WF Fly Line

fishing hobo

It's peculiar that some people who have the same line have different experiences with 'coiling' . . . is there the possibility that the 'issues' lie with the way the line was spooled onto the reel?
No. Spooled onto reel in-line. I use a stick on the hole of spool which comes with fly line and let it roll on my feet as I wind onto reel.

Rob Edmunds

As I wasn't there and dont know exactly what happened it's difficult to comment.

But any line can get wrapped around the rod rings and tangle or knot up.....it happens in fishing, and it causes losses.....did you spool it on a small arbour reel for instance ?

If it happens multiple times then I accept your point, to a degree but it may be "operator error" ( sorry no offence meant) but as a one off I think you're being harsh.

As with everything I try and be honest, I don't reccomend cr@p products as this will reflect on me personally....and I like to think my opinions are at the very least reasonable...and on the whole pretty well informed based on my experience and ability.

6 to 8 years ago and earlier Airflo floaters were utter cr@p.......now they are as good as most on the market, the only better "Floaters" I would say are Rio Gold and Scientic Anglers SPX and they are much more expensive.

Airflo sinkers are without doubt the best on the market......every competition angler I know carries the Airflo range of sinkers.

gg76

I bought a couple of guideline 4 cast about 8 years ago from I think frankie mcphillips. £35 quid each delivered and they were fantastic lines that lasted a few seasons.
i was told Rio started making/selling the 4 casts a few years back hence the price hitch. I managed to buy 1 for around £60 and it wasn’t a patch on the old lines. It felt pretty wiry and didn’t last long!

thetrouttickler

I paid something like £60 or £70 for a #3WF Rio line in 2011. It has given me TEN years and only now am I thinking, ok, it really needs to be replaced. It has seen a lot of fishing, and I should add I am lazy. It has never been cleaned and it has never needed to be dressed with mucilin. £7 a year is amazing value. I will not hesitate in buying another Rio.

JCP

Same here. My GLX does the same. Doesn't appear to matter what line I put through it. Gets a bit fekkin annoying after a while though.
Have three Loomis GLX.Two Two piece in 9ft 5 and 10ft 7wt and a Streamdance GLX HLS 10ft 5wt.
SA Sharkskin sings on 7wt and Vision Vibe on the streamdance.Funny thing on the Streamdance with new line was silent for a good while.Singing came later in the day.I thought might be something in the water.None of these rods are noisy with other lines I use ??Rio,Snowbee,Airflo.

JP

Paul_B

I like the Wychwood Connect Feather Down Floater - nice colour , floats well and no memory.
For about £25/£30 it's good value too.
I was given a wychwood truefly sla reel set some years ago, I've never used it as its naff, however during lockdown I took the line off one of the spools and tried it on my usual reel and once we could get out again I gave it a go and it was almost straight, I gave it a pull on my usual pulling post and it lay straight as a die :)

Mies

Have three Loomis GLX.Two Two piece in 9ft 5 and 10ft 7wt and a Streamdance GLX HLS 10ft 5wt.
SA Sharkskin sings on 7wt and Vision Vibe on the streamdance.Funny thing on the Streamdance with new line was silent for a good while.Singing came later in the day.I thought might be something in the water.None of these rods are noisy with other lines I use ??Rio,Snowbee,Airflo.

JP
My GLX is also a 10' 7wt two piece. It's really only used for sea trout and my favourite line, an SA Wet Cel is, unfortunately, the worst offender.
Any recommendations for an Airflo slow inter?
Thanks for that JP (y)

GEK79

I was given a wychwood truefly sla reel set some years ago, I've never used it as its naff, however during lockdown I took the line off one of the spools and tried it on my usual reel and once we could get out again I gave it a go and it was almost straight, I gave it a pull on my usual pulling post and it lay straight as a die :)
I had been looking at the SLA2 set with the spools you'd recommend avoiding..?

