Waterproofing sleeves

Spider

On most wading jackets that I see now, the sleeve cuffs are not waterproof, or even slightly. Any solutions for this out there?

champyron

You just need some stretchy sports wrist bands. Pull them over the wrist and the outside of the cuff. They stop water and tidy up the velcro and tab to prevent the line catching. They come in different sizes but the 10cm ones are best and are about £2 delivered off ebay. An alternative is just to use the 5cm ones underneath the cuff to stop water getting past. Or use one inside and one outside. Bit OTT though. Small enough to be kept in the pocket, and they work.

Spider

Cheers lads. Champyron are you talking standard tennis wristbands?

GEK79

You just need some stretchy sports wrist bands. Pull them over the wrist and the outside of the cuff. They stop water and tidy up the velcro and tab to prevent the line catching. They come in different sizes but the 10cm ones are best and are about £2 delivered off ebay. An alternative is just to use the 5cm ones underneath the cuff to stop water getting past. Or use one inside and one outside. Bit OTT though. Small enough to be kept in the pocket, and they work.
And they stop the water..

Scotty Mitchell

My Scierra jacket has neoprene cuff/half gloves sewn in. I was dubious at first, but now they are a mandatory requirement for any jacket I buy in the future.

It's the C&R Jacket. I'd highly recommend it. It's seen my dry through some serious downpours, I've not had a fishing brand jacket that's been as waterproof as this.

GEK79

My Scierra jacket has neoprene cuff/half gloves sewn in. I was dubious at first, but now they are a mandatory requirement for any jacket I buy in the future.
I've been looking at the scierra range I don't really like wading jackets or the length plus I rarely go over my knee in the water.. Personal choice.. I'll keep looking

champyron

Yes, tennis sweat bands. They are not totally waterproof of course but I use them all the time and have been in heavy rain, even thunderstorms and they have stopped water weeping under the cuffs. I have not had wet sleeve underclothes since. Leave them half over the wrist and half over the cuff to seal and secure the gap.

boisker

On most wading jackets that I see now, the sleeve cuffs are not waterproof, or even slightly. Any solutions for this out there?
Which makes? All the ones I have looked at have neoprene cuffs inside the jacket... even my old and cheap greys had them...

speytime

I agree with spider i've had a few quality wading jacket simms, guidline, sasta and all the cuffs have been pretty poor compared to my kloba, the cuffs are 1.75/2" wide 2/3mm thick neoprene, when you tighten them you get a nice even pressure and they stop water, it's like others are poor Chinese copies 😂

boisker

Either you’ve got ladies wrists or mine are too thick....😂
I agree with spider i've had a few quality wading jacket simms, guidline, sasta and all the cuffs have been pretty poor compared to my kloba, the cuffs are 1.75/2" wide 2/3mm thick neoprene, when you tighten them you get a nice even pressure and they stop water, it's like others are poor Chinese copies 😂

Mies

Strange. I've only ever worn Simms Guide wading jackets and the cuffs have been fine.

Following on from champryon's suggestion would be to look at neoprene wrist supports. Can be usually picked up quite cheaply at any pharmacy. Maybe tailor them to your requirements.
My original option might be a little bit extreme but at least it'll keep your arms warm 😄

speytime

Strange. I've only ever worn Simms Guide wading jackets and the cuffs have been fine.
What are you comparing them to? My simms G4 guide and pro shell boat jacket both have inferior cuffs to a budget kloba jacket I have.
_20200705_155743.JPG
That's a cuff 2" of 3mm neoprene, simms take note! 🤓

Al

GEK79

What are you comparing them to? My simms G4 guide and pro shell boat jacket both have inferior cuffs to a budget kloba jacket I have.
View attachment 28437

Al
I've been looking for the. Kloba jackets online no joy any clues.. Please..

Mies

View attachment 28437

Al
I don't doubt it for a minute. Just never had any problems with the Simms. If memory serves, the Guide was their top of the line until the G4 came along.
It's quite an old jacket now so maybe the quality in the newer models isn't there anymore. I got a good deal on the jacket when I bought but there is no way I'll fork out that kind of money for a replacement.