Welsh Water

wynne

The biggest frustration amongst Welsh anglers at the moment is the reluctance of WW to raise restrictions on fishing in club waters owned by them.
Lots of assurances that the matter will be looked at, but nothing happening, despite their counterparts across the border having raised restrictions.
Coupled with a 5 mile travel limit, you have a lot of really frustrated fishermen out there.

springwell

Very true.

MTAA waters are open and you can fish some of the Wye and Usk passport beats apparently, but only by ringing them up, probably to prove you are local.

salmo mike

The biggest frustration amongst Welsh anglers at the moment is the reluctance of WW to raise restrictions on fishing in club waters owned by them.
Lots of assurances that the matter will be looked at, but nothing happening, despite their counterparts across the border having raised restrictions.
Coupled with a 5 mile travel limit, you have a lot of really frustrated fishermen out there.
Crazy.Can walk round local reservoir but can't fish it.C'mon WW,pull your finger out

gwyndavies

Hi Rob
Clywedog although its Wales is controlled by Severn Trent and not controlled by Dwr Cymru, I believe it opened on June 1st, I can only echo the frustration in the earlier posts regarding the ludicrous situation at Ynysyfro, we are unable to resume fishing but although its enclosed is constantly being used for walking, picnics, sunbathing, swimming, partying, drug taking and of course poaching, all of which are illegal!!!!!!
The only thing that doesn't happen is fishing by the lease holders and I guess it's the same at all of the reservoirs controlled by Dwr Cymru.
Gwyn

Rob Edmunds

I feel your pain that's absolute madness....

I'm due to fish Brenig for 5 days end of July and in August

Then again end in September for the Scierra Pairs final......hopefully it will be up and running by then

Think I will just keep all the boat and accommodation bookings for now...

sewinbasher

I'm not distracting from the point, my own club is waiting for Dŵr Cymru to reopen a leased water, but quoting a 5 mile limit is not accurate. The First Minister went to great lengths last week to make it clear that there was no 5 mile RULE in Wales, it was just GUIDANCE. He went on to say that he fully accepted that 5 miles in Cardiff was totally different to 5 miles in mid-Wales. The actual requirement is to "stay local" using the guidance to help determine what that may be.

gwyndavies

Just to support the utter confusion and frustration that welsh anglers are currently experiencing I've pasted the latest (updated 1st June) Staying Local guidelines from the Welsh Government's website below:-

Stay local - don’t travel more than 5 miles to visit people or to exercise. You can only travel outside your local area for work (if you can’t work from home), shopping or caring for a vulnerable

Reading this it's very clear that the 5 miles rule is not as flexible as the First Minister has indicated previously and probably why Dwr Cymru are not allowing Angling and other leisure activities to resume on their reservoirs.

sewinbasher

Just to support the utter confusion and frustration that welsh anglers are currently experiencing I've pasted the latest (updated 1st June) Staying Local guidelines from the Welsh Government's website below:-

Stay local - don’t travel more than 5 miles to visit people or to exercise. You can only travel outside your local area for work (if you can’t work from home), shopping or caring for a vulnerable

Reading this it's very clear that the 5 miles rule is not as flexible as the First Minister has indicated previously and probably why Dwr Cymru are not allowing Angling and other leisure activities to resume on their reservoirs.
The First Minister's statement at which he made it very clear in reply to a question from the Leader of Opposition (possibly because of confusion) that there was no rule about 5 miles but that it was only guidance was made subsequent to 1st June, I think on 3rd June. His words were something like "The Leader of the Opposition will know that there is no 5 mile rule as rules come from regulations and there is no regulation that includes a 5 mile rule. The advice is to stay local and the 5 miles is guidance as to what this means and I fully accept that 5 miles in Cardiff is very different to 5 miles in mid-Wales"

This is a link to the Welsh Gov advice issued on 2nd June which makes no mention of 5 miles, just stay local.

The NW Police have been told that the rules are so vague that each case is a judgement call. I don't believe that Dŵr Cymru are acting as the police, we have a member who can walk 200 metres to the water that we lease from them. I can see why they might not want to reopen Brenig or Llandegfedd but there's no reason not to open privately leased waters.

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

I always fish Brenig end of July for 5 days, this year I was going to do the Ty Nant ( or whatever its called now😉) with my wife and son, as its good experience for them...different waters, different methods, the fish even takes dry differently in Wales.

Unfortunately it's been cancelled.....But we still want to come and fish, regardless ( if allowed)......it's easily the best opportunity I have for consistant dry fly sport... .up here it's mostly boobies pulled or the washing line.....

Yes you do get opportunities to fish dries on the Midlands Waters but they are few and far .....unless you want to fish the first and last hour of light....

Anyway...hopefully 😉🐟🐟🐟🐟

iainmortimer

I can't see how the approach being taken to Covid restrictions by the Welsh authorities has any bearing on the science of the issue at all!

ejw

In Chester on Monday, with lots of Welsh shoppers ? A question was asked of the police (I listened in) Why are there Welsh people here, the border is closed ? The answer was, the border is only closed going into Wales, people from Wales are welcome in Chester ! Madness !!!

sewinbasher

The Welsh Government have announced a lifting of the "stay local" on 6th July which would then allow English anglers to travel and fish in Wales.

McBad

The Welsh Government have announced a lifting of the "stay local" on 6th July which would then allow English anglers to travel and fish in Wales.
When i listened to Mark Drakeford at lunchtime that sounded like a maybe, possibly or even probably. But certainly not a definitely.

Depends on what the 'r number' does, but we live in hope.

sewinbasher

When i listened to Mark Drakeford at lunchtime that sounded like a maybe, possibly or even probably. But certainly not a definitely.

Depends on what the 'r number' does, but we live in hope.
The key moment was his answer to a specific question (around 13:06) about cross border travel from England, he said "the minute we lift the stay local restrictions then travel across Wales will not be restricted for people who live in Wales and it will not be restricted for people who visit Wales either" So, unless there is a set back that prevents the lifting of "stay local" on 6th July, unlimited travel within Wales will start on 6th July....definitely.