Fly Fishing Forum banner

water of leith

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Scotty90 
#1 ·
Another wee late morning/afternoon session on the water of leith. Fished from (underneath) the city bypass up to the top of juniper green. I fished the duo as usual with a cream klink and a peacock thorax ptn with a 2.8mm tungsten bead. Most of the fish took the nymphs but I had a few on the dry as well. The river is flowing a bit better after some rain so I fished more of the water instead of searching for drifts. Finished up with 16 fish, at this rate I'll be selling off my reservoir gear to fund purchases of three weights and the like.
Water Vertebrate Organism Salmon-like fish Fish
Water Fish Salmon-like fish Ray-finned fish Marine biology
Water Salmon-like fish Fish Fishing Recreational fishing
Water Salmon-like fish Fish Brown trout Fisherman
Water Vertebrate Body of water Salmon-like fish Fish

See less See more
#3 ·
These are lovely fish. Small and beautiful.

As far as a river rod is concerned, I wouldn't drop down too far in weight. I can only talk for my neck of the woods were a downstream wind (west to east) would make fishing with a 3# pretty much impossible. But there again, I'm not much of a caster!

Douglas

#4 ·
I’m not new to fishing rivers guys, I just stopped fishing rivers for trout for a couple of years, but fish for salmon on the tweed for 2 months every year. There will be posts on here about fishing the water of leith from a few years back. I use a sage launch 9 foot 4 weight with a 3 weight double taper line on the river just now and have a wee 7 ft 2 weight I use sometimes. I’ve had hundreds of rods in lighter line sizes over the years that was just a wee jest at the end of the post.

The wee fish are beautiful Douglas eh, I love catching them and they do give a good account of themselves on the soft 4 weight.

#8 ·
Apologies for jumping in here. Never fished WOL and and coming from the West Lothian side do you know of any good parts of the river to fish and is it possible to park a car. Any info would be greatly appreciated having really only fished the Almond as I’m just getting back into fly fishing.

many thanks
Stevie

#9 ·
From your side the river has loads of decent parts from Currie up to balerno. Could park the car anywhere along Lanark road and cut down one of the many wee paths into the water of leith walkway. I fish mostly from juniper green up to Currie, best advice is to get in the river and just wade upstream fishing all the pockets of water, behind boulders, pools, riffles and glides. It’s a stream you have to get in and fish a few times to figure it out to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.