was a concern with youngsters taking up fly fishing

ohanzee

This is a really unpleasant situation for anyone, for what its worth i fished solo for years, travelled far and wide and never met a soul, i'm not sure if i preferred it that way or just didn't know anything different, when i did finally meet others that did things the same way we were instantly friends, like minds and all that,
i think what i'm saying is you don't need a club to go fishing, by doing it your own way its surprising how many others you meet that do that too.

james1983

i am not interested in clubs though. especially the local one , if thats how they are going to be towards people then they can do one.

And i dont mind fishing on my own , hell if it was easier to get to a river i would happily go . but even getting to the Devon can be a problem via bus. as i would need to constantly check my watch and distance to get back in time , or pay £20+ for a taxi back in the evening ..
and yes it is £20+ as ive checked with several taxi firms locally.
and i looked at a bike but have no where to keep one and have zero storage space in the house or garden.

i dont mind being out in a boat on my own , i do admit to being a little hesitant with the outboard especially as its been a year and 4 months that i last used one lol..
i would just like to have a buddy to go out now and then with , have a bit of a laugh if we both blank , or swap / change ideas tactics .
As fly fishing is my only form of escape from other things going on.

harveyangling

Ignore then and keep practicing, practicing, practicing and perfecting.

Then when you are ready, empty the lake in front of them.

Nothing better than the look on a grumpy old gits face when you catch fish after fish.

Then when they as for advice tell them to pi*s off

In the meantime, I am sure there are members on here that would be more than happy to have a new fishing buddy.

brannan

I'm 24 and fish rivers predominately, never really bump into anyone when I'm trout fishing. Salmon fishing though, is a different thing all together. Met so many guys who will completely blank me. The odd comment about my age and things as well.

This is one of the reasons I stopped fishing still waters. People think because you are younger you shouldn't be given the same respect or curtesy as the older guys.

Christ I'm probably older than most of them in the head, I don't drink, I've got a Mrs a wee one and spend most Friday/Saturday nights in front of the vice. Don't take any notice of them James!

mickyferns

I think James is just unlucky that is the only fishery he can get to because they do sound like a group of dinosaurs but of course there will be individuals at every place you go but that's life I hope he doesn't let it put him off. The other side of it of course is you can meet some brilliant people regardless of age, just yesterday at Carsington I had some cracking advice and one old boy even gave me a couple of fly patterns take out with me! On my way back to the jetty at 9pm I saw the bailiffs we're having an after work BBQ and beers but one fella still came down to help me get my stuff off the boat, got to say I've had nothing but help down there. (I'm only 32 and new to the sport)

yogi

Fifers they are a special breed :eek:mg
Shame on all of them twisted auld *****
Tell me your not using powerbait or something daft like taking your radio with you .
:whistle:

montanajoe

I think James is just unlucky that is the only fishery he can get to because they do sound like a group of dinosaurs but of course there will be individuals at every place you go but that's life I hope he doesn't let it put him off. The other side of it of course is you can meet some brilliant people regardless of age, just yesterday at Carsington I had some cracking advice and one old boy even gave me a couple of fly patterns take out with me! On my way back to the jetty at 9pm I saw the bailiffs we're having an after work BBQ and beers but one fella still came down to help me get my stuff off the boat, got to say I've had nothing but help down there. (I'm only 32 and new to the sport)

I think Scotland has a hard core of old school nutters who think they know it all and wont share. I've moved down to Derbyshire and can't say enough about Carsington and the people who fish it. At the end of the day everyone wants to catch a fish or two and the more experienced anglers should be encouraging anyone else to enjoy the day. The waters are more than big enough for everyone and if there is no-one coming through they won't be there any more if no-one fishes.
I don't think I can print what I think of these people and they're not worth talking to or about.

Iain.

james1983

lol nope Yogi , no powerbait and no music .
dont even have a ring tone blasting out across the water.

i mute the phone , stick in a pocket that wont get wet . but within easy reach if i get into any bother and need to call for help.

and we aint fifers here ....... its Kinross - Shire . were no in Fife lol.

James There is more fisheries in Kinross shire than Leven.

Don't take it that all fisheries have this sort of attitude you experienced.

My regulars are great and will always help anyone and even give their last fly to help someone out and some are 83 yrs old.

They regular help young anglers out as it is important for the sport.

As for transport have you ever considered a scooter.Cheap, easy to run and will allow you not to be restricted to just one fishery.

The only way to meet up with others is to go where you feel comfortable and get to know the decent ones.

Not all fisheries are the same you just need to find the good ones and leave the others to tumble along in their own grumpy way.

james1983

Again if i cant store a push bike Kev , how am i going to store a scooter ? .
cant afford a scooter , lessons , tax , MOT , fuel etc etc.
Scooter outside in car park = stolen in short space of time .
no lock - ups available.

