What are the Lancsy Lads up to next? (Volume 2) 2018-

buzzer1234

Early start on Dingle, had to wait for offers, missed first two then hooked one but it came off, then hooked & landed one, things went quiet so moved further down the water to the far corner. I was getting snagged because it’s shallower so changed my dropper for a black hopper, I missed a take but then caught one, things then went quiet again so decided to move near the cabin for half an hour, was soon into another fish which took the hopper off the top & then had two more to my egg fly plus quite a few takes. Had a few more takes to the hopper but didn’t connect. My half hour went to one & a half hours!!

Gave a few of my egg flies to a guy fishing fishing next to me, needless to say he caught one & lost one soon after.

I packed up at lunchtime.

black knight

Well done Tom the early bird catches the worm. Tom is your egg fly equiped with a foam rear?
Well my salmon fishing family came home early with a sorry tale of no fish. According to the bailiff the salmon are being caught out at sea before they can enter the river estuary. He also said this year has been one of the worst for poor catch returns. No fish were spotted today which is unusual. Apparently the river froze a few years ago and the stone weir below the main pool was badly damaged. Consequently water is flowing faster and the pool has a lower level. It was a brilliant holding pool and I personally have had dozens of salmon from this part of the river. The lads tell me it has ruined this hot spot. So it was blankety blank for all five. I felt a little better knowing there had been no sport but would have love to fish anyway. It's the excitement, the camaraderie, and the beautiful surroundings. I won't mention the socializing in the hotel bar at night. What goes on in Ecclefechan stays in Ecclefechan. I'm determined to get fit for next year's visit. I'll go for just one day with a gillie for safety.
Earl, the bailiff said the Nith is in a much worse state than the Annan. :cry::cry:

banjo298

I believe from many sources that both rivers are totally knackered with the Annan being the slightly better of the two. Despite buying a years ticket I’ve only fished the Nith about half a dozen times and not even seen a salmon this year. I’ve not been since June and will not even try again this year. Several well experienced local anglers have declared both rivers a lost cause with many not even buying tickets at all this year!

wobbly face

Morning guys.
It's wet 🌧️ and looks to be set in for the day with only a slight breeze, not much light either, will need the tying lamp on.
A lot of rivers are in bad state, despite this Government (well Mrs Bojo) being conservation minded, nothing is being done, infact the opposite of conservation and environment protection is happening.

Novice

My river seems To have less chub and pike than a few years back. I suspect poaching as I have found several make shift bank sticks etc.

bibio1st

Had a few hours on the Dane today, a stretch I’d not fished for 18 months or more, level was about as high as it’s safe to wade, changed a lot since last time, hard going with six grayling for my efforts, this being the best.
AF0034E4-EDD6-4116-97D6-8A113DE2D90B.jpeg

Steve

buzzer1234

Evening guys, a cold wind today.

Well done on the river with the Grayling Steve B, nice stamp of fish.

Alban I have a few with foam on when I want to fish on the top or washing line method, but most of them are without.

Have some decorating to do for our friends this week they are away for a few days this next week so will get it done then, it’s the kitchen so will be easier to do when there’s no cooking being done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black knight

Hi lads
Well done Steve on the Dane.
Tom are your egg flies weighted?
I believe from many sources that both rivers are totally knackered with the Annan being the slightly better of the two. Despite buying a years ticket I’ve only fished the Nith about half a dozen times and not even seen a salmon this year. I’ve not been since June and will not even try again this year. Several well experienced local anglers have declared both rivers a lost cause with many not even buying tickets at all this year!
Earl, this is so sad I've fished the Annan for 35 years and the Nith a couple of times. They are going to finish up salmonless at this rate. Four years ago I notice a drastic drop in salmon numbers our group had one fish between us and then a year later non. I think I am correct in saying things have continued to get worse.

Last edited:

buzzer1234

I have a few weighted Alban but prefer unweighted as I like a slow decent of the fly.

Novice

Well done Steve.

Clean up day today so no fishing. Eye clinic tomorrow for Joan if she can walk without too much pain.

wobbly face

Afternoon guys.
Grey start and a bit breezy, then it rained, then cleared up and brightened up, still breezy and keeps clouding over and going dark, but dry!
Aldi shop done and shopping taken to my mother's. Mum, did a lateral flow test as a friend of her has covid and she only visited last week, test was negative. She's got another to do Thursday before she goers away for the weekend, no guesses for who is going to have to register it online for her! :rolleyes:
Well done with the grayling Steve b. 🎣 Was almost tempted to get out myself yesterday.
Weather a bit mixed this week so will have to see what actually happens for getting out. :unsure:
Hope Joan has a better day tomorrow SteveN.

buzzer1234

Afternoon guys
Not been a bad day just the odd shower but plenty of sunshine.

Had a trip to Dingle this morning an early one again signed in at 7.35 by 8 o’clock I’d hooked & lost three fish but things improved after that, ended the session with 6 fish, all on egg flies.

Packed up before 10 o’clock as things had slowed down & I had jobs to do at home.

Best wishes for Joan tomorrow hope all goes well.

If the fish can’t see your lure Steve at least they will be able to hear it !!

Have Dingle AGM to attend tonight.

Paul_B

Fishing is cancelled for tomorrow as too many carers are off with flu, I've a day pencilled in for another try for next Wednesday.
On a brighter note, the mrs is now able to get upstairs to bed so the hospital bed is going back tomorrow. The way she's improving I should be ok to go fishing just after our clubs season closes :ROFLMAO:

Novice

Horrible out there today. Joan is in more pain this morning. Eye clinic later. Hope this rain stops and the roads are ok.

wobbly face

Morning guys.
Very grey again, drizzling and a bit of a breeze. 🌧️ I could have been tempted to get out if the weather was looking better! Twiddle thumbs and more sorting of the fly boxes. :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear of Joan's pain SteveN, always worst in a morning just hope she get's some relief before having to go out.
My mother's just phoned, her weekend away has been cancelled due to someone having covid where she is going. She's actually quite happy about it, she can now go to football Saturday.

Novice

I am considering a day out to Barnsfold for a change. Not sure when yet, depends on the weather. It won’t be this week looking at the forecast. If anyone wants to join me you are more than welcome.

Latest posts