answers to follow. Might even edit out the back cast on some and just show the delivery.

Cheers
Mark

If its anything like my attempts at filming in profile you won't need to cut much out, to fit both back and forward casts in the camera ended up 180' away, I looked like someone waving from quarter of a mile away :)

My problem is not casting far, its casting far on a bank with stuff behind, or casting far without the running line catching grass and heather, how come that never comes up?