Wear Your Life Jacket

mackiia1

Woke up to the sad news this morning that a local man I know had drowned on the River Blackwater while out fishing for the evening. He was fishing with a good friend of mine and when he failed to show up at the car at the end of the evening's fishing , my friend alerted the emergency services. Following an all night search, his body was found at 7.30 this morning.
Obviously we are all saddened by this tragic loss and my friend is devastated - as are the man's family.
They were lifelong friends and had fished this stretch of the river together hundreds of times.

Unfortunately he was not wearing a lifejacket .

Wear those jackets guys - I know they can be heavy and hot - but they may save your life. It can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye.

RIP Dermot.

hutch6

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

A reminder to all to not take their regular stretch for granted not just apply safety first on new terrain and to remain safe at all times.

paul100

Very sad weekend in terms of anglers losing their lives - I read yesterday that 2 drowned in Donegal family members my initial thoughts were did they have life jackets on. It may all appear to be a calm and relaxing sport but such instances reminds us all that it can also be very dangerous.

Paul

Wee Jimmy

Sorry to hear this Ian, we always think it will never happen to “us”. I’m terrible for leaving mine off .We need reminding how easily these things can happen.

mackiia1

Sorry to hear this Ian, we always think it will never happen to “us”. I’m terrible for leaving mine off .We need reminding how easily these things can happen.
True Jimmy - I always wear mine.
My wife and kids hate me going out fishing at night on my own - I wear my jacket for safety and to help reassure them I'll be ok.

Mies

So sorry to hear that, Ian. It must have come as quite a shock to you.

Not a good couple of days for water safety with the two deaths in Donegal as well, already mentioned.

I never go in a boat now unless I have my life jacket on. It's second nature to me. Like driving with a seat belt on. I had a close shave on Currane a good few years ago. Went over the side whilst wrestling with dodgy outboard.
I just about managed to get a grip on the boat but there was no way I could get back in. Luckily I was not far from the shore and they boat eventually drifted in. Even though it was June, the water was bloody freezing. If I had been further out in the lake, God knows what would have happened. It certainly taught me a life-saving lesson.

Stay safe

benisa

Sorry about the lose

its just that people do not think it will happen to them
The river is always changing and the stones under it

Can never understand with the fishing mags T+ S plus others mags where you see guys in a boat with NO ,life jacket.

people then think well so and so was not wearing his so its calm on the lake/river why do I need mine , calm days sometimes can be the worse

anzac

Can never understand with the fishing mags T+ S plus others mags where you see guys in a boat with NO ,life jacket.
It's not just boats, blokes fishing from shore or on rocks get drowned every year as well. One misstep or slip and you are in.

Mies

Always a good idea to check your lifejacket at the start of the season. I've had to replace the co2 cylider on a couple of occasions.

Some good advice here...

sailingval

Sorry about the lose

its just that people do not think it will happen to them
The river is always changing and the stones under it

people then think well so and so was not wearing his so its calm on the lake/river why do I need mine , calm days sometimes can be the worse
I have written to several of the magazines in the past to make that point. They should be setting an example.
For me it goes with sailing and fishing. Always wear a life jacket.

GEK79

Woke up to the sad news this morning that a local man I know had drowned on the River Blackwater while out fishing for the evening. He was fishing with a good friend of mine and when he failed to show up at the car at the end of the evening's fishing , my friend alerted the emergency services. Following an all night search, his body was found at 7.30 this morning.
Obviously we are all saddened by this tragic loss and my friend is devastated - as are the man's family.
They were lifelong friends and had fished this stretch of the river together hundreds of times.

Unfortunately he was not wearing a lifejacket .

Wear those jackets guys - I know they can be heavy and hot - but they may save your life. It can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye.

RIP Dermot.
Very sorry to here the sad news and for the father and son that passed here.. It should be a formality vest on and fish.. Sadly not always.. The way.. Hope your okay.. Stay safe..

Gerryb

I think that this subject is of sufficient importance that it be pinned here. How many of us wear a Life Jacket ,without any great thought given to it's proper use or indeed effectiveness ,simply because we are required to do so.

haggstock

If fly fishing was a task carried out by industry , the general approach we all take to risk in certain situations would not be tolerated without a number of mitigating actions being in place . It’s so sad to read about this tragic event .

benisa

Always a good idea to check your lifejacket at the start of the season. I've had to replace the co2 cylider on a couple of occasions.

Some good advice here...

good sound advise !

benisa

I have written to several of the magazines in the past to make that point. They should be setting an example.
For me it goes with sailing and fishing. Always wear a life jacket.
i think the same with the old fly fisherman mag

Got a response back and was told , good point to bring up BUT we can not control the articles that go in and its up to each person

good answer THINK NOT !

if I was the editor I would not print the picture
but sorry to say its all down to the Money

squimp

I know 5 people who have drowned in fishing/boating related accidents.

As far as I'm aware none were wearing life jackets and 3 of them could not swim......

Please take these warning seriously.