Whaaat? How much?

pentlandflyman

It doesn't really matter if a rod costs you a fiver out a charity shop or £800 from farlows, if you enjoy using it and it feels right in your hand who cares what anyone else thinks. if i got handed a sage for free i would be over the moon, i would probably sell it though and buy a greys then live of donner kebabs for a month with the change...each to their own eh.

tangled

I was going to say I wouldn't swop with my £100 Greys GR50 for a Sage, but I would, I'd then sell the Sage, buy another GR50 and use the £800 spare change for a fishing holiday. Or something like that.

ROVER

Well I guess it is that you can buy a small internal combustion engine, gears, a metal blade & chain, electronics, an electric motor, gears, lithium battery, more electronics, a battery charger, various plastic moldings, screws, nuts, bolts, wiring etc for the same money as a bit of carbon cloth and glue, some bent wire for rings, thread, cork, a reel seat and some varnish...

Andy
And your point is?

dave b

Why is it that people who've worked hard and spent their hard earned cash on Sage, Hardy and other premium equipment just get on with it, yet others seem to gripe about it 🤔

Some bought Hardy Zeniths 4 yrs ago when Hardy sold them off for £250 -£275, ebay price today £250 - £275.

Not a lot more to be said really.

liphook

Search through the current and back catalogues of pretty much any manufacturer and you will find items you like/dislike to varying degrees. The better manufacturers have a higher number of your percieved 'peaches' in their crop but it is the fool that gives any 'brand' unquestioning loyalty. Most brands make nothing but specification sheets, marketing smoke, sales tricks and they hope big profits.

bobmiddlepoint

And your point is?
The point is bleedin obvious but I'll spell it out.
You don't get much for your money when you buy an expensive rod. In terms of raw materials/manufacture you don't get much for your £ with expensive rods compared to a lot of other products. On the other hand you can pay lots more than things are really worth for all sorts of other things from houses to handbags if you choose to.

This isn't the same as griping about anyone buying top end Sage or Hardy, that is their choice.

Andy

sean freeman

Why can’t people be happy with what they’ve got without slagging off people who like different things? I don’t judge people that use shakespeares, in fact I wouldn’t know if someone was holding one or not! So I don’t see why someone who buys a sage or similar should be branded as a snob or someone who has more money than sense.

It's like reverse snobbery.

BrownieBasher

Why can’t people be happy with what they’ve got without slagging off people who like different things? I don’t judge people that use shakespeares, in fact I wouldn’t know if someone was holding one or not! So I don’t see why someone who buys a sage or similar should be branded as a snob or someone who has more money than sense.

It's like reverse snobbery.
As with all things. why on Earth would anyone buy an Audi when Skoda are knocking out 90% the same thing for 50% of the cost? why would anyone buy a Rolls Royce when a hyundai will get you to the same place at the same time?? Most people would answer that it's for the same reason that dogs lick their balls, because they can. I would rather save up, get the latest Sintrix and treasure it, than whip a new greys off the shelf when needed.

ROVER

The point is bleedin obvious but I'll spell it out.
You don't get much for your money when you buy an expensive rod. In terms of raw materials/manufacture you don't get much for your £ with expensive rods compared to a lot of other products. On the other hand you can pay lots more than things are really worth for all sorts of other things from houses to handbags if you choose to.

This isn't the same as griping about anyone buying top end Sage or Hardy, that is their choice.

Andy
My point was more to do with the random comparison, like what the hell has the price of a tin of beans got to do with the cost of petrol!, or 'have you got any stamps, no, but ive got a short sleeved pair of socks that might fit you!' However, its a proven fact that something is worth how much someone is willing to pay for it. To take your example, a chainsaw isnt worth sh1t to me since I have no use for it and so wouldnt enjoy the warm cosy feeling of owning one, but I'd pay a reasonable amount for the pleasure of having a nice fishing rod so its worth a lot more to me.

Anyhow, off to bed for an early night for me, I've got a long day planned tomorrow removing an old tree stump with a hardy 3wt
:😉

Last edited:

Jason 70

Nice to see "rod envy" is alive and well in all corners of our sport. I do an awful lot of lure fishing and like Megabass gear, being from a JDM market they do make rods for a specific purpose. The downside is they can be a little pricy and you get stung on the import duty. Are they better than say Savage Gear and Gunki? Maybe or maybe not.

I've had rods made over the years from the various rod makers. I look at it like this, if all the bills are paid and everyone I love is looked after, then what I spend on fishing tackle is up to me if it makes me happy. I'm not one to pee all my money up the wall, though I do like a punt on the gee-gees.

bobmiddlepoint

My point was more to do with the random comparison, like what the hell has the price of a tin of beans got to do with the cost of petrol!, or 'have you got any stamps, no, but ive got a short sleeved pair of socks that might fit you!'
The point of the comparison (which wasn't mine!) was not as random as the ones you provide.
I think we can all agree that there is more cost in the raw materials and manufacture of a chainsaw and drill than there is in a fishing rod.

The comparison was about cost not worth or value which are subjective terms ;)

I don't care what folk pay for anything. I use cheap rods because I'm not rich but I don't begrudge anyone buying Sage or Hardy.

Andy

taffy1

Picked up a Stihl strimmer today in my local Toolstation, the bloody security guard nabbed me in the carpark!
Just researching the combined cost of a pro quality Husqvarna chainsaw and a Dewalt lithium drill and impact driver set. I can buy all of these for less than the price of one high-end Sage or Helios rod.
Just saying......

Slave labour & enjoyment.... what's your choice? Answers on a postcard please. ;)

arawa

It's raining; I'm bored :)
I wonder how many posters deriding those with Sage or Hardy etc rods bought their wives cubic zircona engagement rings instead of diamond?

Juneau

It's raining; I'm bored :)
I wonder how many posters deriding those with Sage or Hardy etc rods bought their wives cubic zircona engagement rings instead of diamond?
Judging by most of the replies on this and other previous threads on the same subject I would say the majority.