waterproof jacket recommendations

tangled

I have both lightweight and heavyweight Taimen jackets and both are very good at keeping you dry inside and out, my only gripe Is there's no hanging loops on either!
That would be a non-starter for me, a rear hanging loop for a net is an absolute essential.

GEK79

I have both lightweight and heavyweight Taimen jackets and both are very good at keeping you dry inside and out, my only gripe Is there's no hanging loops on either!
The jacket j have has a weird hanging loop so after use I put on a coat hanger and if I'm soaking I will put it on the washing line to dry off once the rain has stopped..

Spider

JayP, what taimen jacket do you have. I think mine is called a Chikoy but it's a lightweight one?

the optimist

I have tried many brands of wading jacket - Simms G3 has been brilliant in huge downpours whereas others have resulted in wet necks, sleeves etc thar then slacks everywhere - brilliant kit. I use Airflo for bank and boat but now 20 years old . Interested to hear Cammy using Vass tex Trousers - the 350 is the winter thick stuff - is it a bit restrictive - I was Tempted by the vas’s tex 175 but not sure

JayP

JayP, what taimen jacket do you have. I think mine is called a Chikoy but it's a lightweight one?
The heavy-duty one is called an Ider and the lightweight packable summer shower one is called a Shilka, sizing wise I find them spot on (y)

JayP

The jacket j have has a weird hanging loop so after use I put on a coat hanger and if I'm soaking I will put it on the washing line to dry off once the rain has stopped..
Is the loop on the back between the shoulder blades?

GEK79

If Gek's jacket is anything like my older Guide it will have a net ring at the back. Similar to this....

My simms has the net attachment and then inside has the loop for hanging.. I'd take a picture but I'm flecked after a day at the Lough..

GEK79

If Gek's jacket is anything like my older Guide it will have a net ring at the back. Similar to this....

My heart bleeds for you :LOL:

Any joy?
Small fish on a random sedge type fly dark warm day and my Goddard caddi took a battering..

Attachments

bobmiddlepoint

My snowbee wading jacket has seen better days and I will be heading to Sutherland later in the summer ....where it can really rain and we will be in an open boat. My fishing buddy has a Simms G4 Jacket which he says keeps him dry even in a Suthrland "all day pish". My budget wont stretch that far and at least one good boat angler said, forget fishing brands and get a mountaineering type jacket as they are better. Any recommendations / thoughts? The snowbee was good but over a whole day , didn't manage to keep completely dry.
Sutherland rain is as nothing compared to Uist driving rain and wind. I spent many many hours in boats in all day pish on Uist when I ghillied there and never got wet once. The answer (not cheap) is a Paramo coat, a mountaineering (well hill walking) type jacket. That coupled with chest waders kept me dry in the boat for eight years in the worst that the islands could throw at me.
You don't need a wading jacket or net loop if you are fishing in a boat!
Paramo stuff has the advantage that if you (or more likely as a ghillie someone else) sticks hook through it the waterproofing isn't affected.

Any coat that can't keep you completely dry for a day isn't waterproof!

Andy

speytime

I've not read all the replies but I agree with this 100%.
All goretex garments have to be authorised by WL Gore, if it's goretex it should be quality, i,ve paid silly money for simms jackets and there just goretex jackets no better than my North face/berghaus goretex at a fraction of the cost.

There's a vision wading jacket that's made from the same material as the waders so no coating that inevitably wears of then the garment leaks unrepairably.

Have a look on ebay for goretex if money is a issue.
This will be vastly open to opinion.. But I'd say a goretex jacket will generally keep you dry.. Simms do them I have one but my father gave it to me so no cost.. Maybe check ebay.. Places like millets perhaps.. Just my thoughts good luck..

Mies

Small fish on a random sedge type fly dark warm day and my Goddard caddi took a battering..
You did better than me. Fished Lough Carra this week in perfect conditions and not even a splash to wets or dries. No fly life either which is a bit strange for the time of year.

Oh well :confused:

GEK79

I've not read all the replies but I agree with this 100%.
All goretex garments have to be authorised by WL Gore, if it's goretex it should be quality, i,ve paid silly money for simms jackets and there just goretex jackets no better than my North face/berghaus goretex at a fraction of the cost.

There's a vision wading jacket that's made from the same material as the waders so no coating that inevitably wears of then the garment leaks unrepairably.

Have a look on ebay for goretex if money is a issue.
Like I said just a thought or opinion I'm happy with my simms and the OP had mentioned price at the start.

GEK79

Sutherland rain is as nothing compared to Uist driving rain and wind. I spent many many hours in boats in all day pish on Uist when I ghillied there and never got wet once. The answer (not cheap) is a Paramo coat, a mountaineering (well hill walking) type jacket. That coupled with chest waders kept me dry in the boat for eight years in the worst that the islands could throw at me.
You don't need a wading jacket or net loop if you are fishing in a boat!
Paramo stuff has the advantage that if you (or more likely as a ghillie someone else) sticks hook through it the waterproofing isn't affected.

Any coat that can't keep you completely dry for a day isn't waterproof!

Andy
I don't fish in a boat the net loop is essential for me.. As its just a question about opinions I voiced mine.. And at the start price was mentioned..

sean freeman

You did better than me. Fished Lough Carra this week in perfect conditions and not even a splash to wets or dries. No fly life either which is a bit strange for the time of year.

Oh well :confused:
Carra has gone right down hill over the last ten years in my experience. Used to be my favourite western lough. We carry on up to Arrow now.