waterproof jacket recommendations

Paul_B

I have a Samuel Windsor waterproof coat for summer use, the nearest example is the Explorer Jacket, its water and wind proof and has never leaked and wasn't too expensive.
For winter use I have coat from the Sydney oilskin company, plus a Driza-Bone coat, they weren't so cheap but they are also water and windproof.

DutyDruid

I have a G4 they seem to have a velcro rubber strap inside the sleeve which eliminates alot of that I think..
Could always try a canoeing dry cag, would go over the waders and under gear vest. Failing that a gortex from a reputable army stores. I managed to get a gortex from and army surplus near me in mint condition for 25 quid. Can always trim down the length.

Last edited:

mackiia1

You did better than me. Fished Lough Carra this week in perfect conditions and not even a splash to wets or dries. No fly life either which is a bit strange for the time of year.

Oh well :confused:
Did you see the recent report on the huge reduction in Trout numbers on Carra Mike?
By all accounts it's in big trouble.
I haven't fished it in years but had some truly great days there - it's a beautiful Lough.

sean freeman

Did you see the recent report on the huge reduction in Trout numbers on Carra Mike?
I haven't fished it in years but had some truly great days there - it's a beautiful Lough.
I remember parking the boat in the reeds and waiting for them to start rising to sedges in the evening. Spectacular fishery mismanaged and living on past glory. It’s a crime allowing it to happen to one of the western loughs, easily one of the best wild brown trout fisheries in the world.

Mies

No, I didn't see that Ian. Where was it published? Not a bit surprised though. When I fished it the other week, the most distubing aspect was the total lack of any type of fly life.
The catch rate has decreased steadily over the last few years. I remember prolific Mayfly hatches when you could expect to boat half a dozen fish in a single drift. Sadly no longer. My last few visits to the lake have resulted in blanks.
There is a wee glimmer of hope. After my last visit I dropped in to see a friend of mine who supplied the boat that day. He's treasurer of the Lough Carra Catchment Association and there appears to be at last some serious effort made to restore the lake to at leat some vestige of former glory.
Maybe it's too little too late. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Mies

I remember parking the boat in the reeds and waiting for them to start rising to sedges in the evening. Spectacular fishery mismanaged and living on past glory. It’s a crime allowing it to happen to one of the western loughs, easily one of the best wild brown trout fisheries in the world.
A crime indeed, Sean. Like yourself, I remember the Morrough and Green Peter evening fishing by the reeds. The Moorhall area used to be phenomenal when you got a good hatch.

As a country, we should be utterly ashamed of the way we've treated our beautiful lakes and waterways. Hopefully future generations will be more enlightened and value these great natural resources.

Again, apologies for going totally off topic from the original thread.

Mies

From October 1999, . . .

Christ! The mind boggles!

The so called EPA and other vested interest gobshites have evidently short memories. Lough Sheelin was nearly destroyed by intensive pig farming.

I give up on this country. I really do :mad:

kreid

In the end I got an Airflo Defender for £52 delivered then I got a tenner off for using a certain web link. I have worn it but it didn't rain lol!

McBad

In the end I got an Airflo Defender for £52 delivered then I got a tenner off for using a certain web link. I have worn it but it didn't rain lol!
Once you've worn it in the rain a few times please would you put a review in the tackle reviews forum... Also considering this jacket. :)

Thanks.

GEK79

Is this the Simms you have currently got up for sale at £150?
Yeah it's not leaking it's sweating ill probably take it down and keep.. As I wear a fleece and then a thermal top underneath it.. And 7 hours of torrential donegal rain.. So leaking prob not right description..and have explained in full now that the jacket may have leaked after the torrential rain.. Apologies if you feel I miss informed..

Last edited: