waterproof jacket recommendations

GEK79

Carra has gone right down hill over the last ten years in my experience. Used to be my favourite western lough. We carry on up to Arrow now.
My brother in law lives on Arrow it's a fantastic piece of water I'm yet to visit.. Stay safe...

sean freeman

The Simms G4 tactical has me interested at the minute, Patagonia river salt or even an ordinary high end waterproof jacket too. Really unsure on what to get so this thread is pretty useful at the moment.

GEK79

The Simms G4 tactical has me interested at the minute, Patagonia river salt or even an ordinary high end waterproof jacket too. Really unsure on what to get so this thread is pretty useful at the moment.
I have a G4 and it's excellent like I said earlier end of the season I treat with nikwax and she's a dream.. I'm going to invest in a longer jacket as I prefer a longer jacket the simms challenger has my attention... Good luck

Jason 70

I've had an Orvis Tailwater for five years now, I'm 5"10 and weight in about 12 stone, but went for an XXL so you can layer up underneath. I've used in the winter along the river and also in the pissing rain while fishing for Pike on the Anglian Ressies. Not a drop got through.

I also had it on the last weekend when I had to fish a phone out of the river. The water ran up under the cuffs understandably. But it dried off very well after being submerged in water. Two large side pockets an internal pocket and two smaller side pockets. I like it to be honest.

Ps Under the label it's made in China:eek:

GEK79

I've had an Orvis Tailwater for five years now, I'm 5"10 and weight in about 12 stone, but went for an XXL so you can layer up underneath. I've used in the winter along the river and also in the pissing rain while fishing for Pike on the Anglian Ressies. Not a drop got through.

I also had it on the last weekend when I had to fish a phone out of the river. The water ran up under the cuffs understandably. But it dried off very well after being submerged in water. Two large side pockets an internal pocket and two smaller side pockets. I like it to be honest.

Ps Under the label it's made in China:eek:
I'd say that ALOT of the dry gear is made in China.. But did the job all that matters..

Mies

Carra has gone right down hill over the last ten years in my experience. Used to be my favourite western lough.
Afraid so. It was truly a stunning lake. As per usual with most lake and river degradation in this country, the finger almost 90% of the time points toward unregulated dairy farming. What is infuriating is that these gobshites were given grants under REPS (Rural Environment Protection Scheme) to clean up their act but the government monitoring programme was laughable.

Sorry for going off topic but it's one issue that infuriates me 😡

GEK79

Afraid so. It was truly a stunning lake. As per usual with most lake and river degradation in this country, the finger almost 90% of the time points toward unregulated dairy farming. What is infuriating is that these gobshites were given grants under REPS (Rural Environment Protection Scheme) to clean up their act but the government monitoring programme was laughable.

Sorry for going off topic but it's one issue that infuriates me 😡
I remember something similar in the UK grants given to put sileage or slurry onto fields then realised it was destroying watereays so more grants wrte given to remove... Its sad... Sadly mate that's life wild brownies aren't important in the eyes of others.. I was sat in my lough maybe 2/3 seasons ago sat for a brew.. I heard voices unusual.. Two guys approached me who worked for the Irish fisheries now to paint a picture I was holding a mug of tea my rod sat next to me and a fly box open.. I was asked what I was doing... The guys said they had been watching me and asked me what I was fishing for in the Lough.. I explained for Brown Trout and they said they had no idea there was anything in the Lough... Sad... Sorry completely off topic..

hutch6

When the weather really gets going I turn to my reliable steadfast Rab waterproof over jacket. Had a few over the years as they start of as best, then walking, then, dog walking and then fishing as they age but they never lose their performance. Fold up easily enough to go in your vest just in case the weather is forecast to be a bit touchy feely.

mrnotherone

There are plenty of great outdoor brands that will keep you warm and dry, but when wading I want the shortest jacket possible and only fishing brands cater for that. I bought a top of the range Taimen jacket that's now in its fourth season and is still 100% water proof. It also has great pockets and a D loop.

Oldbones

Went to a charity shop in an affluent town in the highlands of Scotland, bought a Northface waterproof for £5
Its good, cant compare it to others because I have had no others and unless its heavy rain for more than three hours it keeps me dry, and if I put up the hood even longer.

Last edited: