Fly Fishing Forum banner

What are the Lancsy Lads up to next? (Volume 2) 2018-

694K views 19K replies 49 participants last post by  Novice 
#1 ·
Hi all
The Editor of the Forum wants to close our original thread as it is too big and takes too much space. It feels like the end of an era but in starting this new replacement thread I hope the posts about our lives and fishing exploits will carry on.

Our next fishing outing is 20th May at Blencarn near Penrith. there six of us and anyone on the Forum can join us you would be most welcome.

Best wishes to old and new friends and regular readers of the Lancsy Lads thread.

#14,916 · (Edited)
Evening guys.
Well done Tom and SteveN. ? ?
River looked good today, up a bit but very clear. Fishing wise, it was terrible for some unknown reason. I started in deep water with shrimp on point and pink bead head grub on dropper, nothing for an hour. Changed to my grey nymph on point, still nothing but the river had changed due to high water. One pool the main body of water flowing in had shifted to the left looking upstream, also seam to catch bottom more. John then turned up, not seen him for 2 years due to covid so good to have a chat. After lunch break I finally managed a small grayling, got stuck on bottom with nymph but it took the grub. Thought I'd lost it trying to free the nymph that then got stuck in my boot. Was surprised to see the grayling still on the dropper as I went to release the nymph. ?
Nothing again for ages until another small grayling obliged the dropper. That was it apart from 2 lost fish, b-i-l blanked and he too lost 2 fish. I wonder where all the grayling have gone??? :unsure:
I didn't take the new camera.
Noel, you might want to try some soft wax on the tying thread, just a smear. Seal seems wiry compared to hare.

#14,920 ·
Well done Tom, Ged, and Steve. It's encouraging hearing of other anglers' success.
The car is in for new discs and pads tomorrow £180-ouch. Next month it has its annual service guess what £180. I don't think the garage can think of another figure.
Vanita has spent four days tidying the loft room and having a massive clear out with three trips to the tip and two to the local charity shops. It was my turn to attack my large pile of untidy fishing tackle and fur and feathers. It took all of three hours to sort making sure I didn't throw anything away. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

#14,923 ·
I got a lot of my stuff from YGA/Lureflash and still have bags of stuff that I haven't used, I knew quite a few who worked there and got first dibs at the discount bins, I'm still using hooks from when they did home tying which stopped when they started up in South Korea.

My father and eldest brother taught John Gross how to fish and how to tie flies and fell out due to him starting it as a business rather than helping others for free, that was a long time ago and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then and both John and his son Steve have helped me along the way.

I

#14,925 ·
Plan B,
The very cheap hooks came today, I think they may be better for the front hook on the snakes as it will save me having to cut the bend off.

Jewellery Font Body jewelry Circle Metal

#14,931 ·
Plan B,
The very cheap hooks came today, I think they may be better for the front hook on the snakes as it will save me having to cut the bend off.

View attachment 47748
The size 4 bait holders do the business and they cut off easily, they're a lot easier to use than the golden hooks.
The zonker strip on the other hand is far to bushy and I've gone back to mink fur.

As for my bad back, I managed to get a doctors appointment yesterday and he was concerned that it could be a sign of Covid, after a natter on the phone he was happy that it was just a pulled muscle, I wasn't happy as it hurts :cry:

#14,926 ·
Bojo is dominating the news today. Evidence of two more parties has come to light and will no doubt appear in the office report due some time next week.
My son Alban and his wife are very ill today and their breathing affected.
My son Steve and daughter Amanda have ventured outside after a nasty bout of Covid. Amanada looks terrible and is having another week on sick leave. Infection casesare going up and so are hospital admissions. My D-in-L Joanne, at nurse at Nelson Hospital, is having her ward converted to a Covid ward. This has happened once before at the peak of the Covid 19 infections.

#14,927 ·
Did my first park run this morning, finished 115th out of 204 and 5th in my age group, getting round without any mucsle pulls was a bonus as it has some steep climbs, takes up a chunk of the morning which is a downside, usually run in the evening when it's dark and doesn't interfere with other things.
Tying some flies this afternoon and fish tomorrow, would like to get on a river but a touch high in these parts, going down very slowly and will be gin clear, might be a still water instead.

Steve

#14,932 ·
Well done on your park run Steve. It would kill me instantly if I tried something like that. :eek:
I've been up in my loft tidying up my workshop tools. I only brought a third with me when I moved two years ago. Vanita tried to get me to part with over half of what I've got now. There's no b----- chance. If I can I will add to them.