Wet and dry wings. How do I ?

Oldbones

How do I measure the wing material to fit the fly, I see pro tiers, just pluck some from a quill, but that's not working for me, what can I do?

Wee Jimmy

I’m pretty sure there will be a formula somewhere for the perfect proportioned wings I.e too long/too short...too wide /too thin etc. It’s fine for a rule of thumb guide but that’s all it is.The great thing about tying your own flies is being able to tie them the way you want them to look...;) As for tearing off the slips,I usually end up trashing half the quill when I try it so I prefer to snip them off with scissors.

Oldbones

2/3 of the gape width for standard wets ad drys, 1/2 the gape if you want it to loo streamlined.

Steve
So would that be, if I am tying assize 14, I would use a size 16 hook to get it near enough ?
Dont see to many wet flies with wings now, mostely nymphs etc, jut want to tie a few wets and up wing dries.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
pretty much, I just hold the feather up to the hook and stick a dubbing needle though at the right width. Folded wings are only slightly more complicated, you just need to decide if its 1, 2 or 3 folds before you start.

Incidentally I also normally snip the slips off with scissors.

Steve

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Have a look at the fly on your image, I'd class that as streamlined and its about half the gape.

Have a look at this one

I'd say thats about normal and its 2/3rds ish the gape, maybe 3/4

fishing hobo

Watch Davie McPhail's videos. It gives you an idea how to measure the length. Can't remember if he specifically mentions width but if you look at well balanced flies you will eventually get the idea (see above March Brown wet fly) . I have untied the rolled wings I did not like the balance of this AM having tied the flies a couple of weeks ago (1st time trying), bit hairy mind as you have to cut the head carefully and unravel the thread, re-tie the thread securing the old thread and re-lashing the wing down. Happier now.

wjg

I use a hook to separate the slips and then snip them off. Your tying a 14. Put a 16 of the same style in your hemostats and use the gape to measure width and the point to physically separate identical sized slips. Easier than counting barbs to make even pairs.