What bird's did you see while out fishing?

Cap'n Fishy

Re: What birds did you see while out fishing?

Lake of Menteith yesterday...

Loads of Goldeneye
Great crested grebes
Guillemots
4 Buzzards together
Pair of red kites
Geese
Cormorants
Goosanders
... and a dunnock singing its heart out in the car-park.

Col

beryl

Nothing special but I do like seeing a dipper occasionally. Sadly, always above the water rather than below. Now that would be something. Anyone seen this feeding behaviour?

sewinbasher

Apparently the ospreys that have been frequenting Brenig for the last couple of years are finally sitting on eggs making it at least three, maybe four, nesting pairs in Wales.

kernel gadaffi

I see the usual suspects on most days I'm on the river, but there is one bird that is prevalent only 4 miles away, but never appears on the water I fish and there are plenty of places for them to nest, there are no sand martins here, very odd.

easker1

A pair of Goldfinches hanging around, usual coal tits , Blue tits, and many House sparrows, in the US recently I was treated to the rare sight of approx. 50 Whimbrels along the beach where we were,also King eiders in the surf, also the local Humming Birds, and one of the rarest Gulls, Heermans gull, very Localised easker1

redietz

Ospreys
Buzzards,
Perigrine,
Kestrel,
Sparrowhawks
barn owl
Ravens
Crows
Pheasants,
heron,
swans,
greylag
mallard
waterhen
Great crested grebe
coot
an odd kingfisher
woodpeckers
and all the usual songbirds.
I realize that I'm replying to a five year old thread, but it strikes me that even though I live in the US, my list wouldn't be all that different. In fact, I have to read down to greylag before I get to a bird that I haven't seen while fishing here. Partially, this is because the name given apply to multiple species (like "crow" or "heron"). In many cases, they're exactly the same birds (ospreys, barn owls, mallards, peregrines) or closely related species that have the same name (kestral, coot). Depending on which ornithological society you believe, the waterhen/moorhen may or may not be the same species as our common gallinule. For others, we've just appropriated a name and applied it to unrelated species (vultures are commonly called buzzards, although are red-tailed hawk is a much closer match and a sparrow hawk here is just another name for a kestral.)

I see more than the "odd" kingfisher. I'm pretty much guaranteed to see 4 or more (of the "belted" variety) on every trip to the stream.

Cap'n Fishy

Re: What birds did you see while out fishing?

Osprey on Loch Eye last week...

Also black-throated divers on Lochs Eye, Craggie, Beannach and Merkland...

Two of our guys happened upon a golden eagle that was right down on the track, going up to Craggie. We were just 2 minutes behind them and missed the whole thing! :(

Col

tingvollr

Saw a pair of two-barred crossbills whilst out fishing today. I think they are quite rare in the UK but are occasionally seen up here in Shetland. I only had a mobile phone with me so the pictures I took were poor. It made up for catching nothing very much.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk