Watch Out! there's a thief about!

mebu

Left my bag on a gravel bank for a half hour this morning as I worked upstream.

When I returned I found some dirty rat had opened the bag and stolen my lunch, left the wrapping of my sausage roll lying around. At least he left the banana.

Thought at first maybe a rat, then found a fresh pawprint in the mud nearby. (Sherlock Holmes usually finds the footprints in the flower bed beneath the window). Any idea whose print it is? fox, mink? badger?

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 117

icejohn

Looks like a dog print if it ain't I would be worried.....and glad it only ate the sandwich!

JoeOh

On the Walthamstow reservoirs. foxes are notorious for raiding bags, even with the angler in close proximity. Trout, food and carp boilies all on the menu.

Mr Notherone

Dog and fox prints are similar, but that looks too broad for a fox. Difficult to tell in wet mud. My guess would be Canadian Timber Wolf - look out! :)

mebu

Have tried to ID the print, best bet is a mink.

Peter

4wings

I would say it is a dog print the only other footprint of the same shape is a Wolf (already mentioned)
Book *Animal Tracks and Signs* byPreben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom.

Vintage Badger

Some idea of scale is needed when trying to confidently identify photos of paw prints, a 10p coin or similar placed by the print can make all the difference.