Wearing waders in a boat

paul100

Hi all

As above is it safe to do so ? I keep seeing this in the magazines and think I'd have been better prepared if I'd worn my waders on a boat the last year when I fished through a downpour all day and my waterproofs trousers left me with a wet backside - not pleasant 😁

I've read a few contradicting opinions and would like to know in preparation for next season if I should encounter such weather conditions?

Apologies if been asked hundreds of times as I'm sure it has.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Last edited:

gmm243

I always wear waders in the boat as I keep my boat on the trailer most of the time and have to launch it and lift it every time I go fishing,not easy to do that in only wellies. It is only 10 minutes drive to my nearest slip and putting the boat in and out is no big issue,takes only a few minutes in and out.
I find that modern waders are comfortable and only overheat on a really sunny day which is not great for fishing anyway.I combine the waders with a wading jacket (if wet) and a life jacket that has a under crotch strap.
It is very rare now to see anyone one who fishes regularly on loughs not to be wearing chest waders,they keep you dry from the elements, when driving through a wave and also the continuous drip off your wrist when pulling wets all day.

paul100

Thanks for the replies guys - so its waders for me in future.

Paul

eddleston123

So, you fall overboard with thigh waders on - When the waders fill up with water does that drag you under or does water inside the waders equalise the weight?

Secondly - you fall overboard wearing chest waders - now assuming you have a belt on, how long would it take for water to fill the waders up ?

Douglas

codyarrow

Always wear chest waders as 90% of the club boats need to be pushed out to launch. Mind you it never gets that hot in the highlands, if I was fishing further south it might be different.

codyarrow

So, you fall overboard with thigh waders on - When the waders fill up with water does that drag you under or does water inside the waders equalise the weight?

Secondly - you fall overboard wearing chest waders - now assuming you have a belt on, how long would it take for water to fill the waders up ?

Douglas
Did'nt Hugh Faulkus jump into a river once to show how to handle the situation?

Tangled

There are lot of videos on the net of people jumping into swimming pools to show that it's myth that you go straight down. Here's One - he's a bit of a richard but if you fast forward you can see what happens

Sexyloops tested it too

With a safety on too, I can't see any problem.

A bigger problem is sitting in a puddle all day will almost alway get you a wet arse. Personally I prefer real plastic pants in a boat - you don't need breathable.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Hi all

As above is it safe to do so ? I keep seeing this in the magazines and think I'd have been better prepared if I'd worn my waders on a boat the last year when I fished through a downpour all day and my waterproofs trousers left me with a wet backside - not pleasant 😁

I've read a few contradicting opinions and would like to know in preparation for next season if I should encounter such weather conditions?

Apologies if been asked hundreds of times as I'm sure it has.

Thanks in advance

Paul
If is breathable chest waders, you will still get a wet bum!
If is rubber/plastic type chesties, you wont!
Bert

BobP

Douglas

I don't think that water inside a wader has suddenly become heavier than the same water outside. You'd need to kick them off before trying to get back in a boat.

I had the dubious pleasure of back stroking about 12 metres across a very cold backwater of the River Traun in Austria a number of years ago in chest waders. When my butt grounded I rolled over and crawled out of the water and emptied about a pint of water out of each leg. I was wearing a belt but no life jacket and the waders kept me well afloat.

Bobfly2

I often wear my Oceans in the boat. Nice and dry all day and no fastenings or welly straps or anything else to catch your line. You will have your neck collar lifevest so you cannot go down. Even without one you will not go down but you will not get back in over the side of the boat, lifevest or not, once you get water in the waders!!!! Just hold onto the boat and be taken to shallow water.

paul100

'If is breathable chest waders, you will still get a wet bum! ' - Why Bert ? Are they not an improvement on the so called wet weather gear for boats which I am still trying to find that keep me dry in the worste of downpours.

Paul

aenoon

'If is breathable chest waders, you will still get a wet bum! ' - Why Bert ? Are they not an improvement on the so called wet weather gear for boats which I am still trying to find that keep me dry in the worste of downpours.

Paul
Something to do with the pressure ratings on the breathable membranes.
Sit on them all day, you go way, way over the ratings!
They then let in water!
Bert

bobmiddlepoint

Something to do with the pressure ratings on the breathable membranes.
Sit on them all day, you go way, way over the ratings!
They then let in water!
Bert

I sat in a boat in Simms and Vision breathable waders for five or six days a week for three/four months seven years in a row and never got a wet arse.
I didn't here anyone else complaining about a wet rear end either.

Andy

aenoon

I sat in a boat in Simms and Vision breathable waders for five or six days a week for three/four months seven years in a row and never got a wet arse.
I didn't here anyone else complaining about a wet rear end either.

Andy
You never got continous heavy rain then?
Or perhaps you were not actually sitting on the boat?
Bert

Tangled

It's not good for them either. Get yourself some real plastic under your backside.

aenoon

Very often, still never got a wet arse.

Andy
Bottom line (yee ha, good pun) wading waders in breathables, simms or otherwise, are not designed for sitting on boats.
The hydrostatic pressure ratings of the best are around 20,000mm (the head of water) before leakage, is going to be surpassed by actually sitting on said waders for hours on end during a downpour!