Welcome to the new wildlife forum.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
I guess this was indeed a natural extension of the new birdwatching forum so thanks to those members (and staff) who suggested this board as an addition also!

I am definitely one of those anglers who enjoys stalking whether it be on a clear trout water or an old estate lake after carp and that often brings me into close proximity to wildlife. I can't help checking out every little rustle in the undergrowth in the hope of spotting the shrew, mouse or vole responsible or indeed rat of course as it often turns out to be at fisheries where lots of bait gets dropped on the bank.

Deer, badgers, foxes, weasels, stoats and for those up in the far north pine martens for those lucky few! So much to see.

What have you seen whilst out fishing?

ant77

Shouldn't the much-maligned birdwatching forum be a sub-forum of this one, not be a separate one altogether? RSPB will be happy though, apparently they like to keep birds separate because they're better, and they also like to post their RSS feeds 4 times in one thread.

jameswaine

What's next?

Whale watching forum?

Model building forum?

Train enthusiast forum?

I think having a few little sub forums like the other sports and cooking etc. are good but let's not forget the main reason we all joined - it's a fishing forum.

I don't enjoy being constantly inundated with RSPB propaganda.

fishyrob

I guess this was indeed a natural extension of the new birdwatching forum so thanks to those members (and staff) who suggested this board as an addition also!

A natural extention!!!!! you must be having a laugh :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

brownsville

Since you haven't responded in the other thread, you might want to consider that it would only take a small exodus of those, mostly in the tying section, who post original content, and the FFF could be left to the illiterate brain-dead majority who incessantly ask and answer the same questions ad infinitum.

What reel goes with this rod, FFS?

What's your favourite sandwich??

It's become a sprawling, disjointed facebook

Last edited by a moderator:

campsiefisher

I'm in total agreement with the posters here, Bird Watching and wildlife should be put under the already present sub forum of "Other Sports/Hobbies", yes it's all very well for the Editor to reply, Dont like - Dont read, but the others have a valid point, the largest body of contributors on this forum, (myself included) joined a fly fishing forum to read about fly fishing related topics.

This twitter or facebook column is another gross mistake by the web designers, adding those colums as a sidebar has severely limited the page views, these colums (if needed) should be at the foot of the pages, where they do not encroach on the general forum page design.

These introductions are a drastic deterioration of what was once a good "flyfishing" forum layout.

Best regards
Jim

FlyForumAdmin

It is disappointing to read such negative comments about this forum. The Bird Watching forum has over 1800 views since 18th Jan so is popular and I am sure it will build over the coming weeks.

The Wildlife forum was started following a request and clearly has not got off to a good start but we will see and if not popular will close/move it.

For my part Birds and Wildlife form an important part of my fishing experiences.

Regards

Richard

guest21

I'm in total agreement with the posters here, Bird Watching and wildlife should be put under the already present sub forum of "Other Sports/Hobbies", yes it's all very well for the Editor to reply, Dont like - Dont read, but the others have a valid point, the largest body of contributors on this forum, (myself included) joined a fly fishing forum to read about fly fishing related topics.

This twitter or facebook column is another gross mistake by the web designers, adding those colums as a sidebar has severely limited the page views, these colums (if needed) should be at the foot of the pages, where they do not encroach on the general forum page design.

These introductions are a drastic deterioration of what was once a good "flyfishing" forum layout.

Best regards
Jim
Totally agreed flooded with Bill odies Doogooders too many bird threads??
TT:confused::confused:

ant77

It is disappointing to read such negative comments about this forum. The Bird Watching forum has over 1800 views since 18th Jan so is popular and I am sure it will build over the coming weeks.

The Wildlife forum was started following a request and clearly has not got off to a good start but we will see and if not popular will close/move it.

For my part Birds and Wildlife form an important part of my fishing experiences.

Regards

Richard

No-one is disputing that, we all go fishing.

I think all we want to know is why Birds are being treated separately to Wildlife and why is the RSPB being allowed to post completely anonymously (so to speak) via an automated RSS? It is irritating many that RSPB appear at the same time as the new ad layout, they have a very strong presence there, and are suddenly being allowed to actually post in the forums. This is completely unheard of. It is also likely to open the floodgates for any other organisation with enough advertising budget.

This is genuine feedback from the people who've built up the reputation, credibility, and hence popularity of this forum to such an extent (myself excluded of course) that it is now seen as a very worthy venture for advertisers.

