WF Fly Line

Cap'n Fishy

I remember wondering if that 4cast you got from Matt was one of those by that dodgy geezer who was jailed or heavily fined, I can’t recall the details...?
If it was a dodgy one, then I wish I could buy another at £20! 😜

Also, I'm fairly sure it was the real Matt Hayes I bought from - though it might have been the dodgy geezer pretending to be him???

Col

Wee Jimmy

If it was a dodgy one, then I wish I could buy another at £20! 😜

Also, I'm fairly sure it was the real Matt Hayes I bought from - though it might have been the dodgy geezer pretending to be him???

Col
Not questioning it Col ,only suggesting a possible reason for why it was so cheap in the first place..😉

JohnH

My first choice for a premium line would be a peach Cortland 444. At a slightly Iower price I find the bog standard Barrio Mallard floaters very good, and at his budget the OP could buy two so that he can be ready and set up with widely differing leader rigs. Or maybe one WF line, and a DT line one size lighter for delicate dry fly work.

pedros

Generally straight is good enough I'd suggest, don't get over obsessed with perfectly straight. When fishing dry fly a little 'slack' is your friend as it prevents unnatural drag setting in too early. If buzzer fishing with a breeze, the breeze will straighten your line out as should a slow retrieve. I am a massive Snowbee XS fan, and everyone I have used gets memory in it once on reel which I never completely eliminate. For sure you don't want a line that represents a slinky...

Paul_B

I bought a 444 a few years ago and it was also a bit coily so I took it back and they said it was ok, I emailed USA and explained and they said send it back and they would check it.
They sent a new one back plus some goodies to cover postage and apologised about the faulty one.

I've never been back to the shop that sold it to me since,

Regarding Maxcast being too cheep, Ill sell you a very decent line for £60 and rub the Maxcast name off it ;)
You might have to wait a bit

JCP

I found the lump spooling the line. It had me beat as I assumed it was the load point, but it wasn't for me! I'm sure I was loaded a bit before it.
Barrio, I was disappointed with. Rough coating and sat in the surface rather than on it, I'm fastidious in line cleaning and even this didn't help. 2 mates Pete Moir and Sam Davies both hit exactly the same results, the lines went in the circle file!
Another good one I scored after reading on here was a Vision Vibe. We're sold on the bay for £20, but usually £70. Sold as a #5/6 but is a 5.5. An excellent line, but you'll pay the £70 now I believe.
I have been sorely tempted by a 4 cast for some time. I may well pay the asking price for one 🤔. I have literally never heard a negative review.
Bought a 5/6 Vibe and it does cast and fish well.It also sings a merry tune once tuned in.Something to do with the molecular structure of the line if recent post on this very subject is anything to go by.It is more pronounced than an SA sharkskin.The common denominator is the ''singing'' rods are both Loomis ?? and I 'aint selling them.Coating on the Vibe did seem quite soft in comparison to other lines but as you say a bargain at the price they were offered at.

JP

ejw

Tried most of the makes over the years and do begrudge paying £70+ for any line. Have had 6 lines from Maxcatch over the past two+ years, all including a "Gold" are still going well. The "basic" line at under £4 is unbelievable, ATFM rating is spot on and lays straight from the 1st cast (or mine have).
It must be worth a trial at their prices. For me it has been a no brainer - For the cost of a £70 premium line, I can have 2 rods, 2 disc drag reels, 2 lines and change from Maxcatch ! Just takes a while to get here (longest I have had to wait is 3 weeks). Just depends if you "NEED" a brand name ?

Cap'n Fishy

The last Cortland floater I had (many years ago now) had a very glossy finish, and we were sure the flash coming from it was putting the fish off. Put me off Cortland floaters.

Back in 2005, a group of us had a trip to North Uist. We homed-in on a loch that was open to the sea at the south end and was consequently quite brackish. The brackish water was getting a phenomenal buzzer hatch and all the brownies in the loch were concentrated in the area. We were careful to wash our flies and other tackle back at the digs each day to avoid rust. After about 3 days of fishing this loch, a couple of us had a red-raw groove on our stripping finger. The other 2 guys didn't have it. It took us a while to work out what this was down to...

The two guys with the sore finger had fly lines with an egg-shell finish, while the 2 guys without it had lines with a gloss finish. The egg-shell finish was combining with the salt in the water to create an abrasive and saw away at the affected fingers over the many hours of fishing.

