Welsh Rivers end of September?

john10001

I may be able to get away for small break at the end of September to Shropshire area with family.

Just wondering what rivers in Wales either West, South West or North West of there would offer good proposition of hooking into Sewin or Salmon round that time? I'm generally thinking the latter because I'm not sure whether the best will be past for the former?

Not sure exactly where I may be based in Shropshire but I guess it will be a good hour or two driver to get where I'll be fishing from there. I think from Shrewsbury it's about 1½ hours to either Rhyader or Builith Wells and about 1 hour to Corwen and just 30 odd mins to Welshpool.

Any recommendations for the Dee, Clwyd, Severn, Wye? Thinking Conwy would be a bit of a stretch. Any other to consider?

Unfortunately missed out of a day on the Wye back in May, it was absolutely tipping it down and just didn't fancy it.

Cheers,

John

sewinbasher

John,

Shrewsbury is not a bad starting point. In September most of the Welsh rivers are just starting to see the main salmon run (depending on rainfall) and although there are still sea trout coming in the main run is over by then.

Your best bet is probably the Dee and you can get tickets at several points on the river from Llangollen through Corwen and up to Bala. There is a good chance of a fish but you'd probably need a double hander. Llangollen is about 30 minutes up the A5 from Shrewsbury then another 15 for Corwen and another 15 for Bala.

The Conwy will be good too and the best place for a ticket would be Betws y Coed about 60 minutes up the A5 from Shrewsbury, the Gwydyr Hotel has the best water and tickets are around £35. Again on most of the water below Betws a double hander would be best but above the town you can get away with a single hander.

The Clwyd and Elwy also see their main run of salmon around that time and offer small stream fishing with a very good chance of a fish but it's all single hander stuff. Tickets from Foxons in St. Asaph at about £15, or PM me and I'll get you one for the Denbigh & CAC water for £6.50.

In the South West the Teifi, Towy and the other rivers see their best salmon fishing start in September but it's quite a long way from anywhere in Shropshire. The Dyfi is another option but the main fishing is in the hands of one club and tickets are scarce and expensive. The Severn is close but salmon thinner on the ground than in the other rivers.

Last edited:

Latest posts