Best
Ant

brownsville

Ironically I was going to resurrect the 'feed the birds' thread when the snow fell last week. It was running for years, but seems to have been lost along with the Monnow and Welsh Dee threads [which I read end to end, even before joining as a member].

The way the forum is going such witty, intelligent and informative content has been replaced with an ethos which can only be described as whoring for hits.

Good luck with that Richard.

Endrick

I never go in via the "forums" tab but rather go in via the "new posts" tab - I suspect most others do too. This begs the question "why so much segmentation"? It does make it an absolute pain when deciding where to put a new post.

So keeping with the current topic we have an over-riding "wildlife" category in my view. Then we have two forums - entomology and birds - which could easily be subsumed into it - thus getting rid of two forums and losing no value whatever as people will still read all the posts if they go in, as always, via the "new posts".

Of course you may have stats that show that access via the "forums" tab is prevalent but I would be surprised.

MAlcolm

campsiefisher

The Bird Watching forum has over 1800 views since 18th Jan so is popular

If you judge how popular particular forums and threads are by it's amount of views, you are being very naive, because someone looked at a particular thread does not mean they are applauding it's merit and content, take this thread for instance, i see no praises being given out.

One of the more recent threads with very high views was a member insulting most of the other members on here, yes he was popular, about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit.

I personally viewed this thread because i think you must be having a laugh, as do the others. :eek:mg:

Best regards
Jim

lochbois

I took my dog for our walk to the paper shop on Tuesday. It was 8-20 am and thats the busy school run time.What a surprise i got when a big fox came running past us. The fox ran between cars and it nearly got run over by a speeding car.Next day i saw a smaller fox at 4am and then at 5am when i went to put the bins out. Talking to neighbours they told me the fox is getting regular.I am happy to see these foxes on our council estate. We are on the boarder of the countryside so they live on the railway embankment.
Tescos and Mcdonalds are where i usually see the fox they love the rubish left by lazy people who cant be bothered to walk to the bins provided.
Is it good to encourage these wild foxes ?.:thumbs::)

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
instead of General Fly Fishing Discussion can we have a

dry fly on rivers forum ;)

wet fly on rivers forum ;)

dry fly on stillwaters forum ;)

wet fly on stillwaters forum ;)

dapping forum;)

north country spiders forum;)

loch style forum;)

lure fishing forum ;)

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

having them all in general fly fishing discussion is such a pain ,would be so much easier in there own category;) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BRUCE1

BRUCE1

yeah thanks you lot ,well 3 members anyway ;):D

I'd much prefer to have a forum called "wildlife and nature" rather than having a forum restricted to birdwatching. Birds are but a fraction of what we see and are interested in when we go fishing. What about the amphibians, lizards, water voles or even the wild orchids?

Malcolm

I'll second that Malcolm.Much as '' I am a serious birdwatcher''

Jim

+1 from me for a wildlife and nature forum too. Im really interested in amphibians. Frogs are people too !

Fair point Malcolm and I agree and I have put the proposal to the rest of Admin for consideration.

BobP

lochbois

Keep your dog well away from those foxes. Fox mange is endemic in the urban fox population and if your dog gets it it'll cost you a fortune at the vet. Very nasty.

lochbois

Thanks for that advice Bob P:thumbs:.
My dogs only young and she is a Shnauzer she is usually sniffing everywhere and misses foxes and rabbits. She chased a few Deers but she is comeing back to my command now .
I was told that Road Salt is dangerous it contains antifreeze ect.
I do dry her with a cloth when she comes in from a walk.
She is a very fit and healthy dog touch wood she gets loads of exersize in the countryside.
I could easily pack in fishing these days and watch British Wildlife .
I have got my club fees paid this year and i should be alright with the E/A licence.The Wear and the Tees are great for wildlife and the fishing isnt bad.
Teesdale Reservoirs fishing for wild browns i usually have 100 acres to myself to fish and watch the wildlife.
I was barred from a forum in Whitby and i miss the talk about the widlife i was haveing with a stockton on tees member.
Any way that mediator did me a favour because this forum talks about fishing and i still havnt used half of what is available . I am a complete novice when it comes to computing.:thumbs::)

shpeil

I've no problem with conversations about wildlife but I wonder how I'm going to have a conversation with an RSS feed.

Latest posts