Water Temperature

tangled

My local lake is now reading 23C and the fish are smooching around on the bottom, not interested in much. Pretty hopeless fishing though you can get a random suicide occasionally. But fighting a fish in those temperatures seems cruel.

I've just had an email from another club that runs the fishing on a small stream/river.

"...there is absolutely no flow and the fish are showing signs of severe stress, swimming on their sides and looking decidedly 'sick'. The lack of rain over recent weeks is really starting to show. We have therefore decided that we should keep off river and close the fishery until some rain improves the flows and increases the oxygen levels."

Also this, from the EA

"Close links have been found between water temperature and survival in C&R salmonid species, with elevated temperatures causing higher rates of delayed mortality. To minimise the impact of high water temperatures on salmonid species, fishing regulations can be implemented on river systems when water temperatures surpass a set threshold. Given that the diel variation in water temperature can be high, it is recommended that C&R fishing is not practised when the water temperatures exceeds 18C in the mid-morning."

(diel variation = temperature variation over 24 hours)

Looks like more golf for me.

tangled

23 degrees is lethal level for rainbows.
Yeh, bath water.

The reason I know is because I took a cheap fish finder into a punt to work out depth around the lake and it has a temp read out. But 23 was surface temperature and the fish were all just off the bottom which was 5m down so hopefully it's cooler down there.

BobP

Is there any way you could get a reading at bed level? It might help with some comparison of a water double that depth.