What bird's did you see while out fishing?

3lbgrayling

Saw the 1st oyster catcher of the year on our loch. about a week early by my diary. the others will be along soon.
and saw a curlew,again a bit early, normally arrive on the hill in a big flock(30+) round about the 1st week of march.that's when you know spring has arrived.The Goldeneye males were displaying good style.

Jim

Cap'n Fishy

Cheers Bill - forgot this one...

White-tailed sea eagle on Loch Shiel...

Just a pity I didn't get the long lens on - it was raining, and my bag was stowed away when the chance suddenly came. Also once saw one of them at the Lake of Menteith.

Also on Shiel - bit of an oddity on freshwater lochs - a couple of times a gannet flew down the loch. Kind of looked like it was using it as a flight path, though I have seen a gannet flying over Loch Leven.

Col

beryl

A gannet makes the most wonderful photo. Had a Wren sit for a few seconds six feet away yesterday. Always blown away by the precision of their plumage it's like looking at some of those election microscope pics but without the magnification.

Cap'n Fishy

A good one to look out for, anyone fishing South Uist...

There is a golden eagle who's territory takes in a patrol route along the ridge on the north side of Mill Loch. It's pretty dependable - we've seen it most times we've been on Mill - just never had it close enough to make a decent shot.

One of our guys got this shot of it in 2010 when it came down and landed on the leccy pole out the back of the cafe.

Col

magicman

Wonderful photos on this thread. I was confronted yesterday with a photograph which made me feel ashamed of some fishermen. Carp anglers. My friend a very keen birdwatcher and authority on Dartfords Warblers and Nightjars, took a picture of a Mute Swan on our local river, the Weaver in Cheshire, it had a length of line with swivel attached to an object which I later discovered from a coarse fishing website was a device called a Spbomb, used for delivering groundbait accurately. These guys "fish" all night for very big Carp in our local waters and this has obviously been cast in the dark fouled up and lost. Why do these guys use all this pariffinally to catch fish, Bite indicators, etc. I'd no idea until I looked at the website how much hardware is being used in the name of fishing. Animal rescue were called out and the picture will appear in the county newspapers. A bl--dy disgrace. I think the river and canal trust are going to be lobbied about the use of such things. The trouble is most people have no idea when it comes to fishing, they just put us all in one box. Do you think it's time to Ban the Spomb.

bill1

Do you think it's time to Ban the Spomb.

You can ban it by all means. It won't make any real difference because the elephant in the room is whether it's time to ban forcing a sharp bit of metal into a fish's mouth and then dragging it around by it's face for our amusement.

Fishtales

I've seen most of the common birds mentioned so I have tried to think of the more rare sightings I've had.

Golden Eagle -- I've seen a few of these; around Loch Awe; Assynt; Cairngorm. The one that stands out though was in Assynt when I caught a shadow drifting by in my peripheral vision. The dark shape was below me in the cloud and it passed behind the ridge I was on then it came over the ridge and across the bottom of the small loch I was fishing and up over the Col I would eventually cross back over to get to my tent.

Yellow Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Rock Pipit

Meadow Pipit

Yellow Hammer

Ravens -- I usually hear them before I see them

Ptarmigan -- when fishing Loch A'an behind Cairngorm. Closest I got to a picture was this empty eggshell in a nest :)

20070629-cairngorm-025.jpg

Dunlin

14_05_2005_loch_ba_009b.jpg

Stonechat

14_05_2005_loch_ba_016.jpg

Plover

05_2005_inchnadamph_001a_plover.jpg

Cuckoo

There are probably others that I can't remember.

