What bird's did you see while out fishing?

3lbgrayling

On the way down to the river yesterday I added
2 red kites(close up)
1 Hen harrier (F)
sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Linnet
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Heron
Lark
meadow pippit.
I am looking forward to lake tomorrow to see if I can pickup some migrants

Jim

original cormorant

I don't know what I saw - it was from a distance on the edge of a salt flat where I was prospecting for mullet. There was nothing there then a crow flew over and spooked maybe 50 birds of different sizes. The birds were invisible before being spooked, how many invisible fish were also spooked invisibly.

scobo

Bit (very) late to the party with this but saw a black throated diver last year while fishing a loch in Perthshire.
Never seen them that far south before.

JoeOh

A change from the usual cormorants, I saw a Shag at Rutland. By the way, I was in a boat, not peeping through car windows. Solitary bird, Barnhill Creek.

3lbgrayling

I had a very close call with a Kingfisher today.Landed close up.but only had my wee compact camera.and by the time I got it focused it was gone.Dam and blast.

Jim

Cap'n Fishy

I had a very close call with a Kingfisher today.Landed close up.but only had my wee compact camera.and by the time I got it focused it was gone.Dam and blast.

Jim

I was chasing the KF in the botanics up and down last week, Jim. I was standing on one of the bridges over the stream, looking for it, when it flew straight past me, going up the way. I went round and up to look for it. Stood patiently. No sign... then a "Splosh!", and it emerged from the stream, right in front of my nose! Must have been hidden by branches a few feet away. When it emerged, it didn't go back to where it came from, probably because I was so close to it. It went on, further up. So, I went on upstream. When I got there, there was a woman with a baby in a pram. She saw me with the camera and asked, "Are you looking for the kingfisher?" "Yes", says I. "It was here a few minutes ago, but it went downstream", she says... Aargh!!! I went back down. Never got another look at it.

Meanwhile, my mate has got shots of it just about every time he goes there... so many he has got bored with kingfishers (otters too) and is looking for something more challenging now!

Here are a couple of his ones - the sort he's been getting every time he is there...

Smack-bang in the middle of Edinburgh!

Col

Vermontdrifter

I have never been lucky enough to see a kingfisher that was not in motion. Always just an electric blue streak darting by!

bibio1st

I have never been lucky enough to see a kingfisher that was not in motion. Always just an electric blue streak darting by!

That’s my usual view, occasionally I have disturbed one without seeing it first:rolleyes:

There’s a video on FB showing one landing on an anglers rod after coming out the water after a dive.

Steve

Hardrar

I’ve put this up before, but I used to do a fair bit of coarse angling too and a pal of mine long since retired to the North West of Scotland and I used to bet at coarse matches, how many Kingfishers we could manage to have sitting on our float rods, He once managed three in an evening match!

3lbgrayling

Not bad today.Got kingfisher/goosander/tufftie/widgeon/ pinkfoot/greylag/canada/Mallard/ little grebe/greatcrested grebe/mute swan./buzzard./kestrel/raven/woodcock/redwing/fieldfare/coal/great/blue.Tit./robin/dunnock /wren/chaffie.normal gulls.and Cormorant.and might have sen my 1st of the year inland ,Curlew.

Jim

Last edited:

diawl bach

Saw my first great white egret Ardea alba two days ago on the Teifi, the little egrets are becoming quite common and we occasionally get them on the fields after a flood but this bird was the same size as a heron, a whopper - assumed it was an albino heron in fact.

Looked it up and apparently it's a large white heron ( why egret??) which visits Wales in spring and winter (despite current restrictions) although ther've been a few sightings on the Teifi wetland reserve in summer. A spectacular bird to see, bright white, vivid yellow bill, always good to spot a new species too.

Latest posts