Weather

whitehorses

264115859_754140428861787_2537809993212505194_n.jpg

HERES A SURVIVAL GUIDE TO THE STORM

Paul_B

Well you got to look after no. 1. I've seen bottles of ordinary whiskey getting gifted from person to person and the original gifter getting it back again.

They drink whisky with coke 😰 so I'm not buying them any of the decent stuff, they get far-mouse grouse instead.

A bit like our old landlord, he had a full shelf of nice whiskey but if anyone wanted one with coke orange etc they got a bells whisky from the big bottle (originally his family came over from Ireland to work in the pits)

Anyhow, woke up this morning to find it mild and dry and a big red sunrise, the weatherman said rain all night 🤥

The calm?..............

bobmiddlepoint

Well I hope you Irish guys are surviving the storm and the bread and Guinness are holding up.

Checked my local met office location which is giving me an ice warning. Only according to their forecast the temp will be 1 to 2 degrees? My physics 'o' level is telling me somethings not quite right. :unsure:

Meanwhile here in the far North it has been windless and ruddy cold all day. Forecast temperature notwithstanding there was plenty of black ice about this morning. I set off up the strath for Inverness at 7am and had a few minor slips in the first ten miles. Then I got to the open country with no trees which was a bit slippier but still not too bad. Shortly after I caught up with the gritter driven by Dave, he waved me by and I crept forward on the ungritted section. Two hundred yards later on a right angle bend normally taken at 30mph I half spun off at just 10mph. I pulled into the next passing place and waited for Dave "Do you not fancy it?" he asked. I fell back in behind the gritter but progress was so slow I abandoned after another to miles, I don't need to spend the day in the ditch that badly!

Here's a question, why don't gritters chuck the grit out in front of them? It would give them half a chance on black ice. I've known steep hills that get gritted by reversing down them as it is the only safe option.

Andy

codyarrow

Might have been icy but looks like we will miss the worst of it. No serious wind forecast.
Having experienced several nights of winds around the 100mph mark I hope the rest of you further south are ok.

ohanzee

Got a bit of a hammering here about 3-5pm, got home to discover one of my recycling bins is gone, short lived and the two slates that came out in the last storm are still temporarily pushed back into place so I don't need to get up till lunchtime when it gets daylight:(

GEK79

Well I hope you Irish guys are surviving the storm and the bread and Guinness are holding up.

Meanwhile here in the far North it has been windless and ruddy cold all day. Forecast temperature notwithstanding there was plenty of black ice about this morning. I set off up the strath for Inverness at 7am and had a few minor slips in the first ten miles. Then I got to the open country with no trees which was a bit slippier but still not too bad. Shortly after I caught up with the gritter driven by Dave, he waved me by and I crept forward on the ungritted section. Two hundred yards later on a right angle bend normally taken at 30mph I half spun off at just 10mph. I pulled into the next passing place and waited for Dave "Do you not fancy it?" he asked. I fell back in behind the gritter but progress was so slow I abandoned after another to miles, I don't need to spend the day in the ditch that badly!

Here's a question, why don't gritters chuck the grit out in front of them? It would give them half a chance on black ice. I've known steep hills that get gritted by reversing down them as it is the only safe option.

Andy
I'm sat listening to the wind and rain battering the house I have turned trampoline upside down after it blew over the hedge and have used concrete slabs to weight down.. The south is taking a true hammering. Hope tall are safe and well..

taffy1

Wind has been constant, even now. Had thunder, lightning, rain & hail throughout the day. Fortunately so far, no power outages. Hope everyone else is safe & sound, might be a long night.

taffy1

Here we are at almost 1:45 & the wind is still blowing a hoolie, power still remains but I dread to think what roads & such like are in daylight later. Hope everyone that has to travel can do so in safety.

Mr Notherone

What a night!
My wife is worried about whether the house and garden are still intact and if the fence has gone.
I’m worried about whether I’ll be able to get a couple of nymphs through the pool below the bridge or if I’ll have to try and reach it with klink & dink….

Jason 70

No worries here, our glass bottle recycling bin has stood firm! It would need a charging Rhino to budge that, with the number of empties in it! Checked the river line and Pike fishing is looking iffy this weekend. Best get off to work.

flounder

weather is what it is, think I will pull a 1 day sickie, (may become 2, you never know with these type of illnesses at this time of year) and go fishing I am sure the boss will not mind 🎣

Paul_B

We started with strong winds and some rain at about 9pm, its subsided quite a bit now, however we've been promised a lot of rain for today, which sounds about right as we have a couple of tellys due for delivery.

Gdog

It's very windy outside, not as bad as yesterday. I'll head out for a walk with our dog and my son (school cancelled due to orange weather warning).

Hardrar

Checked my local met office location which is giving me an ice warning. Only according to their forecast the temp will be 1 to 2 degrees? My physics 'o' level is telling me somethings not quite right. :unsure:
I’m also an amateur weather recorder and have a weather recording station that’s linked into the Met Grid.
Very interesting point you make, it’s not well understood, but we mainly measure and declare air temperature and sub 4 deg C will equate to a ground temp of about zero C, depending on Wind and exposure to radiant heat from the Sun, this is why most modern cars will give you a “beep” and display a snowflake in the dash display at 4C or below. Yesterday we had 2 deg C here until after Noon and the grass remained covered in frost all morning with ice in the puddles.
This isn’t taught in schools or to young drivers anymore, but needs to be, we’ve had two fatal local accidents recently due to ice on the roads, council didn’t salt as it wasn’t “cold enough” young drivers involved in both, not heeding dash readouts and driving as if it wasn’t icy. Both ended up sliding into HGVs head on, on a major trunk road.

GEK79

It's very windy outside, not as bad as yesterday. I'll head out for a walk with our dog and my son (school cancelled due to orange weather warning).
Im sat with no power.. No feckin morning tea. 🤣🤣🤣