Wearing waders in a boat

easker1

I wear an old pair of waterproof trousers cut down to shorts , keeps my nether regions dry, but a pair of Neoprene chesties would keep you afloat,easker1

Reactions: ACW

Cap'n Fishy

Hi all

As above is it safe to do so ? I keep seeing this in the magazines and think I'd have been better prepared if I'd worn my waders on a boat the last year when I fished through a downpour all day and my waterproofs trousers left me with a wet backside - not pleasant 😁

I've read a few contradicting opinions and would like to know in preparation for next season if I should encounter such weather conditions?

Apologies if been asked hundreds of times as I'm sure it has.

Thanks in advance

Paul

If your so-called waterproof trousers left you with a wet backside, then they clearly were not waterproof. Fancy, expensive, breathable membrane types such as Gore-Tex are great for coats, but not so good for sitting in a puddle in them. Just wear simple, cheap PVC or PU type over-trousers. They are totally waterproof...

Fortress

Col

bobmiddlepoint

Bottom line (yee ha, good pun) wading waders in breathables, simms or otherwise, are not designed for sitting on boats.
The hydrostatic pressure ratings of the best are around 20,000mm (the head of water) before leakage, is going to be surpassed by actually sitting on said waders for hours on end during a downpour!

And yet as a ghillie on Uist I was sat in a boat for hours on end in solid rain and never got wet.

I understand the theory but for me in the real world I stayed dry. Everyone else I saw wearing breathable waders also stayed dry.

Andy

jc123

I fell in the Tidal Trent with waders on years ago, straight into deep water on mud banks, i'm a strong swimmer and i would'nt recommend it..

BobP

I fell in the Tidal Trent with waders on years ago, straight into deep water on mud banks, i'm a strong swimmer and i would'nt recommend it..

No-one would recommend it, but the basic facts are that you obviously didn't panic, were able to get yourself out and survived the experience. Three positives to take from it of which the most important is the first. Had you panicked I doubt you would be here today.

suzuki15hp

I wear Redington breathable chest waders in my boat, with lifejacket obviously, as I need to be able to beach and launch my boat in water deeper than wellies. I sit for quite long periods in my boat, often in very wet conditions, and never experience a wet bum. Maybe sitting on a cushioned seat helps.

Cap'n Fishy

I wear Redington breathable chest waders in my boat, with lifejacket obviously, as I need to be able to beach and launch my boat in water deeper than wellies. I sit for quite long periods in my boat, often in very wet conditions, and never experience a wet bum. Maybe sitting on a cushioned seat helps.

Aye, the Lomond guys all wear breathable chesties for the same reason of having to launch boats from trailers, or fetch them from their moorings, and they all seem to be fine. Yet every complaint about wet arses in boats comes from folk who have bought expensive breathable over-trousers. I can only conclude there is a fundamental difference in the construction of breathable waders and breathable over-trousers? :unsure:

I guess if you are used to wearing chesties in the boat, it's fine. Personally, I wouldn't fancy spending a day sitting in chesties when it's scorchio. I'd be like a clootie dumpling by the end of the day! 🤪 I like to get my wellies and socks off in the boat! (y) I mind one day fishing Chew when it hit 34C. We were sitting on the thwart boards dangling our feet in the water over the gunwale. 🤭

I would say, if you need chesties for launching etc, fine, and if not, get a £10 pair of PVC/PU work trousers and keep them in your bag until needed.

Col

wobbly face

Having had a wet @rse on several occasions wearing waterproof over trousers (from cheap pvc to more expensive breathables) I found it's the seams that leaked. The material stretches or moves and causes the stitch holes to distort and any tape departs, breaks, splits etc. I've not tried any over trousers with wielded seams yet.

Cap'n Fishy

Having had a wet @rse on several occasions wearing waterproof over trousers (from cheap pvc to more expensive breathables) I found it's the seams that leaked. The material stretches or moves and causes the stitch holes to distort and any tape departs, breaks, splits etc. I've not tried any over trousers with wielded seams yet.

