Fly Fishing Forum banner
181 - 200 of 235 Posts
Is amazing the number of times I see trout rise to feathers, particularly white/lighter coloured ones! Maybe the time for the white baby doll again!
These were grey - and it had eaten a dose of them.

Is a cut and pasted web photo of a Sawyers grey goose nymph, as well you know.
Why the aggression about a follow up to trout eating grey geese feathers?
I didn't know that was a Sawyer's grey goose nymph. No aggression from me. I didn't see the connection between floating feathers and floating CDCs on the one hand and a nymph on the other hand.

ShĂ­t load of grouse up at the loch today. One or two red kites about too but too far away to get a decent photo.
Did manage a shot of these 2 grouse though at full 20x zoom with the wee Sony compact.

Plant community Plant Bedrock Watercourse Groundcover

Our club water yesterday...

Big skeins of geese flying north for the summer...

Osprey hunting alongside us...

And a red-breasted merganser...

Weird looking thing. Every day's a bad hair day! ?

He seemed content to be looking for minnows around the margins...

Dunno if you can use those black and white barred feathers instead of teal?

Our club water yesterday...

Big skeins of geese flying north for the summer...

Osprey hunting alongside us...

And a red-breasted merganser...

Weird looking thing. Every day's a bad hair day! ?

He seemed content to be looking for minnows around the margins...

Dunno if you can use those black and white barred feathers instead of teal?

These breed on one of the streams I nest, think they eat trout too??

These breed on one of the streams I nest, think they eat trout too??
I'm sure they are an equal menace on rivers to goosanders. However, on our loch, the trout are mostly going to be too big for them. (Cormorants are our big problem! :mad:) We have a population of minnows, though, and I am sure that is what that guy is after. If it's keeping him away from the trout and salmon parr in the nearby rivers, he is welcome to be where he is.

I'm sure they are an equal menace on rivers to goosanders. However, on our loch, the trout are mostly going to be too big for them. (Cormorants are our big problem! :mad:) We have a population of minnows, though, and I am sure that is what that guy is after. If it's keeping him away from the trout and salmon parr in the nearby rivers, he is welcome to be where he is.
Our beck is black over with minnows in Summer, so hopefully they feed on those, we have a lot of cormorants locally, being near the coast, but the rivers are fairly densely tree lined and the cormorant's apparently don't like trees above them, so we don't get too many. They seem to target the coarse fish in the local lakes.

By the by...

I got my head in my hands on the photography forum I frequent. A guy from the USA posted a photo of a female goosander, with the caption, 'merganser'.

I enquired... "Not a goosander?"

He replied... "We call those mergansers here."

I made the fatal mistake of asking, "What do you call red-breasted mergansers?"

He said, "We call them red-breasted mergansers."

Didn't I feel a fool! ?

Our beck is black over with minnows in Summer, so hopefully they feed on those, we have a lot of cormorants locally, being near the coast, but the rivers are fairly densely tree lined and the cormorant's apparently don't like trees above them, so we don't get too many. They seem to target the coarse fish in the local lakes.
I've got an interesting observation about cormorants from the last week or so, but it's worth putting in its own thread, so I will do that...

Reactions: Hardrar
So here's an opening question to get the ball rolling on our latest forum for all you birdwatchers and twitchers out there.

For many of us including me, being out in the countryside is a big reason why I go fishing and I enjoy keeping an eye out for the local wildlife and birds are probably the most often seen.

So what are your regular sightings and also the rarer or less common birds you have seen while out fishing recently or in the past?

For me a recent trip down to Woodington Lakes in Hampshire gave up a splendid view of a sparrowhawk flying low and slow along the treeline - always a favourite.
Ospreys and Marsh Harriers last week at the Goldenloch

Not fishing but on the flat roof of a big farmfoods store on Oldham road Manchester there were about 3 dozen Lapwings, only seen them in country areas before, couldn’t get a photo as I was driving.

Steve

181 - 200 of 235 Posts