Wanted G Loomis GL3 9’9” #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty90

Looking for a loomis gl3 9’9” 7 weight, it’s an old rod and 2 piece but I love mine and I’m looking for a spare incase it gets bust.

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Scotty, that's a pretty rare rod you're looking for - especially in the UK. As far as I know the GL1/2/3 series were a rewrite of the three G. Loomis series of rods prior to the GLX, i.e. 96% Graphite/IM6/IMX respectively.
The IMX range had a couple of generations, the earliest with 'glass scrim, the 2nd Gen with carbon scrim ferules so, if you get no joy finding a GL3 9' 9" #7 you should find (should you see one!) an IMX 9' 9" #7 IMX damned close to your current GL3. Both verge on 'hen's teeth' but perhaps the earlier rendition will be close enough to be a decent back up should you come across one. The cosmetics will be different but the blank should be pretty much the same. All the best in your search. Should I see either on eBayUk I'll drop you a pm. It might be worth your while setting a Worldwide search for it on eBay if you're prepared to pay import taxes from the U.S.

9' 9" is an interesting length and not often seen. I've just read today that the next range of Hardy Sintrex will include some 9' 9"s but at a price! I'd be interested to know what style of fishing you do which makes it a favourite for you. I can see it being a useful length/weight for boat fishing in #7 for grilse and larger trout but I'm curious as to which niche of our sport you find it most suitable,
Cheers,
Lewis.

Scotty90

Hi Lewis, its a rare rod for sure, I’ve been looking for one for ages. I fish reservoirs and lochs for Rainbow trout predominantly, from a boat and the bank. I already have a gl3 in the configuration I’m looking for and I just love it, I love the action and the way it feels when casting and playing fish. I have owned all of the Hardy sintrix rods they have released since they started it and the only one held onto is a 9’6” #7 shadow sintrix, the zenith was probably the best of the bunch but I sold the ones I had.

I don’t like any one action/rod type/flex more than another or anything niche like that, I just like some individual rods more than others (sounds strange but the best I can explain it). I have tried hundreds of rods and moved many of them on, some I have kept. I have an Atomsix elemental 10’ 7# that is far more powerful and a totally different feel to the gl3 for example but it’s another rod I love to fish.

i know it will be hard to find but maybe someone has a gl3 tucked away, I’m scared incase mines breaks and I’ll never be able to replace it.

I have looked on the USA eBay but there are none in that config right now, I can wait as I do already have one and it’s just for a spare.

scott

Rob Edmunds

I'm in the same boat as you Scotty.....one of the most underappreciated rods ever made in my opinion and often looked down on probably because of its length....9ft 9"

My Mrs prefers these to her GLX-D's, as a 10ft rod makes your casting action slightly different.....and these are easier for her

I picked a couple up earlier this year but paid handsomely for the privilege approx £160 a rod second hand.

I too am on the lookout for 2 piece GL3's , GLX and GLX'Ds....in #7 or 8. .

As Me, the Mrs, my Son and Father all love them ..but they are difficult to find now and any that do come up attract a premium price because they are so difficult to get

Last edited:

Scotty90

The newer loomis rods are not a patch on the old ones. Older models are far better, I have a 10 foot 7 weight glxd as well but it’s not as nice a fishing rod as the gl3. I’d happily pay £160 no problem, the only other rod I’ve liked as much as the gl3 is a sage method 9’6” 6# and again that’s a totally different rod from the loomis but just another one of those sweet rods, I sold mines last year or the year before on here and I wish I never but that’s a whole other story.
Definitely share your opinion Rob, gl3 is up there with my favourite rods ever if not my absolute favourite, very underrated.
Holding out hope I can come across one, mines is in very good condition because I take care of it but you never know what could happen breakage wise and I’d hate for it to not have a spare.

Rob Edmunds

My Holy Grail are the 2 piece Loomis's....all models except the IMX....I'm not that keen on them at all.

These 3 and 4 piece rods just break.....the more pieces, the more chance of one coming loose, especially the tip section on modern fast actioned rods, there's usually a loud crack as I blow them up... My ladbis just the same, he's pretty brutal, punching big flies into headwinds.....already broken 2 rods this season..Thankfully the Mrs is a bit easier going

I even considered epoxying the sections of 4 piece rod together...just to create a 2 piece 😂😂.....but decided against it.

Scotty90

Yeah four piece rods are great for storing in the car or travelling etc but they twist too much and you are right about them breaking easier, I’ve broken loads of rods as well, mainly at the ferrules where they have just cracked and got progressively worse (Various rods) or the second section around 3 1/2 foot from the tip (all airflo comp special rods ???) and I’ve shut a few in car doors. 2 piece can be a pain to transport but they are better in my opinion.

epoxying sections together is savage😂 don't know I’d have the neck to glue an 800 quid rod together but maybe an airflo or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.