Welsh Dee/Afon Dyfrdwy

Bugsy

Further to my posts regarding the differentials which can occur between Manley Hall and Corwen gauges. We've had rain today and the river in Corwen has been rising steadily all day.

Last night Manley was at 660 whilst Corwen was at 570. Tonight however the Corwen level is here: -

Environment Agency - River levels station data

whilst Manley is here: -

Environment Agency - River levels station data

Manley in the morning however will be a very different story.

Bugsy

carl r

id like to add to this thread, the differences in levels may have something to do with the very fast river Ceriog entering the River Dee, well above Manley Hall. whilst the River Ceriog is a short river, about 15 miles at the most, it carry a lot of water from the Ceriog valley and this year we have seen the river burst its banks on a number of occasion, thankfully I live just above it and not below it.

grayling4

Fished the dee at bala last Saturday (21st) Have a few nice grayling and a nice brownie. However, in over 20 years of fishing the river I have never ever seen it so low, right down to its bare bones!!!! Needs a good flush out

pedros

Well Dee officionados, what do we know about current water releases? A dozen of us guested across the Corwen Anglers Crogan beats yesterday as part of a Tenkara day out. Water was absolutely freezing with, according to a couple of the Corwen regulars, a drop of around 3 degrees...! Hence fishing was incedibly tough. Told that Brenig needs to lose a metre a month in readiness for dam repairs...

Bugsy

Well Dee officionados, what do we know about current water releases? A dozen of us guested across the Corwen Anglers Crogan beats yesterday as part of a Tenkara day out. Water was absolutely freezing with, according to a couple of the Corwen regulars, a drop of around 3 degrees...! Hence fishing was incedibly tough. Told that Brenig needs to lose a metre a month in readiness for dam repairs...
Pedros.......please allow me to explain. Conditions on the Dee had been humid for a couple of weeks but Friday night / Saturday morning heralded a massive change in temperature. We had rain on Friday but that night the cloud disappeared and the temp dropped......how do I know?......I was Sea Trout fishing. At 10pm the air temp was 13 degrees (cold for the time of year) but by 12.15am it had dropped to a staggering 8 degrees!!!!.........needless to say I left the river having only fished for an hour.

Believe it or not, release water in the main river is a relatively uncommon occurence nowadays. The majority of releases are made from Llyn Celyn but on most occasions this water is turned into Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake).......this practice has some massive associated issues for Salmon but that's another matter - one which is being dealt with ;)

You're correct about Brenig........they are dropping the level there but this certainly didn't have any effect on your day. Firstly, the release is only 1 cumec a day and more importantly the Brenig water enters the Dee about 7 river miles below the Crogen waters - you can safely rule out that possibility :thumbs:

I'm afraid Pedros that your day was ruined by the weather and had nothing whatsoever to do with water releases.....should have tried heavy nymphs!!! :whistle:

Bugsy

Last edited:

frankthesurf

Hi Pedros
By yesterday I assume you mean Saturday?
Yes it was cold, I was on the river by 7 am and it was 8 degrees.
Having bashed around with my salmon rod for a few hours on the lower Corwen beats my mate arrived and we had a trout grayling fishing session.
I had about 12 fish in about 3 hours of which about half where small par.
2 nice trout and a grayling of over 2lb and the rest a mixed bag of decent sizes.
All on the dry fly. (size 20 plume)
It drizzled most of the time but I wouldn't have said the water was that cold having personally tested it by falling in!!

pedros

Thanks Frank/Bugsy,
Well that about clears things up! I just wouldn't have expected the river temp to drop that quick. We were fishing with messr's Ainsworth and Noble so the experience was there.
BTW I did have 6 Grayling, on bugs, and a couple of parr but wow it was tough...
P

Last edited:

ab2012

Has anyone been out salmon fishing? I fished early morning on Monday in Llangollen and hooked into a salmon on the fly only for the line to go horribly slack after no more than 15 seconds of contact - devastated!
It would be reassuring to hear if anyone else has been out and any signs of the silver tourists being present

nortontrout

I'm visiting Llangollen for 3 days 29th - 31st August unbelievably my wife suggested I should have a couple of days fly fishing (Yippee) Never fished the Dee before, so I would love some recommendations on the best beats to fish for Brown Trout and Grayling and best tactics, flies etc. and where do i get day tickets from. Cheers.

nortontrout

Thanks for the info Sewin, checked both the Llangollen and Corwen fishing sites, with so much water between them, like looking at a needle in a haystack, I'm looking for the better beats for Brown Trout and Grayling as I only have a few days. Cheers

sewinbasher

Thanks for the info Sewin, checked both the Llangollen and Corwen fishing sites, with so much water between them, like looking at a needle in a haystack, I'm looking for the better beats for Brown Trout and Grayling as I only have a few days. Cheers
If you're prepared to go to Corwen I would as it is more lightly fished than parts of Llangollen/Maelor. If you contact Bugsy on here he'll put you on the best spots on the Corwen day ticket water (most of the CADAC water is not available on day tickets). On the Llangollen/Maelor water the beat along the edge of the golf course has good trout and particularly grayling but is the location for many trials and comps and the fish see a few flies.

Your other option is to go a bit further up to the Bala AC water and their Llandderfel beats is good for both. On most Dee beats you will find that grayling predominate and trout are usually less numerous and smaller.

nortontrout

Thanks Sewinbasher, I'll try and make contact with Bugsy for a few tips and local knowledge. Thought about a drive up tomorrow Saturday (70+ miles from me) but don't know about V Festival traffic on the A5 /M54….So probably have a day on the Derbyshire Wye instead.

haresear18

Thinking of fishing the Dee at Llangollen waters or Bala in the next week or two-any info on hatches/water conditions( read about release for a dam repair, is that finished?)/competitions? Am travelling a fair way, so would prefer to avoid a river full of competing anglers!
Grateful for any up to date info really, thanks in advance

Latest posts