WBT Parliament petition to ban pet pesticides

original cormorant

Just become the 1000th signatory. I'm particularly concerned about this as my neighbours take their dogs swimming in the river stirring up silt and causing general disruption to the river bed. I hadn't realised until now that they may also be poisoning it as well. They claim to be pretty green I'll forward the link to them

mebu

Just checked my spaniel’s Advocate. The dreaded imidacloprid. Leaflet says do not allow to enter watercourses as this may be dangerous to fish. Ask vet for advice on disposal.
Just signed, now need to investigate effective alternative.

Banksie

If there was an alternative they’d have made it by now. Don’t any of you have dogs?

wobbly face

If there was an alternative they’d have made it by now. Don’t any of you have dogs?
No.
There probably is alternatives, maybe just more expensive?
We're now finding out that a lot of chemicals that we take for granted are actually quite harmful.
Oral contraceptive treatments, antibiotics. Household cleaning chemicals.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Indeed.
And many probably have never seen Lyme disease either.
Ludicrous assumption that dosing a dog with 2.5 ml (average dog size of 20kg) of any of the common spot ons is going to flood out any watercourse!
I for one, will continue to protect my dogs, and my self, from ticks and fleas.
Bert

boisker

It would be interesting to know how many of the 1043 people take such an active stance in every aspect of the lives... 100% organic foods, eco friendly cleaning products, reduced meat consumption, tracing in production of materials etc etc etc...

Cap'n Fishy

Indeed.
And many probably have never seen Lyme disease either.
Ludicrous assumption that dosing a dog with 2.5 ml (average dog size of 20kg) of any of the common spot ons is going to flood out any watercourse!
I for one, will continue to protect my dogs, and my self, from ticks and fleas.
Bert

Imidacloprid

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
OK.
So 22 million dogs and cats getting a dose of 2.5 millilitres of spot on (and that is a rather over estimate, based on the average weight of 20 kg per animal) equates to 55million millilitres, or 55000 litres, or 12099 gallons in old money.
That amount is polluting all our waterways?
dont think so.

Bert

Banksie

“... When you start large scale use of any sort of pesticide, there are often unanticipated consequences,” said Goulson...”
Not “unanticipated” at all when stopped. Fleas.

edit: rats are moving around more, and increasing, since Covid due to lockdowns. I can imagine it now. Brexit, Covid and more fleas from three of the most common animals we have in the UK.

Last edited: