What bird's did you see while out fishing?

Mostyn

Paul - reminds me of an old rhyme I once heard....

Birdy, birdy in the sky
Doing whitewash in my eye
Me no laugh, me no cry
Me just glad that cows don't fly!

:D

**** poem; but I love it.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
**** poem; but I love it.

It's a goodie Mostyn :D

and the Oxford dictionary agrees with me so ner! ;)

Definition of rhyme
noun

[count noun] a short poem in which the sound of the word or syllable at the end of each line corresponds with that at the end of another:
"Harriet sang Ben little rhymes"

Cap'n Fishy

I see red kites a lot when I'm fishing and I have a peregrine that keeps taking black birds out of my garden and the odd pigeon it's great to see it in action.im not into bird watching but I like to see the birds of prey.

Yep, same here - I'm aware of certain things with the smaller birds - I always associate Coldingham Loch with yellowhammers and warblers - simply because you are hearing them all day when you are there. Also, corncrakes when fishing the Uist lochs (makes sound of thumb nail being dragged along teeth of comb :p).

But I like to watch out for the birds of prey. So far, I've spotted eagles - gold and white-tailed - buzzards (my favourite), peregrines, hen harriers, short-eared owls, merlins, hobbies and goshawks. Me and Wee Jimmy watched a goshawk trying to catch a duck on Loch Bhac - brilliant :thumbs:

You could add a secondary thread: "Birds I've had an offer from while fly fishing..."

For me:

grebe
black-headed gull
tern
swallow
house martin
sand martin
wheatear (dapping)

There have been times when fishing dries on stillwater when the swallows and martins have been quite persistant to the point of picking the fly up off the surface and trying to fly off with it. Even when it all goes tight and the fly gets yanked out their beak, they come back and have another go! Fortunately not hooked one to date, though had one incident of a swift taking a dropper fly while playing a fish. We managed to save the wee guy OK. Wee Jimmy can tell you the tale...
:eek:

Col

lochbois

Hopefully i am getting me licence soon for fishing .
But this morning i walked my dog acress our school field and i was happy to see the first Swallow of 2013 at close range.
I did think i saw one a week ago but it was a cold wind and i have trouble with 3 D vision because i only have one eye and i find its best to keep quite untill i get a closer look .
Most times i carry a monocular when fishing and dog walking ,but its typical when you dont have a camera or a monocular you see the best things.:)

fredaevans

Just about every Raptor known in my part of the world. In our rural areas its quite common to see the power companies have built nesting platforms or pirtches on top of wooden telephone/power poles.:thumbs:

A very good thing for a lot of reasons.

beryl

Black redstart was quite unusual. Haven't seen a dipper this year and that's quite unusual too. Less Chiffchaffs but the wren and the robin seem to soldier on regardless.

nc rokhopr

Pair of eagles that are often my fishing companions on Lake Santeetlah and its tributaries. It rarely takes these eagles more than 24 hours to hone in on a tributary that's been freshly stocked with trout by the state. Easy pickings for us all!

We have violent storms/winds in the high elevations of W NC and nearly every year their nest gets blown away but they always rebuild in same general area come Spring-at peak of a ridge overlooking a large area of southern exposed shallows that are full of bait fish. I think they are a very special, old, wise, experienced pair of eagles as they raise multiple eaglets every year and dominate the best fishing turf in my area. I often see them stealing fish from ospreys.

CheoahEagles.jpg

_MG_5493copysmall-2_zps21355bba.jpg

_MG_5519copysmall-1_zpse480de0c.jpg

_MG_5543_2copysmall-1_zpsc9f816cc.jpg

And another fishing buddy, the heron of Raven Forks. He always flies up onto this same snag when he's gotten a trout!

CherokeeHeron.jpg

T

troutbum67

Pigeons when I do a bit of urban fishing ,usually under the bridge and dippers ,wagtails ,kingfishers and gooseanders in winter

astaman

Up in Unst last Saturday looking for a late sea trout and was delighted to see the snow buntings back. Toughest little guys of all. Fly north for the Summer and then fly back to Shetland for the winter. Total respect.

bill1

The other day I put up a Snipe. It reminded me that it had been a long time since I last saw one.

An "ordinary" bird but such a lovely uplifting sight as they twist away.

I do hope that they are not yet another bird in declinel

Paul_B

When this thread started we occasionally saw a couple of cormorant as well as the usual waterfowl on our lakes and reservoirs.
Now its unusual to see less than seven cormorants on any stocked water :(

jameswaine

oooh I haven't seen this thread before!

Goosanders
Cormorants
Herons
Mallards
Kingfishers
Dippers
Ravens
Long-tailed tits
Goldcrest
Mistle thrush
GS woodpecker
Wagtails
Robins
Bullfinch
Kites
Kestrels
Treecreepers
Various gulls

Probably a lot more that I haven't yet noticed :D

snoop

Saw a pair of kingfishers a year or two ago while fishing the Kirtle near Annan.Amazing to see in real life,never saw one before apart from t.v!

ohanzee

There is a gold crest on my back doorstep, new to the neighbourhood and blissfully unaware to the strange quietness you get all around when there is a sparrow hawk near:eek:mg:

Cap'n Fishy

The other day I put up a Snipe.

Funny you should mention that - I put one up, grayling fishing on Sunday - I nearly stood on it and I just about kakked myself when it burst out from under me.

Watching the way they corkscrew away, it's no wonder a left-and-right brace of snipe is so highly regarded among shooters. Watching the guys I go out with - some of them are struggling to hit a pheasant gliding over their heads... with both barrels. They'd never get a left and right brace of snipe in a month of Sundays. :p

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Re: What birds did you see while out fishing?

A few shots of birds taken while fishing...

<click on images for a better size>

Slavonian grebe on Loch Knockie...

No long lens with me, so here's one I prepared earlier when not trying to fish at the same time...

Guillemots on the Lake of Menteith!

Guillemots on Loch Leven too!

Even a cormorant can make a good composition...

Bonxie!

Black-throated diver - saw them on at least a dozen lochs last season, but never got adequately close to one...

Did better with the only red-throated diver I saw last year (South Uist)

Whooper...

Fulmar having a wash on Loch Swannay...

Kittiwakes, too...

Col

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

There is a gold crest on my back doorstep...

What do you fish for on your back doorstep? :p