Aye, you certainly need ones of decent construction, Ged. No guarantees the brand you buy have actually done a decent job with the seams. I've been wearing those ones I put the link up to for several years now, including days of sitting in a deluge of biblical proportions - with no problems.

I even hesitate to make such recommendations, because brands can change hands, and the factory putting them out can change methods. I recommended a pair to Jimmy many years ago (Flexothane, if memory serves), unaware the company had changed hands and changed manufacturers, but kept the name. He bought a pair and reckoned you could shoot peas through the holes in the fabric! 🤪

Here is a photo of the seams on my Fortress ones where they meet at the gusset...

I reckon I have had this pair for about 5 years now and they are still 100% watertight. But at £10 a pop, you are not getting badly burned if you need to change them every few years, eh?

The other thing I would suggest it to buy a pair larger than you need. That way they are a loose fit and you are not putting pressure on the seams when you sit down.

Col

Wee Jimmy

Aye, you certainly need ones of decent construction, Ged. No guarantees the brand you buy have actually done a decent job with the seams. I've been wearing those ones I put the link up to for several years now, including days of sitting in a deluge of biblical proportions - with no problems.

I even hesitate to make such recommendations, because brands can change hands, and the factory putting them out can change methods. I recommended a pair to Jimmy many years ago (Flexothane, if memory serves), unaware the company had changed hands and changed manufacturers, but kept the name. He bought a pair and reckoned you could shoot peas through the holes in the fabric! 🤪

Here is a photo of the seams on my Fortress ones where they meet at the gusset...

I reckon I have had this pair for about 5 years now and they are still 100% watertight. But at £10 a pop, you are not getting badly burned if you need to change them every few years, eh?

The other thing I would suggest it to buy a pair larger than you need. That way they are a loose fit and you are not putting pressure on the seams when you sit down.

Col
I’ve always wondered what your gusset looks like Col.....🤣

suzuki15hp

Col
Looks to me like you had to dress a baw a side wi that industrial gusset. o_O

wobbly face

Cheers for that post Col (#30). (y)
I did order 2 pairs of flexothane bib and brace, one for me, other for brother in law. I got his size but mine not in stock. 😞
I've been looking at VASS, 175 or 350 (unlined).
Looking at the Fortress in your link, the legs are too short for me, especially if sitting down, would have to wear the wellingtons.

Cap'n Fishy

I’ve always wondered what your gusset looks like Col.....🤣

I had a first for me a couple of weeks ago - being given a full medical examination prior to lining up my hip-op... young nurse gives me 2 swabs to take... "This one is for the inside of your nose... and this one is for your perineum..." Erm... o-kayyyy...

"I'll leave the room while you do it - just knock on the door when you are done," she says...

I wonder if they found anything interesting living down there... what with all the hours spent stewing in those waterproof trousers! 🤪

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Cheers for that post Col (#30). (y)
I did order 2 pairs of flexothane bib and brace, one for me, other for brother in law. I got his size but mine not in stock. 😞
I've been looking at VASS, 175 or 350 (unlined).
Looking at the Fortress in your link, the legs are too short for me, especially if sitting down, would have to wear the wellingtons.

I'm a shortarse, Ged - I actually cut the bottoms off the legs when I got them - what with ordering one size too big, as per what I was saying about keeping them loose. But when I am wearing them it is because it is raining, and then I have my wellies on in the boat anyway...

Col

wobbly face

Just aswell you didn't post a link there Col. :eek:

I had a pair of over trouser legs extended/made longer as one coarse fishing venue I fished needed a trek which was better done in boots than wellies. I've still got them but as posted earlier, they leek at the seam as the tape has perished. I was going to re-tape them, even got some tape but ....... I'm liable to melt the dam fabric.

easker1

we used to wear a full length smock when we wore waders in the Salmon coble, we had to do this as we were in and out all the time, but they were only made in bright yellow, but Ideal for waders, easker1

Latest posts