Whaaat? How much?

tangled

I wonder how many posters deriding those with Sage or Hardy etc rods bought their wives cubic zircona engagement rings instead of diamond?
As it happens.... :)

Not quite. I had a pair of diamond earrings made for a significant birthday for my wife. Two carrots (or carats, if you prefer). If you look up the price of diamonds you'll see that's several Sage rods, but they'd look a bit stupid dangling from her head so I went with the earrings.

In order to decide on the mountings I was shown a tray of Zirconian ones - I chose the ones costing £17. When they where finished I couldn't tell the difference and neither could anyone without a magnifying lens and a lot of training.

Zirconian and diamond are identical in form and function, so why buy diamond? Well the answer is complicated because there are women involved but with a rod all you're actually left with is a self-congratualory feeling and image signalling.

Last edited:

arawa

As it happens.... :)

Not quite. I had a pair of diamond earrings made for a significant birthday for my wife. Two carrots. If you look up the price of diamonds you'll see that's several Sage rods, but they'd look a bit stupid dangling from her head so I went with the earrings.

In order to decide on the mountings I was shown a tray of Zirconian ones - I chose the ones costing £17. When they where finished I couldn't tell the difference and neither could anyone without a magnifying lens and a lot of training.

Zirconian and diamond are identical in form and function, so why buy diamond? Well the answer is complicated because there are women involved but with a rod all you're actually left with is a self-congratualory feeling and image signalling.
You are pretty much reinforcing my point (if I had one). The worth of something to an individual is made up of several complex factors of which cost is only one.
My wife (I have many fishing rods but still feel the need of a wife, Andy) has a jewellery collection that would keep even Sage going for a while. Yet the most treasured item, worn always, is her engagement ring with diamonds that need a magnifying glass to view, and was bought 47 years ago for the princely sum of £25 - which was considerably more than we could afford at the time!
What is strange is that while she can never have too many earrings (although only wearing one pair at a time), she does not see why I require more than one fishing rod as I can "only use one at a time"?

tangled

So if our conclusion is that value is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, we can raise our glasses in agreement.

However, if you then go on to say that your £900 rod is actually better than my £150 rod I'm going to call bollox.

pentlandflyman

BMW!
No way.
Its the Rolls Royce.

regards
Bert
Nah, Winston or Thomas & Thomas would be the Rolls Royce and Bentley as they are pretty exclusive, their owners walk the manicured banks dressed in Harris tweed usually carrying a wicker creel and a hip flask full of the finest malt while your sage is now so popular it is defo the BMW, the owners want everyone else to know about it, the rod tube left with the name showing in their car and they are out speeding about the water in boats cutting up others drifts and then parking side on at the jetty, matching baseball cap as well...b******s.

Seriously though who really cares ? they don't make you a better fisherman or catch you more fish but if you want one buy it and enjoy using it. The thing that asks a question though is if these rods are all so good why are so many as new, grass cast, used once etc constantly up for sale ? i would say it is because most are lifeless pokers and require a good level of ability to get the best out them and the buyers instantly regret it because they cannot use them. So don't buy a rod purely because of the brand or price tag buy the rod that you can use and will enjoy using and f***k what everyone else thinks.

lhomme

I must have been five or six when I stopped looking at other men's rods. I became too preoccupied with mine. I quickly learned ultimate pleasure can only be found when you learn how to use your own gear, not by gazing at what others do with theirs.:rolleyes:

P.S. Make of that what you want, it cuts both ways. Like a chainsaw.

Juneau

I would not say better but (for some owners) gives more pleasure.
Well, I wouldn't swap my Sage for a boat load of Shakey junk. I've tried one of the so-called wonderful Shakespeare wodgermacallits and once I'd slapped a candle load of wax on it to stop the sections parting I found it about as lively and responsive as a lump of 4x2. Purely my impression of course. Others obviously find it otherwise, or is it the fact that they are cheap as chips and they are prepared to live with the imperfections.

sean freeman

I also tried a Shakespeare and a few lower end Snowbee rods when I started but agree that the rods I have now are far superior. I think the £200-£400 is probably the sweet spot, vision do some cracking rods and one of my favourite rods is the cult from a few years back. I will say that my sage x is sublime on the river though, just makes catching fish effortless for me. A Stickman and Scott G series are of interest to me next.

I spend far too much on glass but for small stream fishing there is no better option, it’s robust, sensitive and some of the tapers are nice and quick for placing flies into pockets and between branches. C Barclay rods are my favourite and are stunning as well as functional.

parrot

Ah. Threads like these give the moaners something to do and allows them a rare opportunity to feel superior in a very limited way.

arawa

Nah, Winston or Thomas & Thomas would be the Rolls Royce and Bentley as they are pretty exclusive, their owners walk the manicured banks dressed in Harris tweed usually carrying a wicker creel and a hip flask full of the finest malt while your sage is now so popular it is defo the BMW,
That’s exactly why I bought a Tom Morgan (lovely rod BTW) but unfortunately I do all my fishing on remote lochs where there is no one to admire it :(
Now, where do I get a wicker creel?

Let’s live and let live.

Juneau

That’s exactly why I bought a Tom Morgan (lovely rod BTW) but unfortunately I do all my fishing on remote lochs where there is no one to admire it :(
Now, where do I get a wicker creel?