3lbgrayling

Wonderful photos on this thread. I was confronted yesterday with a photograph which made me feel ashamed of some fishermen. Carp anglers. My friend a very keen birdwatcher and authority on Dartfords Warblers and Nightjars, took a picture of a Mute Swan on our local river, the Weaver in Cheshire, it had a length of line with swivel attached to an object which I later discovered from a coarse fishing website was a device called a Spbomb, used for delivering groundbait accurately. These guys "fish" all night for very big Carp in our local waters and this has obviously been cast in the dark fouled up and lost. Why do these guys use all this pariffinally to catch fish, Bite indicators, etc. I'd no idea until I looked at the website how much hardware is being used in the name of fishing. Animal rescue were called out and the picture will appear in the county newspapers. A bl--dy disgrace. I think the river and canal trust are going to be lobbied about the use of such things. The trouble is most people have no idea when it comes to fishing, they just put us all in one box. Do you think it's time to Ban the Spomb.

It's called a SPOD.

Jim

magicman

Sorry Jim, I beg to differ. A spod is an entirely different piece of kit to Spomb. It looks different and works differently. Check out Angling Direct. As I said, I didn't know what it was and had looked it up on a website. There's also a video showing the underwater performance of both items. When you see the Spomb (Maxi) and imagine it dangling on a 15" cord you may realize my concern. It would prevent flight and feeding. I think it's a far cry from a hook left in a fishes mouth. This is a big coarse fishing area and some fishermen catching small skimmers in matches remove them from the hook so fast that many small fish are returned minus a top lip.

3lbgrayling

Apologizes,I did not even know they existed.I am still confused though as the video I saw shows them being cast out and instantly retrieved. no laying in or ledgering with them. :confused::confused:

Jim

Cap'n Fishy

Ravens -- I usually hear them before I see them

I love a raven for company when I'm fishing - great the way they chat to themselves as they fly over high above. :thumbs:

Ospreys and buzzards are now so common, it's rare not to see them on a lot of the lochs these days.

A few other encounters with raptors...

Sea eagle on hill loch, Benbecula.

Golden eagle on Langabhat, Lewis.

Goshawk attempting to take out a duck on Loch Bhac... and failing - though not without a damned good try.

Peregrines hunting out over the water on Loch Lomond, Ballo, Coldingham, Castle (South Uist). Also a peregrine having an extended chase with a snipe while grayling fishing.

Hen harriers on Fada, North Uist and Cherigal, Caithness.

A couple more good 'fishing ticks':

Arctic skuas and great northern divers on Loch Meadie (Caithness). Golden plovers on Trealabhal, Lewis.

I once had a wheatear come out over the water towards my dapping fly, thinking it was coming to catch a daddy-long-legs. It got to within a couple of feet before twigging it wasn't what it thought it was and aborting its mission. :p

Col

Last edited:

Fishtales

Hen harriers on Fada, North Uist and Cherigal, Caithness.

Col

That is one I forgot. It was hovering and moving along a fence line twenty feet above me on a hill loch south of Oban :) It was a Male.

I am also seeing quite a few Kite around too in some areas.

I can remember seeing my first Osprey on the LOM not long after they first arrived back in Scotland.

trouble_haul

Sorry Jim, I beg to differ. A spod is an entirely different piece of kit to Spomb. It looks different and works differently. Check out Angling Direct. As I said, I didn't know what it was and had looked it up on a website. There's also a video showing the underwater performance of both items. When you see the Spomb (Maxi) and imagine it dangling on a 15" cord you may realize my concern. It would prevent flight and feeding. I think it's a far cry from a hook left in a fishes mouth. This is a big coarse fishing area and some fishermen catching small skimmers in matches remove them from the hook so fast that many small fish are returned minus a top lip.

So on the basis that an individual couldn't cast something and use it for its designed purpose - leaving it snagged in a tree - you want to ban it?

On that basis ban everything. If you started a list of products that could be harmful if not used as intended you'd be here for a very long time. I assume you have never left a fly in a tree, or dropped one on the bank and been unable to find it again.

On topic - i often fish for barbel on the Warwickshire Avon. Seeing a kingfisher is always a highlight and always nicely punctuates the long waiting game. However, i am no authority on birdlife or identification, having once mistaken a glider for a buzzard....

Last edited: