waterproof jacket recommendations

kreid

My snowbee wading jacket has seen better days and I will be heading to Sutherland later in the summer ....where it can really rain and we will be in an open boat. My fishing buddy has a Simms G4 Jacket which he says keeps him dry even in a Suthrland "all day pish". My budget wont stretch that far and at least one good boat angler said, forget fishing brands and get a mountaineering type jacket as they are better. Any recommendations / thoughts? The snowbee was good but over a whole day , didn't manage to keep completely dry.

GEK79

My snowbee wading jacket has seen better days and I will be heading to Sutherland later in the summer ....where it can really rain and we will be in an open boat. My fishing buddy has a Simms G4 Jacket which he says keeps him dry even in a Suthrland "all day pish". My budget wont stretch that far and at least one good boat angler said, forget fishing brands and get a mountaineering type jacket as they are better. Any recommendations / thoughts? The snowbee was good but over a whole day , didn't manage to keep completely dry.
This will be vastly open to opinion.. But I'd say a goretex jacket will generally keep you dry.. Simms do them I have one but my father gave it to me so no cost.. Maybe check ebay.. Places like millets perhaps.. Just my thoughts good luck..

GEK79

This will be vastly open to opinion.. But I'd say a goretex jacket will generally keep you dry.. Simms do them I have one but my father gave it to me so no cost.. Maybe check ebay.. Places like millets perhaps.. Just my thoughts good luck..Sportfish have an offer on a greys all weather jacket.. May be worth a look..

tangled

If you want to stay dry in a boat, I'd avoid any sports gear and go for outdoor work clothes. You don't need expensive breathables, you're not climbing mountains.

But if you need another breathable wading jacket - they're shorter than normal jackets so you don't get your pockets wet - the Airflo Airtex range is very good for the price. I blagged one of the old range for £50 and used it in 6 days of torrential rain and stayed perfectly dry.

GEK79

If you want to stay dry in a boat, I'd avoid any sports gear and go for outdoor work clothes. You don't need expensive breathables, you're not climbing mountains.

But if you need another breathable wading jacket - they're shorter than normal jackets so you don't get your pockets wet - the Airflo Airtex range is very good for the price. I blagged one of the old range for £50 and used it in 6 days of torrential rain and stayed perfectly dry.
I seen the airflo stuff but was always unsure..

4wings

A while back I bought a goretex coat on e-bay, a german flektarn camo, new unissued very good value.
Bought matching trousers as well.

squimp

I have a Vision wading jacket that doesn’t leak. Middle of their range cost about £150.

i also have a Haglofs mountaineering jacket that I picked up for £130 in a sale. It is absolutely bullet proof - a wonderful jacket.

glueman

Go for North Face not as good as they were before TV reporters had them but still very good. Do not touch Karrimoor they were at one time the best but after going bust the name Mike Ashly

Spider

I'm hoping to get a, Taimen in the next couple of days. I have their lightweight summer jacket and it's very good but the heavier jacket is part of a deal so hoping for best. The jacket hat and a soft shell cost €20 on top of the waders so hope the gear is OK! I'll report back after a rainy session.

tangled

I seen the airflo stuff but was always unsure..
Yeh me too but was pleasantly surprised. I'd previously borrowed a SIMMS something or other when my luggage decided to stay in Moscow - it was ok, kept me dry too. You don't get the bragging rights though. Airflo doesn't quite have the same curb appeal.

One thing I noticed though - in both - was water dripping back up your arm as you raise it regularly to cast. Not a problem in the odd shower but if it's pouring all day for days - which it did - you get to notice :). Gauntlets prevent that apparently but I've never tried them.

Mies

One thing I noticed though - in both - was water dripping back up your arm as you raise it regularly to cast. Not a problem in the odd shower but if it's pouring all day for days - which it did - you get to notice :). Gauntlets prevent that apparently but I've never tried them.
What Simms jacket was it? My Guide model is over 10 years old and has velcro secured neoprene cuffs for that issue. The only problem I have is that the base of the hood at the back is now begining to get a bit damp but only in prolonged torrential downpours. Easly solvable problem though and really can't moan after that length of service.

tangled

What Simms jacket was it?
Couldn't tell you, I can tell you that it was orange!

My Guide model is over 10 years old and has velcro secured neoprene cuffs for that issue.
Don't remember neoprene but they both had velcro fasteners. I particularly remember that because if your casting gets sloppy, the line finds its way into the fastener (This is double-handed spey casting). They need to test these things with amateurs...

The only problem I have is that the base of the hood at the back is now begining to get a bit damp but only in prolonged torrential downpours. Easly solvable problem though and really can't moan after that length of service.
The biggest problem I've had with jackets is getting one with a hood that works properly when it's up - either slipping off or down over my eyes. The Airflo is fine for me and I guess the SIMMS was too 'cos I can't remember any hassle with it.

Banksie

I reckon breathable is within ‘budget’. You can still get a ‘sweat on’ in the cold and the wet. Lugging stuff from the car to the boat, maybe. Or, leaving a rod by the car, then having to leg it all the way back before it got nicked. Stuff like that.

tangled

I reckon breathable is within ‘budget’. You can still get a ‘sweat on’ in the cold and the wet. Lugging stuff from the car to the boat, maybe. Or, leaving a rod by the car, then having to leg it all the way back before it got nicked. Stuff like that.
If you're going to be using it as a wading jacket as well, then best to buy a breathable. Trousers are a no-no though. I'd only wear 'proper' plastic stuff if I'm sat on a wooden bench in a puddle all day; that's a good way to get a wet ar$e and ruined pants.

eddleston123

I had a Vision Vector wading jacket which leaked like a sieve at the bottom of the hood around the neck area after one years usage. Wasn't a dear jacket but still around £150 from what I can remember

Mies

Don't remember neoprene but they both had velcro fasteners. I particularly remember that because if your casting gets sloppy, the line finds its way into the fastener (This is double-handed spey casting). They need to test these things with amateurs.

Thats odd :unsure: as the cuff sits under the sleeve......

Mies

I had a Vision Vector wading jacket which leaked like a sieve at the bottom of the hood around the neck area after one years usage. Wasn't a dear jacket but still around £150 from what I can remember
As I said above I have a similar issue. Strange though.... it's hardly an area that gets much wear and tear.