Wanted: Nymphing rod

ukriverfly

Hi folks,

I'm on the hunt for a Nymphing Rod Setup.

A rod and a reel combo would be ideal but the Rod itself would be a good start..

My preferred rods would be:

Sage ESN
Hanak SLT
Marryat Tactical Pro

Or if you have something which would Interest me, please give me a shout. I'll be using the French Nymphing long leader technique so I'd require a rod 10ft+ around a 3wt please.

Looking forward to seeing what's out there.

Sean..

Waltyluft

Don't ignore the Greys Streamflex Plus just because it doesn't have the big name bling factor Sean.

I have the 9'6 (to 10') #3 and it's great. Quite a few of the local guides use them so they can't be bad.

rockslider

the vision nymphomaniac should be looked at! from a marryat tactical pro nymph owner! surely a orvis recon would be a bit stiff for a nymph rod?

tierradelfuego

I've got a used Vision Onki in a 10' #3, if you wanted something a good bit cheaper. Still pretty light at about 83g compared to 70g roughly for the lightest of the light nymphing rods. Nice soft tip from a nymphing perspective... Shout if interested Sean, or anyone else.

danielp

Don't ignore the Greys Streamflex Plus just because it doesn't have the big name bling factor Sean.

I have the 9'6 (to 10') #3 and it's great. Quite a few of the local guides use them so they can't be bad.
I have the Streamflex plus 9'6" - 10' 3wt and the Marryat Tactical Pro 10'6" 3wt and they are both brilliant rods. For out and out nymphing the Marryat is better, small things like the first ring being closer to the reel make a big difference. If i may be chopping and changing between methods the Grey's is better, it is a real jack of all trades.

Waltyluft

I have the Streamflex plus 9'6" - 10' 3wt and the Marryat Tactical Pro 10'6" 3wt and they are both brilliant rods. For out and out nymphing the Marryat is better, small things like the first ring being closer to the reel make a big difference. If i may be chopping and changing between methods the Grey's is better, it is a real jack of all trades.
Funny you mention the first ring on the Greys.
Howard Croston did a talk last year at Durham Fly Tiers and he said that he often whips an extra ring on his rods between the first ring and the handle.
I may try that on my streamflex +.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

danielp

Funny you mention the first ring on the Greys.
Howard Croston did a talk last year at Durham Fly Tiers and he said that he often whips an extra ring on his rods between the first ring and the handle.
I may try that on my streamflex +.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Makes a massive difference when "leader to hand" nymphing. Makes line control that much easier as there is no sag between the ring and the reel so much easier to keep in the finger etc.

I am not sure it would be a good idea if you cast a fly line with the same rod though, assume it would likely have a detrimental effect on a "standard" cast setup

ROVER

Trade Member
Hi folks,

I'm on the hunt for a Nymphing Rod Setup.

A rod and a reel combo would be ideal but the Rod itself would be a good start..

My preferred rods would be:

Sage ESN
Hanak SLT
Marryat Tactical Pro

Or if you have something which would Interest me, please give me a shout. I'll be using the French Nymphing long leader technique so I'd require a rod 10ft+ around a 3wt please.

Looking forward to seeing what's out there.

Sean..
Sean

You need to find a new vice to waste your money on, have you tried hookers and coke?

midgiedodger

Hi There , I tried to private message you but it seems that I'm not yet entitled to private message anyone. I am therefore 'public messaging you ! If you could contact me and leave a phone number I will let you know of a top quality outfit that is available and may be exactly what you are after.
Regards

ukriverfly

Hi There , I tried to private message you but it seems that I'm not yet entitled to private message anyone. I am therefore 'public messaging you ! If you could contact me and leave a phone number I will let you know of a top quality outfit that is available and may be exactly what you are after.
Regards
Hi there I've messaged you

Sean..

teeser

well done for answering sean impossible to waste money on hookers and coke unless its diet coke eh

Latest posts