Well done Hardy's.

BobP

I believe in praise where praise is due. Some time ago I broke the tip section of my Zenith Sintrix 9' #4, but due to guiding committments plus an extended holiday I wasn't going to be using the rod for some time so did nothing about sorting out a replacement tip.

So, with the grayling season not far off I decided to do something about it and on Monday ar 4.58pm I left a message on the Hardy Customers services website. An hour later I got an acknowledgement which stated at that they would be in touch regarding my request within 24 hours. On Tuesday at 09.23 I received an email staring that the section I required was in stock and if I would like to phone the number given I could order it. By 09.30 the phone call had been made, the part ordered and by 09.30 this morning the courier delivered it.

My only criticism is that they packed a 2' long tip section into a cardboard tube 5' long which struck me as being a bit excessive, but I guess it can be recycled. On the whole I consider that to be excellent service from Hardy's and worthy of Star of the Month is such a thing exists.

BobP

Yes, but it was entirely worth it. I was not the original owner of the rod so I didn't expect to get anything for free. It was certainly a lot cheaper than just binning a very good fishing rod. Others might have chosen to do so and buy a bit of Shakespeare junk for much the same money instead; I did not. As it happened I told them I was not the original owner but it made absolutely no difference to the service.

Last edited:

haggstock

I’ve got exactly the same rod , it is sublime . Nice to know that Hardy could help out with a spare on a rod out of production for 4 years , and a popular sized one to boot.

bibio1st

Glad you got it sorted but a bit harsh with the ‘Shakespeare junk’ I have Hardy’s and Marryat rods but one of my favourites for the smaller rivers is a Shakespeare 7ft 4wt, might be cheap but junk it isn’t.

Steve

airsprite

Glad you got some good service from Hardys :thumbs:
I had a look round their museum and tackle shop recently in Alnwick, very interesting,i would still like a nice Hardy cane rod.
Regarding Shakespeare rods,they don't have the quality guides and finish of Hardy rods, but they are very good fishing tools and certainly not junk!

Steve

LukeNZ

I believe in praise where praise is due. Some time ago I broke the tip section of my Zenith Sintrix 9' #4, but due to guiding committments plus an extended holiday I wasn't going to be using the rod for some time so did nothing about sorting out a replacement tip.

So, with the grayling season not far off I decided to do something about it and on Monday ar 4.58pm I left a message on the Hardy Customers services website. An hour later I got an acknowledgement which stated at that they would be in touch regarding my request within 24 hours. On Tuesday at 09.23 I received an email staring that the section I required was in stock and if I would like to phone the number given I could order it. By 09.30 the phone call had been made, the part ordered and by 09.30 this morning the courier delivered it.

My only criticism is that they packed a 2' long tip section into a cardboard tube 5' long which struck me as being a bit excessive, but I guess it can be recycled. On the whole I consider that to be excellent service from Hardy's and worthy of Star of the Month is such a thing exists.
I will also second your giving Hardy credit for great customer service.

I broke the 2nd section down on Zephrus 6/7 double hand Spey rod.

Don't know what caused it - called Hardy from New Zealand, and then shortly after had an e-mail from Sportfish, asking for my address. They sent me a new section FedEx international priority - got it about 7 days later. Cost - zero!

Also, another word in praise of Hardy. I have 3 or 4 of the widespool Perfects, in the trout sizes including the Taupo; they are in my opinion - the best made reels Hardy has ever produced and will last a lifetime or 2 of fishing.
If you ever feel the need to treat yourself.... understated strength, performance and functional beauty.

The agate line guard is now gone, but so are abrasive silk lines - there is not a better reel out there, and never will be with its longstanding pedigree..,

BobP

I had a chap to guide for on the Kennet a couple of years ago. Plenty of money for sure, but he had bought himself a Shakespeare Agility as a rod to chuck in the boot of the car. Brand new and fresh out of the bag and my first impression was that it was one line guide short as the gaps between the guides struck me as being too great and in use this proved to be case as there was rather more line slap against the blank than I would wish to see.

Next issue was that on two occasions on that first day the top two sections came apart from the bottom two. I would not expect that to happen ever on a Hardy or other decent quality rod. The most likely ending to that scenario is that one day he would hook a decent fish and because the sections were not seated properly the rod would break at that point.

Some will undoubtedly say that candle wax will solve the problem, but should one HAVE to wax the joints on a brand new rod? In my book, that's a no.