True story! 😜

Cap'n Fishy

Tried most of the makes over the years and do begrudge paying £70+ for any line. Have had 6 lines from Maxcatch over the past two+ years, all including a "Gold" are still going well. The "basic" line at under £4 is unbelievable, ATFM rating is spot on and lays straight from the 1st cast (or mine have).
It must be worth a trial at their prices. For me it has been a no brainer - For the cost of a £70 premium line, I can have 2 rods, 2 disc drag reels, 2 lines and change from Maxcatch ! Just takes a while to get here (longest I have had to wait is 3 weeks). Just depends if you "NEED" a brand name ?
Back in the 90s, a mate of mine had a tackle shop. He told me that a leading tackle company rep confessed to him that there wasn't a fly line that cost more than £2 to manufacture. Everything after that was marketing.

Scotty Mitchell

Bought a 5/6 Vibe and it does cast and fish well.It also sings a merry tune once tuned in.Something to do with the molecular structure of the line if recent post on this very subject is anything to go by.It is more pronounced than an SA sharkskin.The common denominator is the ''singing'' rods are both Loomis ?? and I 'aint selling them.Coating on the Vibe did seem quite soft in comparison to other lines but as you say a bargain at the price they were offered at.

JP
The coating is very strange, it's a wierd feeling line, almost feels slimy.
Would never part with £70 for one though they are not that good.

shropshire_lad

My Barrio WF6F is still as supple and "floaty" as it was 2 seasons ago. I had a maxcatch gold which was good but only lasted 1 season, however, it was insanely cheap so...
Wasn't impressed with the John Norris line I had. It was stiff and needed stretching before each use.
Interesting thread. This is not a criticism but it's always the case on Forums that you may end up more confused with the contradictory answers you get.

Maxcatch certainly sound worth checking out.

I recently bought a No 5 outfit off John Norris - rod, reel and line. The line was a John Norris brand and I did not even bother trying it - it felt stiff from the off. I was interested in Barrio and bought a GT90 replacement which feels beautifully supple by comparison. Not sure how well it floats as I have not had a chance to try it yet.

rabmax

I like barrio mallard dt.Underlined by one line weight for river work.Have it cut in half so two lines now.
I

Mies

JP
Same here. My GLX does the same. Doesn't appear to matter what line I put through it. Gets a bit fekkin annoying after a while though.

Rob Edmunds

The Airflo Superflo is a great range of lines, they dont coil at all.....we have 6 Superflo floaters and 18 Superflo tips in our household and not one coils, they are all excellent

Ok the Airflo Floaters of old were terrible, they sank, coiled etc and their marketing was questionable.....but in the last 4 or 5 years they have been supurb.

As for the sinking line range, they set the standard by which all other sinkers are judged......no one else is even close and to say otherwise frankly is crazy.

You obviously haven't used an Airflo Floater for a long while and base your comments on the lines of old

GEK79

My first choice for a premium line would be a peach Cortland 444. At a slightly Iower price I find the bog standard Barrio Mallard floaters very good, and at his budget the OP could buy two so that he can be ready and set up with widely differing leader rigs. Or maybe one WF line, and a DT line one size lighter for delicate dry fly work.
I'd agree with that I have a barrio gt and a mallard.. Excellent well priced lines... 👌👌

fishing hobo

The Airflo Superflo is a great range of lines, they dont coil at all.....we have 6 Superflo floaters and 18 Superflo tips in our household and not one coils, they are all excellent

Ok the Airflo Floaters of old were terrible, they sank, coiled etc and their marketing was questionable.....but in the last 4 or 5 years they have been supurb.

As for the sinking line range, they set the standard by which all other sinkers are judged......no one else is even close and to say otherwise frankly is crazy.

You obviously haven't used an Airflo Floater for a long while and base your comments on the lines of old
I indeed have an airflo superflo Rob. I like the line, nice to cast but infuriating with the coils. The other day the coil knotted when I had srripped the line in to bring a blue trout in it made a dash and when I let the line out the knot jammed in my stripping guide and my 4lb tippet snapped. Until then I had the fish under control.

PaulD

It's peculiar that some people who have the same line have different experiences with 'coiling' . . . is there the possibility that the 'issues' lie with the way the line was spooled onto the reel?

GEK79

It's peculiar that some people who have the same line have different experiences with 'coiling' . . . is there the possibility that the 'issues' lie with the way the line was spooled onto the reel?
Possibly.. I took the barrio of the spool and wound it on absolute disaster.. Wound back onto spill then used a pencil spool two boxes and a daughter to keep tension.. Not a bother since..