Leven is the main fishery right on my door step ( 5 min walk ) . all the others are as hard as many will believe almost near impossible to get to without paying for a taxi or 2 .
Kinross trout fishery , no offence but walking around and around becomes boring after so long . and been to the fishery at Balado and me personally , did not like it what so ever..

your fishery at Millbuies is my kind if fishing .

rrw35

I know who those guys were...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MF6bLIWJiY]Old Gits in hospital - Harry Enfield and Chums - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

garyj

Let's not tar "all" Fifers with the same Brush, some of us are quite helpful towards other anglers, isn't that right James?

Gary

james1983

Aye Gary , been out a couple of times on the Loch with you , then up at Glenfrag braw wee water that , one of my best days never caught so many broons in 1 day lol.
didn't realise i was burnt like a cook lobster though lol.

BobP

In your shoes I would MAKE them speak to me. Just walk up with a pleasant expression and wish them a "good morning, nice day" sort of greeting, followed by "have you caught anything today" or something along those lines. If you're standing right alongside them - careful not to be on their casting side - they cannot refuse to acknowledge your presence. Even if they do refuse to speak, just go on your way having wished them "tight lines" or whatever.

Round the corner, of course, you can mutter "miserable old ****" or words to that effect, but to their faces you are the epitome of good manners. You'll win in the end. Ask for help and advice - "what fly is good at this time of year?" etc. When they show it to you it's "did you tie it yourself?" Works a treat.

james1983

lol sorry Bob .

attempt to talk to any locals / regulars back at the pier and i get nothing but dirty looks like they just stepped on me and trying to find a stick to get rid of me.
Only time i get spoken to is if its lads visiting the Loch then they talk to me.

i was setting up my gear once , over heard 2 guys ask a member of staff for information. "" do you know where the spots are producing fish ""

member of staff "" looks like a deer caught in headlights "" and his answer was i dunno in, ,,,, in the water some where ""..

so i stepped back out of boat and got my map out and pointed them in the right direction . and i went off to try an other drift.
when i got back in at 6pm the 2 guys were in and thanked me , they had a few fish each.
bloody annoying when i blanked though lol.

in the 2 years or so the old regulars have not spoken to me . and sure as hell will not ever disclose what flies or line to use.
they would have to kill you if you learnt of such information .

garyj

James, can I suggest you chose your words very carefully here; you are not going to make many friends throwing accusations around on a public forum.
There are many good guys who fish the loch and are only too willing to pass information on to anyone who asks (not everyone granted), get yourself known, join the conversations and you will prevail.
I only started fishing again about 2-3 years ago after many years of absence and have since made friends with a lot of people on many different waters; we always have a natter before and after to discuss tactics and results.

Persevere and you will get there!

Gary

mintylad

Hi I am fairly new to fishing at the rather mature age of 34 but have been involved in game shooting for quite some time and have come to the conclusion that within country sports there two distinct groups of people. I class them as "sportsmen" or "gentlemen". The sportsman is the type of person who overestimates his abilities and generally gets away with his inadequate performances by coming up with elaborate excuses for his short comings. Other wise known as B******T. Then you have the "gentleman" who really isn't that bothered about his performance providing that all in his company are safe and enjoying the day for what it is. This "sportsmen" seem to forget that our hobbies are exactly that, they are the times you put aside for you and your enjoyment, you don't do it for their benefit. My technique with these ignorant creations is to ignore their comments as usually they have an uncanny knack of making themselves look like a right T*T at some point. When this happens it is quite nice to just stand back and watch it dawn on their ignorant faces how un gentlemanly they have been. Don't let them grind you down. If you are going to sell the waders mind how cheap are you going to let them go for.

wrongfoot

In your shoes I would MAKE them speak to me. Just walk up with a pleasant expression and wish them a "good morning, nice day" sort of greeting, followed by [...] to their faces you are the epitome of good manners. You'll win in the end. [...] Works a treat.

It does work and may be the smart thing to do while you want to fish the water/join the club that these old dinosaurs "control". If they want to drive you away and you go they've achieved their aim and you've lost the fishing so I've done similar and won over people in the end. They never won me over though, ever, regardless of the change in our relationship I'd seen their true colours and never forgot it. If I have any other option I take it because I don't like to encourage mean buggers whether young or old.

It's not just fishing though, all walks of life have bad 'uns from time to time.

If you can find enough normal friendly anglers then maybe eventually you can marginalize this clique and change the culture at Leven? I hope so because I'd hate to visit and meet the welcome you seem to have received.