Warrington Angling Club

byronj

Hi I have just moved to the Cheshire area and I am thinking of joining the Warrington angling club but I only fly fish mainly rivers, does anyone know if it would be worth it.
many thanks.
bj

G

GEK79

Hi I have just moved to the Cheshire area and I am thinking of joining the Warrington angling club but I only fly fish mainly rivers, does anyone know if it would be worth it.
many thanks.
bj
I'm sure you'll find some gold advice here..

wobbly face

They have a few bits of rivers that offer mixed fishing (includes trout and grayling). Not all local to Cheshire. £100 pa for over 18s isn't too bad compared to some clubs. You'd need to do some homework, check the stretches (length) and how good they are for fly fishing. I don't know of any members of WAA anymore. I did think of joining myself some time back but joined Prince Albert (PAAS) instead, which I've since dropped.

pedros

I have been a WAA member for about 12 years only for the river fishing local to Chester - 2 beats of the lower Dee and the River Alyn which I can reach in 15 minutes. Alas they are all marginally over the Welsh border so not presently fishable if you live in England.
The two beats of the Dee are opposite banks to Bangor-on-Dee angling so you can check Bangor's site and the WAA maps for an explanation of what to expect. Good dry fly fishing for Grayling in late summer and early autumn - you'll hardly ever see another angler.
The River Alyn used to be fantastic for Grayling and was worth the annual membership on its own merit, but my experience over the last few years is that winter Cormorant predation has radically reduced the numbers of Grayling. It could be something else, but the cormorant presence in the Winter has definitely increased...
There were large numbers of mink all along the Alyn, but trapping and an increase in the number of otters have almost eliminated the mink. I've even stood face to face with Stoat scrambling through the bankside undergrowth on occasion.
BTW, the £100 would only be for the first season, £50pa after that

Hope this helps?

byronj

Thanks for your reply looks ok, if you only fish local to Chester and you seem happy, there must be many more sites further afield that might be worth a look at, I would be on the £50pa anyway so does not seem so bad it was not so much the cost but more about the amount of suitable beats.
thanks again
bj

ejw

If you are only flyfishing WAA is not that good, as very little in Cheshire, but it does give a good variety or rivers over a wider area if you are prepared to travel. Your nearest (from Runcorn) gravel bed river is the Alyn (Rossett & Gresford Flyfishers) between Chester and Wrexham. Unfortunately no winter fishing for Grayling (even though there are plenty). Another option is the Birkin & Bollin club. A lot of water that is not overfished due to falling membership.
Rossett £50 p.a. Birkin & Bollin £40 ish - No joining fee for either.
PM me for more info if needed.

byronj

If you are only flyfishing WAA is not that good, as very little in Cheshire, but it does give a good variety or rivers over a wider area if you are prepared to travel. Your nearest (from Runcorn) gravel bed river is the Alyn (Rossett & Gresford Flyfishers) between Chester and Wrexham. Unfortunately no winter fishing for Grayling (even though there are plenty). Another option is the Birkin & Bollin club. A lot of water that is not overfished due to falling membership.
Rossett £50 p.a. Birkin & Bollin £40 ish - No joining fee for either.
PM me for more info if needed.
Many thanks for your reply, there is no real problem with the travel as I fish with my son in law and we sometimes stay away for the odd day if it is a fair distance away. I am now searching the web with the info you gave me.
thanks again.
bj

ejw

bj, no problem, if travelling is not an issue then have a look at Prince Albert, more Fly Waters, but at a cost, especially in the 1st year.

byronj

bj, no problem, if travelling is not an issue then have a look at Prince Albert, more Fly Waters, but at a cost, especially in the 1st year.
Cheers for that, it was mentioned by wobbly face early on so I had a look at that one looks good.
thanks again.
bj