Washing Breathable Waders

jaybeegee

This morning I bit the bullet and put my waders in the washing machine, it really had to be done, they were grass stained and muddy beyond the wipe with a damp cloth stage. First I ran the empty washer on a hot cycle to get any bio detergent out of the system and then put the waders in on a quick wash with non bio powder at 30C and a short spin dry. They’re out on the line as I speak and though I do this every year I can’t help being twitchy about the whole process. When they’re dry I’ll treat them with Diver Dave’s Repel and hope for the best. 🤞 🙄
B

Wee Jimmy

This morning I bit the bullet and put my waders in the washing machine, it really had to be done, they were grass stained and muddy beyond the wipe with a damp cloth stage. First I ran the empty washer on a hot cycle to get any bio detergent out of the system and then put the waders in on a quick wash with non bio powder at 30C and a short spin dry. They’re out on the line as I speak and though I do this every year I can’t help being twitchy about the whole process. When they’re dry I’ll treat them with Diver Dave’s Repel and hope for the best. 🤞 🙄
B
Good luck JBG....ive had a few disasters trying to wash breathable jackets over the years. My last attempt worked a treat but its been a long learning curve.

PaulD

This morning I bit the bullet and put my waders in the washing machine, it really had to be done,

Yes, you really should run your washing machine, empty, on a hot wash first, to try and clear elements of normal clothes washing products.

Afterwards, wash your waders twice, once in Nikwax Tech Wash, followed by washing in Nikwax TX- Direct . . .

Last edited:

jaybeegee

Good luck JBG....ive had a few disasters trying to wash breathable jackets over the years. My last attempt worked a treat but its been a long learning curve.
Thanks Jimmy, I’ve learned to disregard the wader manufacturer’s washing instructions and instead follow those on the label of an old heavy weight Goretex jacket, which apart from the neck seam is still watertight twenty odd years on…though only used for gardening now.
B

Riffler

I only use my breathables in the salt and simply rinse them off with cold water after a session.
My experience with washing rubber backed floor mats and dog hammocks for car seat is that the machine drum abrades points and creases in the material and wears/weakens them at this points.
If I had to wash them, I'd use the bath method fruinfisher suggests.

Jason 70

B
I have visions of you pacing up and down like an expectant parent Brian.;) Gave mine a good wipe down today, climbing out of the river after a four-session only to slip on a broken bottle bankside claret all down me., what with that and a HUGE dead rat that bumped into me floating downstream it made my day, the claws on the fecker!:sick: The joys of urban angling.

diawl bach

Can't you simply run a good bath, don your waders and read the news before giving them a light scrub with some soap? Saves getting wet in the bath too, one of my pet hates.

Jason 70

If you put a damp cloth anywhere near breathable waders - They'll probably leak!

Douglas
30 trips as of today with my Koskis and still bone dry as opposed to four trips out with my Vass that leaked. You roll the dice, Douglas. These have been hanging up since 1400, after a four-hour session.

PXL_20211023_173258804.jpg
PXL_20211023_173315469.jpg
Just a small amount of water runoff. External, I know waders are a ball breaker, but hey I'm happy enough.

Last edited:

jaybeegee

You got lucky!
Next time do not use a powder of any description, is a light abrasive!
Use one of the many technical fabric washing liquids, like nik wax.
But, as has been said, the mechanical workings of wash machine drum can damage seams!
It’s the first time these particular waders have been washed, but I’ve done more or less the same with others at least once a season in the past. Likewise with various good quality outer shell jackets over a period of more than twenty five years and so far so good….I’ll continue to be lucky I guess. 😁

Latest posts