What’s your favourite synthetic material?

A. Fluker

Most traditional tyers shy away from synthetics because they all like a sense of tradition – nothing wrong in that. But as more and more animals, birds etc enter the endangered lists tying with these materials become more politically difficult and impossible to obtain. Then of course we have the Edwin’s of this world that pop up from time to time that encourage the anti’s.
Even the humble “cluck cluck” becomes suddenly out of reach due to fashion and business. So we are left with synthetic materials to maybe look to the future. These have been creeping into fly tying circles over the last few decades and look as if will become even more popular to use over future years due to availability, price and evolvement.

What is your favourite synthetic material?

:)

weight_forward

Holo tinsel if I had to chose a colour, red.

Pseudo hackle from veniards is nice, add a turn to a dabbler or bumble for a bit of flash.

Spectra type dubbings are nice as well, a pinch added to a dubbed body adds some subtle flash.

Plastazote foam - boobies, suspender buzzers etc.

Fritz in all it's forms is the devils own creation - I just can't seem to tie a neat fly with it.

danielp

Either peacock spectra dubbing or polyprop yarn, probably the yarn as I use it on all my parachute flies and as wings on a few spents.

K.Cutt

Holo tinsel if I had to chose a colour, red.

Pseudo hackle from veniards is nice, add a turn to a dabbler or bumble for a bit of flash.

Spectra type dubbings are nice as well, a pinch added to a dubbed body adds some subtle flash.

Plastazote foam - boobies, suspender buzzers etc.

Fritz in all it's forms is the devils own creation - I just can't seem to tie a neat fly with it.
I think that is why I shy away from it as well plus its not as aesthetically pleasing on the eye which I know shouldn't be a problem as its the fish that matters.
I do however like the peacock dubbing and metallic dubbing when mixed with seals fur.

wobbly face

Krystal Flash. Been using it not just for a little flash on lures but for wings on black gnats both wet and dries and as a shuck on emergers. :thumbs: Pearl grey being used most.

A. Fluker

Thanks to all for the replies. It is good that a lot of experts in their chosen fields decided to post on this thread and a special thanks to you.

It may be that those who are daunted by the prospect of starting fly tying using traditional silks and fiddly bits like starling etc may be encouraged to take a different route into the "Dark Art" of fly tying by starting off using more readily available materials.

Who knows?

But thanks again.

:)

blithfield2

Loopy, I am surprised that you haven't disclosed your 'real' favourite - shiny black latex!

A. Fluker

Loopy, I am surprised that you haven't disclosed your 'real' favourite - shiny black latex!
It's kinda funny you said that because it wasn't long ago that my sister posed in a Cat Womans suit made of latex with a whip next to a Lotus Exige. She is only a couple of years younger than me and it scared the shlt out of the family at the time. But was all in the name of a good charitable cause. Have to dig the picture out some time!

:eek:mg:

Latest posts