JCP

My GLX is also a 10' 7wt two piece. It's really only used for sea trout and my favourite line, an SA Wet Cel is, unfortunately, the worst offender.
Any recommendations for an Airflo slow inter?
Thanks for that JP (y)
Di3/Slow Glass.Everything changes so fast.I am still using Airflo lines I have had for a while.Suggest one with hang markers as really useful.

JP

pvthubbard

Airflo superflo floaters get the thumbs up from me, thin diameter, nice and straight no coils, picked up 1 from Garry Evans last week. Airflo have been bought out by the company the owns Ross and Abel reels so expect the prices to rocket soon.

Paul_B

I had been looking at the SLA2 set with the spools you'd recommend avoiding..?
Mine just says SLA so must be an early model, they have probably improved them for the mark 2, I find it big and cumbersome compered to my Pflueger Trion reels,
but its just my opinion :)

GEK79

A
Mine just says SLA so must be an early model, they have probably improved them for the mark 2, I find it big and cumbersome compered to my Pflueger Trion reels,
but its just my opinion :)
Appreciated mate.. 👍

webblade

I’m too cheap these days to pay 70 quid for a line ...:)
Been using Gt 90s for a while now,I don’t mind them but I preferred the darker olive version he made 5/6 years ago to the more yellow coloured current model.Im trying out a Hardy Marksman at the moment and it’s quite nice.Aircel and Maxcatch real gold waiting in the wings.

The cortland 444s are lovely lines but I always found the coating on them a bit tacky and prone to dragging across my index finger,...maybe just me?
Definitely not just you because I had to get rid of my 444 for that very reason.

Wee Jimmy

Definitely not just you because I had to get rid of my 444 for that very reason.
Good to know I’m not the only with flyline OCD....😉
I can’t have anything distracting me or interfering with things...
It’s pretty sad I know....🥴

fishing hobo

As I wasn't there and dont know exactly what happened it's difficult to comment.

But any line can get wrapped around the rod rings and tangle or knot up.....it happens in fishing, and it causes losses.....did you spool it on a small arbour reel for instance ?

If it happens multiple times then I accept your point, to a degree but it may be "operator error" ( sorry no offence meant) but as a one off I think you're being harsh.

As with everything I try and be honest, I don't reccomend cr@p products as this will reflect on me personally....and I like to think my opinions are at the very least reasonable...and on the whole pretty well informed based on my experience and ability.

6 to 8 years ago and earlier Airflo floaters were utter cr@p.......now they are as good as most on the market, the only better "Floaters" I would say are Rio Gold and Scientic Anglers SPX and they are much more expensive.

Airflo sinkers are without doubt the best on the market......every competition angler I know carries the Airflo range of sinkers.
I have airflo sinkers and inters w/o issues. Superflo was fine first few outings but started curling. I also have bass and muskie floater from airflo w/o issues. Never have issues with gt125 or gt90, might be slightly wiggly at outset but soon straightens out.

Elwyman

Rio Gold is expensive but casts well and is durable, Snowbee XS is probably the nicest line to cast and it lies very straight.

Elwyman

Cortland 444....must admit I've never got on with these lines...seem underweight and don't shoot well?

Galls3663

I would normally say Cortland 444 peach classic but my last one had fairly bad memory in the last 15 ft. No amount of stretching would remove it. I'm gonna give a cheapo maxcatch gold line a try at £12 from China. Not arrived yet but heard great things about them.
I'm glad someone else has had the same issue with the cortland 444. I was recommended it by a club member and travelled down to the local angling shop to pick it up. Out of the box, spooled correctly I found it to be horrendously bad for memory, after being advised by shop to steep in the usual hot soapy water and give it a stretch ot still remained as bad.

Attachments

pedros

I'm glad someone else has had the same issue with the cortland 444. I was recommended it by a club member and travelled down to the local angling shop to pick it up. Out of the box, spooled correctly I found it to be horrendously bad for memory, after being advised by shop to steep in the usual hot soapy water and give it a stretch ot still remained as bad.
Why is the amount of memory shown in the pic a problem?