What are the Lancsy Lads up to next? (Volume 2) 2018-

banjo298

Far to bright snd sunny, a strong breeze getting up, very low water levels on the river, all the sub surface stones covered in very very slippy green slime. So why am I about to hit the river for an hour or two?

buzzer1234

Shopping in town this morning plus breakfast at outdoor cafe, topped up on my reading books.

Went to Dingle at lunchtime for a few hours, landed seven biggest about 6 lb. & lost four more, I worked my way along the dam then stopped at one spot & had four fish in about 25 minutes plus lost one then it went quiet & I struggled to get takes, I’d obviously got into a pod of fish, fortunately they eventually came back so had a good afternoon. Most fish to egg fly on the point, most of the time I fished with just one fly.

wobbly face

Morning guys.
Grey with a cold breeze this morning.
Earl, it's surprising what some of these small fish will go for and that includes grayling. If you tried micro flies for them, you'd be lucky to hook any. :eek:
Rod and reel etc arrived from JN. Difficult to say if it's worth double the price, would need to fish with it (well that would be down to brother in law to do). Cork looks fine but handle still has the wrapper on, bottom 2 guides are lined. Nothing fancy but then, why would you want fancy with a fishing rod, same with the reel. Drag is smooth once the spool is turning, reel seems a bit on the small side for a 5/6 large arbour. It will have a #4 line but don't think it will take a lot backing (20lb).
Rod (8.6ft #4) and reel (unloaded) balances nicely (where I like the balance). Rod bag and tube are decent. (y)

Novice

My fishing plans for Thursday have to be put on hold. Dad is coming home and they are sending him home in a car with just the driver. My brother and me will have to go up to make sure he can get in his house safely as he cannot get up the two slopes to his house. When we visited him the other day the care home hinted he needs more care than he realises. No doubt I will be getting plenty of phone calls for this that and the other. Let the fun begin.

Joan goes for second jab this afternoon. Hope she is OK afterwards.

wobbly face

Don't like the JN line, bit brittle and a pain not being on a spool for loading to reel. Caused a lot of twisting so needed work to keep it straight when loading on reel, £15 line, I've had better £10 ones. Will have to see how it casts and fishes.

Novice

Don't like the JN line, bit brittle and a pain not being on a spool for loading to reel. Caused a lot of twisting so needed work to keep it straight when loading on reel, £15 line, I've had better £10 ones. Will have to see how it casts and fishes.
Not that good Ged tried them myself.

Novice

Well you cannot plan anything when relying on others. Dad is now not coming home until at least Tuesday. No care package in place, Just as well as he had another dizzy spell. Also we mentioned a while back he was getting no physio. The care team missed it. As a result he will get free care until he is fit enough to go home. However he is deemed fit to go home.

on a plus side I am now free to go fishing tomorrow.👍

chesscar

Thanks Ged for the run down on BiL new set up. I’ve read your posts with interest👍
im think between maxcatch nano...and the agility from JN???????🤔

noel

Baz send MrTrout a PM about the Maxcatch Extreme fly rod he uses 1 on a regular basis. The code Stock20 will give you 15 % discount. Steven fishes with us at our Blencarn meets .
Stock20 will bring it down to £19.65 and that gives you a rod and line .

chesscar

Thanks Ged, and noel. I’ve gone back to the maxcatch and now looking at the extreme combo...$81... but could try the code on it😁
I’ve just pm ed MrTrout...I’ll hang fire til he gets back to me👍 Thanks noel (I name dropped your name noel😁😉)

Last edited:

Novice

Just carved this and splashed some paint on it for tomorrow. 30mm at 3gm slow sink.
F0EC330F-4FEC-4269-930B-E417BDF1A486.jpeg

banjo298

Morning lads. In my quest to produce brand newly tied flies and boxes, I’ve now completed my nymph box. I must admit I could easily fill another. I think as I fish with the new boxes, the contents will be adjusted with experience.

Lures next. That’ll be easy to tie and quick to fill. I have loads of lures but I’ll be cutting the new box down about half a dozen I use regulary.

Now a question for you. Fishing on the bank I use an airflo fly vest. My problem is,that it has that many contents with all the pockets being full it’s become both very heavy and unwieldly restricting my movements and hurt ing my bad back. One of the reasons for new fly boxes as they will be lighter and smaller. Up here I’m now doing a lot more boat fishing where wearing a life vest has made wearing my fly vest impossible. I’m fed up of switching all my gear from the vest to a bag every time I have a boat trip. With tying new flies I did consider having a totally fully stocked boat bag ready to go as well as my vest. I’ve decided to have if possible just one fully stocked ready to go bag that I can use on the bank and in a boat. It’ll have to be big enough to hold my fishing gear, flask and lunch and possibly waterproofs. It can be put on the floor of the boat and carried for bank fishing and put on the ground whilst I fish thus saving my bad back.

Any suggestion or ideas as to what I could get that won’t break the bank?