Welsh Dee/Afon Dyfrdwy

Tango51

MADCASTER

River Dee "Mafia"

« Thread Started on 18th Apr, 2005 at 16:47 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What lays ahead is a tale of a group of fishermen who embark on a rollercoaster journey

bringing you valuable
information and a laugh along the way,

Based in the hills of the Welsh Dee is a sleepy little village called Corwen,
Corwen is the place where the Atlantic Salmon make for
on there epic journey from waters worlds away..some stop some pass through but they usually

dont go a lot further as its near the end of the road.

Seatrout also embark on this journey too.

The fishermen who pass on the knoledge to you are from all walks of life and have battled

long and hard with travellers and gypsies even taking one in as there own, even a village

gay..

They are characters known as spies...1 to 8....who have in turn been initiated by cruel

tests of courage and strength and personal stamina.
lead by the most feared figure to grace Wales
the DON......

we bring to you.. " THE DEE MAFIA " ..

Please read our thread on the Welsh Dee but remember the characters are not ficticous,
and we do enjoy catching anglers as well as fish

Last edited by a moderator:

moustique

Fishing this weekend

Hi Tango,

It seems a bit strange and lonely on here at the moment, I tried to use my old avatar but it won't let me.

I'll phone you later in the week with regards Saturday if the Dee isn't in flood?

At least the extra water may get the salmon moving? :)

S

Spy1

Rained hard today and more on the way, I'll check the river am on Thursday and let you know what the condition is then.

Spy1

Elwyman

Any reports of salmon being seen or caught in the Corwen area - tempted to have a go this weekend.

S

Spy1

Elwyman said:
thanks for the link 3lber - how many forums do you guys need!::D
The more the merrier:D River is up and coloured, possibly 6-9" this morning, there are Salmon in the Corwen area.

Spy1

moustique

This weekend?

Spy 1, Many thanks for the update.

The river and weather doesn't look good for fishing for brownies this weekend :(

It looks like you'll have to get your salmon rod out Tango! Lets hope next weekend is better for dry fly fishing !

If you're out after salmon, I hope you catch one!

Tight lines!

Bugsy

At feckin last............first my server goes down, then find out that the old forum has gone, then discover that a thread has turned into a forum :eek: (at the risk of being unpopular, I'm not sure about that one, but hey ho).

Tried subscribing to both forums only to find out that my firewall managed to destroy my activating e mails:mad:. Anyway, glad to be here.........as you said 'here we go again'. Jim I'm with you mate;)

Bugsy

Bugsy

There is something about this whole situation that doesn't 'sit easy' with me. What started as a 'bog standard' thread, progressed into 'something else'.....and it was:)

On my return from a long week, I discover that the thread that I'd contributed to and assisted in developing had turned into a forum:eek:

I always believed that the intention of the Dee Thread was to encourage banter and to involve all forum members in the trials and tribulations of the River Dee.

Friendship was also a key factor, for me, when posting on the Welsh Dee thread. Two socials were organised and I took great pleasure from the fact that complete strangers fished the river of my childhood and enjoyed the company of 'The Mafia' in the evening.

The whole thing, for me, was the fact that The Dee Thread was friendly, accomodating and without controversy. Although the thread still exists on this forum and that access to the Welsh Dee forum is available to everyone, I can't help thinking that the formation of a seperate forum will alienate us from others on here.

I may well be incorrect in my observations, however I felt it necessary to voice my concerns.

Bugsy

S

Spy1

'Don' I hear you, there was the 'History' of the thread to consider and the safety of that was paramount in the decision the 'Spies' took in your absence and 'Tango' tirelessly arranged the security of the thread, all of it including the pictures, the fact that you have not posted on the new 'Dee Forum' is worrying and somewhat surprising.Most of us have also registered for this 'Forum' and I will continue to post here.

Spy1

moustique

River Dee

Hi Bugsy,

Before Invicta launched this new forum, I did email him airing my concerns with regards another new forum, but as Jim has mentioned above, Invicta was just trying to protect the forum in a number of areas.

I used to post occasionally on the original "fish & fly" forum, and then lost track of it for a long time when it moved to the "pro boards", before finding it again early last year. Once again it's moved, and sadly, I guess it will lose some members along the way.

Personally, I don't like the layout of the site with the threads & forum being squashed into the middle of the page, and half the screen just being a background. It's obvious that as the threads progress the number of pages will increase quicker on here than on the old forum, but I guess it's something I'll have to live with :( Unless I'm missing something and can alter my page layout?

Spy1 - any news of any more salmon being caught, and numbers through the fish counter?

I've recently picked up some old Trout & Salmon magazines (92 to 96), and while I'm working my way through reading the articles (ripping out and saving any of interst), I do seem to be spending most of my time on the salmon ones! The old River Dee and Upper Severn reports are quite interesting! Pictures of the occasional monster certainly sets you thinking!

While the only salmon fishing I've ever done was in British Columbia in 98, I keep thinking that with good runs of salmon and sea trout now returning to our rivers, maybe it's worth a few sessions fishing for them? A new challenge to test my skills?

Tango - if the river is ok this coming weekend, then I may be playing out, if anyone's interested in pursuing little brownies?

:)

Last edited:

JAD

Welsh Dee

Well I've arrived at last ;) Thanks to my mate Tango. My firewall was stopping me registering so turned it off for a few seconds and I'm in :D

I was hoping to fish some time this week (Salmon) can anyone tell me would it be worth it ?

JAD

S

Spy1

Dee 2' up today and rising, still raining, Reservoirs and Llyn Bala full to the brim. me thinks it will take a while to drop , but I'll post daily on the conditions in the upper reaches, kind yeah!, no news from the trap this week to date, I will post as info comes in.

Spy1

JAD

Salmon on Welsh Dee

Thanks Spy 1. According to the weather forcast its going to be raining on and off for the rest of the week :(

JAD