So junk it was, but you can't expect more from a dirt cheap rod.

airsprite

Ive always had perfect service from Hardy/Greys

And some resourceful person found this on another forum, if hardy cane rods are your thing:

Watch To Cane a Trout online - BFI Player

And having watched it I’m almost tempted. I wonder what they go for these days?
Yes its a great watch, Also have " The lost world of Mr Hardy " DVD which is brilliant :thumbs:
I have a Hardy Duchess reel which i use on my cane rods, which is a lovely thing.

I still don't agree with the Shakespeare is junk views. I was lucky enough to catch 2 lovely spring Salmon this year on the fly, 16lb and 18lb both on a Shakespeare Scandi rod, not a flash bit of kit but did the job admirably.

Steve

tangled

Absolutely nothing wrong with Shakespeare Agility rods - my 7’6” #4 that I bought as 'dispensable' is a lovely thing.

Nothing much wrong with most Hardy rods either, except that they're 15 times more expensive.

BobP

Absolutely nothing wrong with Shakespeare Agility rods - my 7’6” #4 that I bought as 'dispensable' is a lovely thing.

Nothing much wrong with most Hardy rods either, except that they're 15 times more expensive.
Pleased to hear it tangled, but if I don't have confidence in something I won't use it and watching the top half of that rod go flying off twice in the first day was enough for me. None of my other rods do it and they are not all ultra-expensive rods, so I fail to see why Shakespeare's do. No excuse for it.

tangled

Pleased to hear it tangled, but if I don't have confidence in something I won't use it and watching the top half of that rod go flying off twice in the first day was enough for me. None of my other rods do it and they are not all ultra-expensive rods, so I fail to see why Shakespeare's do. No excuse for it.
Your sample size was one, now it's two.

I've heard complaints about Hardy rods too. The thing is some of them are good and some of them not so good. What's a constant is their price.

Last edited:

BobP

Your sample size was one, now it's two.

I've heard complaints about Hardy rods too. The thing is some of them are good and some of them not so good. What's a constant is their price.
Not sure where you got the "two" from. I mentioned one rod that failed twice, and in fact it was more than twice because the second day I was guiding for him two weeks later it failed three times. After that I think he got the message.

tangled

Not sure where you got the "two" from.
Your sample size was one rod. You wrote off all Shakespeare rods on the basis of one rod with a dodgy spigot.

Your sample size increased to two when I told you of my rod. So now you have two experiences to judge from, one bad, one good.

I mentioned one rod that failed twice, and in fact it was more than twice because the second day I was guiding for him two weeks later it failed three times. After that I think he got the message.
I don't think you're getting the message, he had a rod with a miss-sized spigot. That can happen with any rod. So you return the faulty rod, not all Shakespeare rods have dodgy spigots, just like not all Hardy rods break. And just like not everyone has great things to say about Hardy customer service or their pricy warrantee. See

READ MY BAD EXPERIENCE ABOUT HARDY's WARRANTY AND COSTUMER SERVICE

Last edited:

tenet

I always wax the spigots of my rods, new or old. Bought a Shaky switch rod for a trip to the Thurso matched to a Barrio switch line. Spey casting imparts all sorts of twists to the sections but my waxed spigots stayed firm without the need for masking tape. It also handled this 13lb spring fish with aplomb.
free online image hosting

BobP

tangled,

I've never had a rod with a faulty spigot - dear or cheap, and if that is the standard that one can expect from Shakespeare's quality control then my description is pretty much on the mark. Anyway I'm not sure it is a spigot but is a push-over fit as it is with most modern rods. If that is the case there is even less excuse.

The replacement tip cost me £60 from Hardy's which I was happy to pay as it meant getting a £500+ rod back in action rather than in a skip. You will undoubtedly consider that I should have been given it for free.

tangled

I've never had a rod with a faulty spigot - dear or cheap
Neither have I

and if that is the standard that one can expect from Shakespeare's quality control then my description is pretty much on the mark.
You have a sample of one Bob. You can't conclude anything from that. I gave you an example of someone having exactly the opposite experience to you with Hardy's customer service. It doesn't mean that all Hardy's customer service is bad does it?

The replacement tip cost me £60 from Hardy's which I was happy to pay as it meant getting a £500+ rod back in action rather than in a skip. You will undoubtedly consider that I should have been given it for free.
I don't think you should have been given it for free - why would I? But I can guarantee that they're making a profit on that sale to you. And of course, you could buy a whole Shakespeare rod for that.

LukeNZ

Well the Hardy rods are certainly not 15 times better.
BUT, they are better - it has a cost, but for sure 60% mark up on a $100 rod is 15 times more on a $1500 rod.

Creates quite a disparity for sure. It unbalances the quality and performance perception between lower and higher quality rods.

Last edited: