WF Fly Line

Galls3663

Fishing smal dries on a floating line you generally want to have the line as straight as you can, if a fish takes me off the top and I strike, by the time the leader, and the fly line is tight, 90% of the time will result in a missed opportunity. apart from that it produces shadow sub surface, which should be minimised as much as possible. I think more than anything else though is the fact that it shouldn't happen, a line is made to sit straight, yes 0 memory is rare but I found this to be excessive and effected the way I fish.

pedros

As previously quoted I think we get a little too obsessive with 'dead straight' A little slack when fishing dries is your friend - yes you do get micro drag on still waters too especially with small dries that do not stick in the surface as do larger dries.
Another area that a little slack helps me on dries is enabling a snake roll style pick off when recasting - less disturbance as the roll picks up the slack and lifts before pulling dry and leader through the fishing area.
I personally wouldn't get too hung up about the amount of memory in your picture.

i_fish

Thankyou for all the replies. It's interesting that quite a few of you comment about lines having too much memory. That's the problem I've been having with 2 x new lines I've recently purchased, they being a Greys Platinum and an Airflo Superflo. Both lines claim to have 'almost zero memory' when in fact they have kinks of almost 90 degree's on the front end sections. Both lines loaded onto the reel spool to spool. Impossible to keep in touch with the flies when buzzer fishing and too much surface disturbance when dry fly fishing on still water. As for stretching, both claim to be non stretch lines so point no in trying to straighten by stretching.
Will try one of the Maxcatch Gold lines. I can't lose anything at the prices replies say they're available for.
Once again, thankyou for the replies and information.

Scotty Mitchell

Fishing smal dries on a floating line you generally want to have the line as straight as you can, if a fish takes me off the top and I strike, by the time the leader, and the fly line is tight, 90% of the time will result in a missed opportunity. apart from that it produces shadow sub surface, which should be minimised as much as possible. I think more than anything else though is the fact that it shouldn't happen, a line is made to sit straight, yes 0 memory is rare but I found this to be excessive and effected the way I fish.

The line will produce the same amount of shadow regardless of being straight or otherwise. Its diameter or length do not increase therefore neither does the shadow.

i_fish

For those who say we may be too obsessive about straight lines. Would you be willing to accept a new £70 line that sits like this on the water after being used twice, part of the coils actually sitting under water ? And yes, the line was loaded onto the reel spool to spool. Third line I've had with similar problems !
For me, unacceptable, especially in light of what the manufacturer claims, 'almost zero memory'.

Attachments

• Line On The Water.1.jpg
    Line On The Water.1.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 23

fishing hobo

Airflo superflo floaters get the thumbs up from me, thin diameter, nice and straight no coils, picked up 1 from Garry Evans last week. Airflo have been bought out by the company the owns Ross and Abel reels so expect the prices to rocket soon.
It is straight when new. Wait after a number of months.

Maruta

It is straight when new. Wait after a number of months.
How does this happen? My bin end Norris floater didn't coil like in the photo above. It needed a stretch prior to use but was fine for a session until the tip refused to float by season's end.

Scotty Mitchell

For those who say we may be too obsessive about straight lines. Would you be willing to accept a new £70 line that sits like this on the water after being used twice, part of the coils actually sitting under water ? And yes, the line was loaded onto the reel spool to spool. Third line I've had with similar problems !
For me, unacceptable, especially in light of what the manufacturer claims, 'almost zero memory'.

That's fucked.

PaulD

I am now in year 52 of my fly fishing life. During that time I've owned a lot of lines from the McHardy's Mill Ends to Phoenix Silk, with mostly everything in between and I must have had lines from the great majority of sources / brands. I have never had a line which has behaved like the line illustrated above, I have never felt or required the need to 'stretch' a line. Am I just 'lucky'?

fishing hobo

I am now in year 52 of my fly fishing life. During that time I've owned a lot of lines from the McHardy's Mill Ends to Phoenix Silk, with mostly everything in between and I must have had lines from the great majority of sources / brands. I have never had a line which has behaved like the line illustrated above, I have never felt or required the need to 'stretch' a line. Am I just 'lucky'?
How did you look after your lines Paul?

PaulD

How did you look after your lines Paul?

Nothing special! I make sure that lines are spooled correctly, wound on the spool evenly with light pressure. Because of the amount of casting practice and instruction I do I like to keep my lines clean - sink of lukewarm water, one drop of detergent and a 'swish-around', dried on a soft cloth and then treated with Line Whizz. I keep lines on their spools in the off season (apart from the silk ones which I keep loosely coiled in shoe boxes), the spools are kept in the dark and at room temperature . . . - that's it.

lee71

The only line I've had that was as bad as the one in the pic was an Airflo floater but that was years ago.
As for stretching lines I don't bother anymore but at the fishery I use regular I screwed a barrel swivel to a bench under the backrest and in other places to trees, I just tackled up and hooked point fly onto swivel and let the full line out then wound in with line off the floor which gave enough weight to stretch as well as swivel taking some of the twist out of the line, I'ts better doing this before fishing as line is tight on your reel and if you pull the line off whilst fishing you can wind it back on loosely.

fishing hobo

Hmm, not much difference there then. Not sure why mine curls so much.
Nothing special! I make sure that lines are spooled correctly, wound on the spool evenly with light pressure. Because of the amount of casting practice and instruction I do I like to keep my lines clean - sink of lukewarm water, one drop of detergent and a 'swish-around', dried on a soft cloth and then treated with Line Whizz. I keep lines on their spools in the off season (apart from the silk ones which I keep loosely coiled in shoe boxes), the spools are kept in the dark and at room temperature . . . - that's it.

speytime

I've got lines I paid less than a tenner for that put that to shame, I would be returning that ASAP it's not fit for purpose, what brand of line is that?

Al

thetrouttickler

Lucky. I have just bought a Rio Gold and it is nothing like my last Rio line. The former lay straight and never needed a stretch. The new one has a coil to it and I have been stretching it like crazy. I did put it on spool to spool, but I have wondered if somebody played around with it in the shop.