Welsh Dee/Afon Dyfrdwy

sewinbasher

I've heard the same story and also that another of similar size was lost after a long battle.

I was fishing near Corwen yesterday and saw quite a few salmon on the move and my mate had a grayling of 16/17" on a Cascade!

It's a bit worrying that, although salmon catches seem better this year, they may well be fish from the big run that came through the trap in May as the number of summer fish and particularly grilse seem poor.

Last edited:

lyndonford

So I just checked the Cadac website and will be rejoining for the new season. Im planning on spending the winter months tying up some flies for trout and grayling and also plan on getting hold of a salmon fly rod and reel.
Any regular Dee fishers have suggestions for patterns that have worked for them? My fly boxes for river trout and grayling are in need of an upgrade and my salmon flies are currently non existent!
Any fly suggestions greatly received!
Thanks in advance!

sewinbasher

So I just checked the Cadac website and will be rejoining for the new season. Im planning on spending the winter months tying up some flies for trout and grayling and also plan on getting hold of a salmon fly rod and reel.
Any regular Dee fishers have suggestions for patterns that have worked for them? My fly boxes for river trout and grayling are in need of an upgrade and my salmon flies are currently non existent!
Any fly suggestions greatly received!
Thanks in advance!
I get no pleasure from slinging heavy bugs so my fly choices omit these.

Grayling:
Dry - F-Fly, Cul de Canon, Griffiths Gnat (with pink tag), Sun Fly
Wet - Red Tag, Black & Peacock, Snipe & Purple, Flashback PTN, Partridge & Orange, Pink Shrimp

Trout:
As above plus Parachute Adams, Imperial, Baetis Nymph and Grannom

Salmon:
Ally's Shrimp, Cascade, Silver Stoat

Don't overlook the sea trout - anything basically black and silver or black and gold.

Last edited:

lyndonford

Thank you very much for your reply Sewinbasher! Thats very helpful, i shall be busy at the vice every bit of free time I get!
Hopefully 2017 will be the year of my first Salmon after 25 years of fishing!

delray

Hello,
I'm thinking of coming up to fish the Dee late Feb, hoping to pick up a Grayling or 2, and was hoping for some advice on where I might be able to fish, bearing in mind I'll have to be a bit on the conservative side when wading (knee replacement with a minor complication). I'm also thinking a guide would be a good idea to make the 3 1/2 hour drive worth it, at least on the first day, so a bit of advice there would be very welcome too.
Apologies if this subject area has been dealt with on here before now.
Regards,
Del

mrnotherone

Del, unfortunately no experience of the Dee but the Wye & Usk Foundation have a couple of grayling beats on the Dee and could recommend a guide. I'd be tempted to give them a call if you can't find other advice.

delray

There are several clubs on the Dee offering good day ticket water at better value than the WUF.

Llangollen Maelor Angling - Your guide to fishing on the River Dee in North Wales, UK (£18 per day - £60 per week)

www.corwenanddistrictanglingclub.co.uk (£20 per day but Country Members £90 per season plus joining fee)

Home (£12.50 per day)
Thank you very much for that information, it's much appreciated. I must admit, the country membership looks very tempting.
Apologies for 'going on' but do you know any guides in the area?
Regards,
Del

sewinbasher

Thank you very much for that information, it's much appreciated. I must admit, the country membership looks very tempting.
Apologies for 'going on' but do you know any guides in the area?
Regards,
Del
There's Derek Turner and Louis Noble, there was Gwilym Hughes but I think he's retired.

I know Derek and he's pretty good. You can contact him through Foxon's or here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/derek-turner-30425719

sewinbasher

Whats the location of these beats?????

Harry
They sell tickets for Llangollen Maelor that are also available direct from the club and are currently showing no availability. They also sell for Midland Flyfishers, I think near Crowen, and these are £20 per day.

tubefly

They sell tickets for Llangollen Maelor that are also available direct from the club and are currently showing no availability. They also sell for Midland Flyfishers, I think near Crowen, and these are £20 per day.
Thanks ,my translation was the Wye and Usk had beats on the Dee.

Harry

Arthur Wellesley

I gather Harry, the Country Secretary, has been unwell and an alternative point of contact was communicated. I got my guest tickets very promptly last week. Will find you the contact details when I get home later.

Kev

Arthur Wellesley

PM sent with contact details.

A first for me last week on CADAC beats - an otter popped up in the pool I was fishing. Couple of dives and it disappeared. For some reason the rising fish skedaddled too.

Kev

JeffR

PM sent with contact details.

A first for me last week on CADAC beats - an otter popped up in the pool I was fishing. Couple of dives and it disappeared. For some reason the rising fish skedaddled too.

Kev
I think there must have been otters in lots of the runs I fished Kev. I couldn't actually see any, but I've used up all my other excuses:eek:mg::D

sewinbasher

Please don't view this as belligerent moan......however, I sent two completed subscriptions off to CADAC (Corwen and District Angling Club) at the start of April for renewed membership for me and my father. It is now the start of May and im yet to hear anything back. I do not want to be accused of poaching so haven't ventured on the river to date, however it is rather upsetting that i pass the river every day and i see trout rising and i can't yet fish for them as nobody has bothered to send out membership cards and parking permits.

I have emailed the club again, having first attempted the renewal process before Christmas by email and was ignored. I hope its just an admin error as I love fishing the Welsh Dee, have sent my completed renewal forms off along with cheques (these haven't been cashed yet).

Really would appreciate a senior club member to detail whether i can start fishing or need to wait for someone to get around to viewing my renewal applications and approving them.
Ive already missed far too many evenings on the river.
Can anyone please assist?

Last edited: