What bird's did you see while out fishing?

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
So here's an opening question to get the ball rolling on our latest forum for all you birdwatchers and twitchers out there.

For many of us including me, being out in the countryside is a big reason why I go fishing and I enjoy keeping an eye out for the local wildlife and birds are probably the most often seen.

So what are your regular sightings and also the rarer or less common birds you have seen while out fishing recently or in the past?

For me a recent trip down to Woodington Lakes in Hampshire gave up a splendid view of a sparrowhawk flying low and slow along the treeline - always a favourite.

maharg

On my trout loch, through the season, we often see;
Ospreys
Buzzards,
Perigrine,
Kestrel,
Sparrowhawks
barn owl
Ravens
Crows
Pheasants,
heron,
swans,
greylag
mallard
waterhen
Great crested grebe
coot
an odd kingfisher
woodpeckers
and all the usual songbirds.

3lbgrayling

On my trout loch, through the season, we often see;
Ospreys
Buzzards,
Perigrine,
Kestrel,
Sparrowhawks
barn owl
Ravens
Crows
magpie
Pheasants,
heron,
swans,
greylag
mallard
waterhen
Great crested grebe
coot
an odd kingfisher
woodpeckers
and all the usual songbirds.

I'll add to the list above,same loch.
Sedge warbler
willow warbler
Chiffchaff
Wren
snipe
Reed bunting
Pied wagtail
Grey wagtail
Goldfinch
Yellowhammer
Swallow
Sand martin
House martin
Swift
song thrush
Mistle thrush
Redstart
Fieldfare
Redwing
collared dove
Pochard
Widgeon
Goldeneye
Tufted duck
Goosander
Little grebe
Cormorant
Blue tit
Great tit
Coal tit
Long tailed tit
Linnet
Chafinch.
spotted flycatcher.

Jim

Last edited:
cormorant,then another cormorant a mallard duck and its mate,then a cormorant and another, another, a crow, then another cormorant.

fishertom

So here's an opening question to get the ball rolling on our latest forum for all you birdwatchers and twitchers out there.

For many of us including me, being out in the countryside is a big reason why I go fishing and I enjoy keeping an eye out for the local wildlife and birds are probably the most often seen.

So what are your regular sightings and also the rarer or less common birds you have seen while out fishing recently or in the past?

For me a recent trip down to Woodington Lakes in Hampshire gave up a splendid view of a sparrowhawk flying low and slow along the treeline - always a favourite.

I thought I'd started a thread this morning to kick things off. Must have done something wrong. Anyway, I was commenting how I love to see swallows picking up duns from the water surface. The earliest I've spotted them (even got the lingo!) is 7th april on the mid clyde feeding on a hatch of dark olives as were the trout - I even caught a few (trout that is, not olives!) on a 14 greenwell. Swallows are amazingly fast and quite capable of picking up your artificial on the back cast and being hooked. Never had one over 2 ounces and not very good to eat!! Only kidding twitchers; Cheers, Fishertom

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
That's quite a list from that one loch already! Some real 'goodies' in there too. :thumbs:

easker1

Eagle, Buzzard, Osprey, Sea eagle, black and red throated divers, Goosanders
Mergansers,Hen harrier,loads of little brown jobs,golden eye ducks,Mallard,
and one year there were some Manadarin ducks, dippers, dabchick, skuas,
kestrel, Oh,and an otter, easker1

bunc

There arent many birds out when I go fishing usually.
I used to see most of them on a Friday or Saturday night. I kept a diary and so far Ive seen;
Greater Flatonitsback
Lesser Shortskirt
Spotted Slummer
Legless Pink Strumpet.
Greyslag Goosed
Spewchucker

I used to get mobbed by birds regularly but they dont bother me much these days.

boorod

Swallow, Sand martin, House martin, Swift, B/H Gull, Common gull, Spotted flycatcher, G.S.W, Osprey, Kestrel, Buzzard, Peregrine, Barn owl, Tawny owl, Sparrowhawk, willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Reed bunting, Sedge warbler, Lapwing,Curlew, Snipe, Common Sandpiper, Oystercatcher, Ringed plover, Mallard, Mute swan, Whooper swan, Greylag, Wood pigeon, Starling, Blackbird, Thrush-song/mistle, Blackcap, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Skylark, Meadow pipit, Pied wagtail, Grey wagtail, Dipper, Carrion crow, Kingfisher, Oh! and the dreaded Goosander and Cormorant.:eek:mg:

nigel67

I see red kites a lot when I'm fishing and I have a peregrine that keeps taking black birds out of my garden and the odd pigeon it's great to see it in action.im not into bird watching but I like to see the birds of prey.

Last edited:
Cormorants more cormorants,a robin and a crow with a hood on(is he a robber) then another cormorant and my mallard ducks breeding happily to feed the crows and sea gulls.

Keep up the protection RSPB we will soon have only predators left and I love watching the birdlife but there needs to be a balance.

nigel67

There's a cormorant at the fishery where I go it flies over to have a look then 10 minutes later its back with its mate.and as for crows.:eek:mg:

bigbroony

We had these couple of burds on the reservoir for a few month last year, not a clue where they came from, escapees no doubt.
Sorry about the pic :eek:mg:
BB

Paul_B

Quite a few where I fish as its popular with the scantly clad joggers (as luck would have it) :)

also canada geese, cormorants, coots, kingfishers in that order

PS its bad luck to look up when geese fly overhead :doh:

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Paul - reminds me of an old rhyme I once heard....

Birdy, birdy in the sky
Doing whitewash in my eye
Me no laugh, me no cry
Me just glad that cows don't fly!

:D