What bird's did you see while out fishing?

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
last week or so the london plane tree out side my window has a young couple of magpies "building" their nest ,rather entertaining watching sticks being dragged through the branches ,dropped ,regained re dropped ,blown away .
They are busy at the moment,and think the job will take a while.

haggstock

On Thursday, after an hour in the Wharfe, I decided it was too cold and windy, so I drove up to the main tourist car park at Bolton Abbey and had a walk onto the island above " Waters Meet" and plonked myself into the wooden hide there ( with my Binos) I spent half an hour or so and saw in no particular order. Wagtails, grey and pied, robins, a heron, mallards , blackbird , a pair of Mandarins , two Goosander ducks and a drake . On a nice bright day the Mandarin drake looked spectacular flying down the river . The most surprising sight however was a relectable looking middle aged couple walking down the far bank, they were dressed in " British Standard Middle Class Hiker " clothing. After a quick look around the male of the species selected a nice 1/2 lb lump of stone and flung it with all his might at the Mandarins, thankfully it fell about 10' short. What the bloody hell would he have done if he'd hit one ? Send the Mrs in to retrieve it ? Faith restored in human nature I phoned my mate and met him in Bradford for an early beer and a curry :D

rikb

I am no twitcher, but saw a bird fly down river on the Tweed the other week.
Electric blue tail.....quite striking in what was a damp grey day......ignorant on these things, can only think it would be a kingfisher????

Cap'n Fishy

I am no twitcher, but saw a bird fly down river on the Tweed the other week.
Electric blue tail.....quite striking in what was a damp grey day......ignorant on these things, can only think it would be a kingfisher????

Deffo a kingfisher. I get the impression they are increasing in numbers. I see them in the heart of the city these days...

Portobello - Baileyfield Industrial Estate...

Col

aunt_maud

Having a laugh at your expense.
I saw an Osprey by the local stream the other day. I've been seeing it now for three years or so.

Wee Jimmy

I saw a pair of tits (great I reckon) and a chough once.....which was nice...:thumbs:

Wee Jimmy

I never tire of staring at them anytime I'm lucky enough to spot a pair.

aunt_maud

Having a laugh at your expense.
I know it's not a bird, but my brother says he gets to see a lot of beaver in Sweden.

oldsalty

It always makes my day when I see the kingfishers on our stretch of the Earn. Most of the time its a wee blue n red flash as he streaks past but sometimes I see him sitting on a branch and get a better look.

Magical.

haggstock

Last weeK first Curlews I've seen this year, 3 of them flying around Barden Bridge on the top of the Bolton Abbey waters, their cry is very distinctive.