What’s closest to Lawrence Waldron LAW Vice.....

the osprey

Evening folks!

What would you guys say is the closest vice on the market to the Lawrence Waldron LAW vice?

Preferably a vice that has the same type of jaw design and is true rotary!

tonsils

This one looks pretty close!

http://shop.virtual-nymph.com/products/pro-vice/

Had a chance to play with one last year, it is well made but at close to £1200 I think I will stick to my J Vise.

Incidentally John Norris have a 20% sale on all fly tying items including some nice vices, Snowbee Waldron being one.
Discount Code is fly20

Cheers

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m r roid

+1 for Mike Johnson!
Mike makes some beautiful fly tying kit. I have one of his rotating tool caddies.

ausie12013

Do a search under jaws,you will find some on there,the best I have seen are the jaws Jim Mc did for my j vice.PM for more info

aldot

This was the last set I made. I no longer have the equipment to make any more. If you you a good machinist they could probably make you one.

20171226_205040.jpg

24987d1510501226-1-3-jpg.jpg

1 (14).jpg

Mrtrout

Evening folks!

What would you guys say is the closest vice on the market to the Lawrence Waldron LAW vice?

I had one of the last LAWs Lawrence built, it was a fine bit of kit, but I couldn’t bring myself to use it, and greed popped its ugly head up so I sold it. :D
However, like you I think the jaw design is the best out there so I commissioned a chap on this forum to make me one, Jim Mccloughin I think.
It took about a week or so, he contacted me every day with photos of the build from start to end.
Excellent service and I’m very pleased with it, there’s a thread on here somewhere under Law vices if you search, forum name was something like Jmmccl I think.
He built me a complete vice, but he will just supply jaws I think for a fraction of the cost of a Law vice.
PM me if you get stuck and I’ll send you some pics.
Steven.

jimmcl

I had one of the last LAWs Lawrence built, it was a fine bit of kit, but I couldn’t bring myself to use it, and greed popped its ugly head up so I sold it. :D
However, like you I think the jaw design is the best out there so I commissioned a chap on this forum to make me one, Jim Mccloughin I think.
It took about a week or so, he contacted me every day with photos of the build from start to end.
Excellent service and I’m very pleased with it, there’s a thread on here somewhere under Law vices if you search, forum name was something like Jmmccl I think.
He built me a complete vice, but he will just supply jaws I think for a fraction of the cost of a Law vice.
PM me if you get stuck and I’ll send you some pics.
Steven.

Good try.... It's Jim McLaughlin, and the user name is jimmcl.
Here's one I made earlierIMG_6456.jpg

jimmcl

:D memory isn’t what it was Jim sorry.
Couldn’t find you anywhere.
S.
Know the feeling!!! I’ve contrived to loose 2 penknives in 2 days. They’re in the house/garden somewhere, but bu*****d if I can find them!!

sunshine

Evening folks!

Spotted the SAN vice last year. Haven’t tied with it, but it looked well machined. At 600 Euro it is considerably cheaper than an original, if you can find one. Either way I wouldn’t trade in my J-vice.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Spider

Jim, how much do you charge for that vice. Fantastic looking!

Watersplatter

It's strange tho, I had an original Law which was everything I had dreamed about, but I couldn't get used to it tried every which way but didn't suit at all, sold it on to a member on here and bought a Jan Trvdek regal type which I have tied thousands of flies and is as good now as when I bought it ten years ago.

the osprey

Good try.... It's Jim McLaughlin, and the user name is jimmcl.
Here's one I made earlierView attachment 18486

Looks like the business Jim... how much do they cost?

Thanks for all the replies folks.... been trying to get on the past few days and keep getting pop up ads that redirects me away from this page.... seems to be gone now!

ROVER

Trade Member
Looking at all those LAW's has got the creative juices flowing:thumbs: - looks like I might have found my next project - it'll probably end up being just to look at though as I love my Lazzeri Orion

Graeme