Let’s live and let live.
I've got a wicker creel I could sell you but I'm thinking I might well use it this year just for fun while I'm prowling the banks of the Test.

heathenwoods

I had the pleasure of meeting and speeding a little time with Tony Atkinson, the Oxford economist. If you don't know of him then it's probably because of his unassuming, humble nature but he was as influential as, say, his tutee Thomas Piketty. He wielded influence on a global stage and shaped the study of poverty. Absolutely at the top of his game. He drove a Ford Fiesta. The vast majority of his income went to charities. He didn't need to prove anything with the symbols of success that a visual, consumerist culture emphasises.

I think there is a tendency to compensate for meaningless but financially rewarding pursuits with trinkets that stand in for any real success. The shiny baubles that humans use in place of the donkey's carrot to keep the wagon rolling.

Perhaps I digress but someone mentioned Audis above. Perfectly functional. But I've seen so few happy people inside them regardless which of their 57 varities is being driven. And I see lots of them at roundabouts, at traffic lights. Salespeople, managers, invariably sucking the back of the extended index finger of their right hand with their elbow on the door at the base of the window in what seems to be an effort to look thoughtful but all possessed by a thousand yard stare that only those whom the void has stared back into can muster. Grim. Perhaps it's what makes the middle manager car club (Audis, BMW, Volvo, etc. Especially in white) such bad drivers. A poorly sublimated Freudian death drive. ("Another sales conference in Bedford? Please, God, no. Maybe if just cut this red light I can..... Damn, survived...") But at least they have an A8 and their neighbour's only got a 7. At least there's that.

Actually, yes, I do digress although it is inkeeping with the tone of the thread. Let's not kid ourselves that money makes anyone special. Any drug dealer near the top of that particular food chain will be there through low cunning, utter selfishness and a vicious disregard for others. Not especially pleasant characteristics. It doesn't change much across other business sectors. True, there will be the occasional innovator and to them, well done. But it doesn't make the rest particularly special.

So can we please give this ridiculous discussion a rest? Some rods are better than others; some of those cost more than others. But so what? Between careless farmers' runoff, climate change, invasive predatory species, canoeists, intensive salmon farming, and so on it seems a bit self-defeating to become divided over our tools.

And of course there will be a tiny minority who clearly want to be noticed and want what they're fishing with to be noticed - high or low end - and that's fine too. It's clearly part of what thet get out of the pastime. Just pat the poor old thing on the back and tell them mummy thinks they're special. I'm sure it's all they want.

sean freeman

That’s a very sweeping generalisation of people who like driving a nice car. I’d hate to drive a dull as dishwater fiesta.. unless it’s the ST variant.

I’m more shocked that people actually judge each other on material possessions. When I see someone driving a nice car such as a Porsche or Audi RS I think that’s a nice motor and not "There goes another middle manager contemplating the unstoppable marching of time that is slowly guiding us all towards an inevitable death"

It’s really not that deep though. Live and let live and enjoy what you’ve got. If you’re not happy with what you’ve got then work on it.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Nah, Winston or Thomas & Thomas would be the Rolls Royce and Bentley as they are pretty exclusive, their owners walk the manicured banks dressed in Harris tweed usually carrying a wicker creel and a hip flask full of the finest malt while your sage is now so popular it is defo the BMW, the owners want everyone else to know about it, the rod tube left with the name showing in their car and they are out speeding about the water in boats cutting up others drifts and then parking side on at the jetty, matching baseball cap as well...b******s.

Seriously though who really cares ? they don't make you a better fisherman or catch you more fish but if you want one buy it and enjoy using it. The thing that asks a question though is if these rods are all so good why are so many as new, grass cast, used once etc constantly up for sale ? i would say it is because most are lifeless pokers and require a good level of ability to get the best out them and the buyers instantly regret it because they cannot use them. So don't buy a rod purely because of the brand or price tag buy the rod that you can use and will enjoy using and f***k what everyone else thinks.
Will it surprise you then to know I have 7 of them!
From sp trout models right through to z axis salmon model.
But no, I dont have one of their caps!
Nor do I drive a beemer!
Regards
Bert

heathenwoods

That’s a very sweeping generalisation of people who like driving a nice car. I’d hate to drive a dull as dishwater fiesta.. unless it’s the ST variant.
I was mostly playing - I was just getting bored by some unnecessary flexing above and thought I'd trail a deep hook. Absolutely live and let live. But, well, I do tend to increase my situational awareness when I see an Audi on the road. Perhaps there are just more of them on the road but there does seem to be a higher proportion of them involved in accidents. Them and Nissan Micras but I suspect there will be a different reason for the latter.

Mrwayne

Not that there's anything wrong with choosing a Ford fiesta but if if you had the choice you'd be driving a range rover. Didn't this thread start with some ******** about De Walt power tools. Not sure if you noticed but de Walt, makita, milwaukee aren't exactly cheap either. Are you going to make a thread about how they should just use the cheapest crap from B and Q because it does more or less the same job?

I have Hardy rods, I also choose to buy dewalt and makita power tools. Experience has showed me they are actually just a bit better than the cheap stuff.

sean freeman

Milwaukee, Snap-On and Fluke are what I use for work. Never buy a cheap multimeter either, I’ve seen the results when testing high voltage systems.

ohanzee

Just researching the combined cost of a pro quality Husqvarna chainsaw and a Dewalt lithium drill and impact driver set. I can buy all of these for less than the price of one high-end Sage or Helios rod.
Just saying......
Not sure what 'pro quality' means but a Husqvarna G series 572, 20'' is about £850, some professionals would call that decent entry level.

Whichever way you slice it(see what I did there) chainsaws, level for level, cost more than fishing rods.

Last edited: