What are the Lancsy Lads up to next? (Volume 2) 2018-

wobbly face

How long ago did you buy them? My waistcoat and line are both from around 2008 so perhaps quality control has slipped in more recent years? The line has been regularly cleaned and treated (when used - it spent about 10 years unused in a cupboard too) with the line preserver that came with it though, so maybe that's helped.

The only thing I've bought from them recently (this year) was a folding telescopic landing net. I wasn't happy with the fairly wide mesh of the net bag (which seemed to snag on everything including a door handle in the house when I walked past it!) and also thought it was too deep, so I swapped the net bag for one with small mesh. Other than that, it seems well-made, with a metal net locking and hinge system (most are plastic in that price range) and the flip up action works nicely after a bit of a tweak to adjust the tension on the arm bolts (a common issue with the flip-up type nets I tried, which tend be a bit stiff when new). So no real complaints there, considering no one else made anything I liked in terms of size (particularly when folded), design and build-quality in that price range. Anyway, I hope your BiL's waders are OK. (y)
Bought the vest a few years back (5 years maybe), the slingpack a bit earlier. I bought the vest to replace a Greys GRXi which I had donkey's. Did look at a new Greys but not the quality and seen some bad reviews. I now have a Simms vest (bought with a discount ;) ) and can't fault it.
As to the slingpack, I got an Orvis Gale Force. (y)
Landing nets: Haven't looked at Snowbee (for obvious reasons) but recently got a Wychwood bankman, not ideal as a bit difficult to operate one handed. I haven't used it yet in anger as not been out since getting it.

Vintage Badger

Bought the vest a few years back (5 years maybe), the slingpack a bit earlier. I bought the vest to replace a Greys GRXi which I had donkey's. Did look at a new Greys but not the quality and seen some bad reviews. I now have a Simms vest (bought with a discount ;) ) and can't fault it.
As to the slingpack, I got an Orvis Gale Force. (y)
Landing nets: Haven't looked at Snowbee (for obvious reasons) but recently got a Wychwood bankman, not ideal as a bit difficult to operate one handed. I haven't used it yet in anger as not been out since getting it.
I definitely can't currently recommend the Snowbee triangular telescopic folding net unless you want to change the net bag; I found the original large mesh bag sometimes even snagged on the net handle itself when trying to flip it open and I thought the net bag was far deeper than it needed to be (which increased the likelihood of snagging). Changing the net bag transformed it and I really like it now. If they changed the net to a smaller, rubberised mesh then I'd certainly suggest taking a look at one, and would switch to one myself.

As for value for money, the Leeda folding landing nets take some beating, but they don't pack away as small as the Snowbee (they have longer sections on the telescopic handle - perhaps less of an issue if bank fishing a stillwater rather than wading up a small, tree-lined river), so perhaps have a look at one of those if you see one in a tackle shop. I bought the small (40cm) Leeda as a stopgap, it has a knotless, small mesh net bag and I found it surprisingly robust given the £13.99 selling price, despite it having a plastic type hinge and locking system. As usual, I had to fine-tune the tension of the arm bolts to get a consistently good flip-up action without excessive play, but apart from that I think it's pretty unbeatable for the price. (y)

wobbly face

I have a spare net bag, yes it's a Snowbee but as you posted VB, it's a large mesh string type and deep. I got for one of the McCleans but ended up buying coarse net heads (rubber) and just took the mesh off, just a bit shallow than I'd like.
When it comes to rivers I use scoop nets, got 4 of them. I could also use one of the McCleans but too heavy for magnets.

bibio1st

There was a bike event in the next town with three options, 20, 46 or 78 mile routes, I hadn’t booked as I was supposed to be at an Errwood event, plans changed so I thought I’d do the 46 mile route but couldn’t start until this afternoon, no problem I thought as there were signs up showing the route, unfortunately the organisers were pretty good at tidying up after themselves and the signage was taken down, I knew roughly where the halfway point was but got lost on a few occasions but did the miles on my made up route, lesson learnt, book on next year or set off a lot earlier :rolleyes:

Steve

Novice

A winters day.
DBA0BCD0-8C7D-4B57-A14D-B0DFD0EC18F2.jpeg

wobbly face

Afternoon guys.
Grey and drizzly this morning but soon dried up, very little breeze.
Aldi shop done, taken my mother's to her along with her birthday present, she's 81 yet still 21 (so she thinks) today.
The waders have been put away, next outing I'll find out if they leak.
Got my nasty stillwater fly box out. :eek: Got quite a cap of emptiness (2 lots) so some tying still to do. Ideas for patterns on a pinhead please. :D

buzzer1234

Good going Steve in an hour, your new lure is obviously liked by the perch.🎣

Did my self assessment tax return this morning, always like to get it in early rather than wait till January.

Shopping & a visit to Hazel’s dad tomorrow hopefully get out on Wednesday & maybe Thursday.

Last edited:

Novice

Had a trip out to Glasson dock with a friend. Testing of the lures went well, very happy with them and so was my friend when I gave him some.

Just one perch between us and it was not mine. However I somehow escaped a blank with a first on tiny lures. I caught a small flounder. 😄😄😄
3B1B356A-4EEC-4A0D-8857-D46CA6F74303.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul_B

Had a trip out to Glasson dock with a friend. Testing of the lures went well, very happy with the and so was my friend when I gave him some.

Just one perch between us and it was not mine. However I somehow escaped a blank with a first on tiny lures. I caught a small flounder. 😄😄😄View attachment 43450
The wife's uncle Jim was a lock keeper there back in the late 70s

buzzer1234

Nice day, too nice for fishing at least the fish think so!! Had a few hours on Dingle, not what I was expecting earlier in the week, what should have been overcast skies was bright sun shine & a flat calm, plenty of fish topping but not willing to take my dry flies just play about with them.

About half a dozen takes but no hookups, came home warm & frustrated.
As Steve caught a flounder yesterday I’ll have to keep polishing the mantle. Maybe it will be a better day tomorrow. 👍